Neanderthal locomotion

norseman

51 minutes ago, norseman said:

Some take aways and parallels, according to Ostman’s account.

1)They had a primitive form of language.

2)They squatted straight down and up, knees out to the sides to and from the ground.

3) They were climbers and had a strong big toe. They could support their body weight with just the big toe.

4) They wove cedar bark and stuffed it with dried moss to form blankets or mats.

1 hour ago, norseman said:

They could support their body weight with just the big toe.

Now that's an interesting note. All of the prints that I think are not human that we have found have an exceptionally large and robust big toe. 

An interesting addition to the discussion of clothing.

BBC - Earth - We did not invent clothes simply to stay warm

One neat comment -  "That technology really helped out humans, they could very quickly go into new habitats," he says. "So rather than having to evolve the ability to live there, you can simply create better clothing."

and

While modern humans had more sophisticated tools and clothes, Neanderthals were not the dumb brutes once depicted, and there is no reason to believe they were generally less sophisticated than us. They may simply not have needed to cover up completely, and when eventually they did, their technology failed them.

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

On 7/18/2021 at 1:19 PM, norseman said:

.......If your looking for “peer reviewed” material on Sasquatch?

You might as well quit the forum now and subscribe to Science magazine!.........

This is an excellent observation, but probably in a way you didn't intend. There are plenty of biologists, anatomists, scientists on bipedal locomotion, primatologists, anthropologists, etc who have reviewed all kinds of sasquatchery and documented their opinions. The "peer review" problem appears to be which scientists have done so, and the fact that those who have not are so critical of their acceptance. It reminds me of political/ideological parties fighting about directions and goals when what we need is simple management of common, everyday needs.

7 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Now that's an interesting note. All of the prints that I think are not human that we have found have an exceptionally large and robust big toe. 

An interesting addition to the discussion of clothing.

BBC - Earth - We did not invent clothes simply to stay warm

One neat comment -  "That technology really helped out humans, they could very quickly go into new habitats," he says. "So rather than having to evolve the ability to live there, you can simply create better clothing."

and

While modern humans had more sophisticated tools and clothes, Neanderthals were not the dumb brutes once depicted, and there is no reason to believe they were generally less sophisticated than us. They may simply not have needed to cover up completely, and when eventually they did, their technology failed them.

Great article.  Thanks, Madison

12 hours ago, MonkeMan said:

Stop. You're conflating your ignorance of the field with "cherry- picked anthro-babble" and if more people tried looking at the evidence in a scientific light instead of positing Aliens, Interdimensional beings, Shapeshifting sorcery or whatever other crap then it probably would be taken more seriously by the "establishment". 

But no, you want to act like we're epistemologically impotent simply because the subject of our curiosity is an unknown organism.

@Wooly BoogerHave you shapeshifted into a MonkeMan?? :biggrin:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, norseman said:

Definition of flat footedness. And it affects up to 30% of modern humans. Some of it is hereditary. Some of it is injury or lack of proper growth from childhood.

https://www.drfihman.com/blog/item/449-are-flat-feet-hereditary.html

Yes and those 30% tend to have complications with running and walking. Hence, why even if we didn't have the myriad of fossils and footprints showcasing the arch of the Neandertal foot it would still be a ridiculous assertion to begin with. It's extremely detrimental to the way Neandertal man, Homo saiens, Erectus, and Heidelbergensis would hunt. Still waiting.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Neanderthals were not the dumb brutes once depicted

Indeed, Neandertals had symbolic cave art, ornamentation, clothing, complex structures, bone flutes, medicine, seafaring technology, birch tar wax they used as glue and they even had their own unique way of creating tools. If they had the same Neural architecture as Modern humans they'd be no doubt even more intelligent in the sense of pure computational power.

The idea that Neandertals were apish brutes with flat feet, bow legged posture, and low intelligence is an inaccurate stereotype that was first postulated in the 50's and it wasn't until the 80's that this association was challenged in any meaningful way. Now we are realizing how morphologically modern they actually were.

And this is my biggest issue with the Neandertal origin hypothesis. They would have had to lose all of that complex culture, grow 2-3ft, regain enormous amounts of hair, lose most of their brain size and intelligence, and adopt a niche that was already filled by black bears!

Edited by MonkeMan
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Kiwakwe said:

@Wooly BoogerHave you shapeshifted into a MonkeMan?? :biggrin:

58 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

What sort of sorcery is this???

LOL if I could shape shift I'd turn into a rocket and leave this planet.

I was watching some documentary about UFO's and Bigfoot and there was one point in the show when some man turned to a crowd of people and said something along the lines as "Bigfoot if you are here show us a sign of your presence!". of course nothing happened but the narrator showed the security footage and highlighted a white moth flying around and claimed that bigfoot had shape shifted into it as a way of showing he was there.

Needless to say I about died of a brain aneurysm right there.

Edited by MonkeMan
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MonkeMan said:

I was watching some documentary about UFO's and Bigfoot and there was one point in the show when some man turned to a crowd of people and said something along the lines as "Bigfoot if you are here show us a sign of your presence!". of course nothing happened but the narrator showed the security footage and highlighted a white moth flying around and claimed that bigfoot had shape shifted into it as a way of showing he was there.

Doesn't matter. Proves nothing scientific beyond gullible stupidity. Flat footedness or non flat footedness proves nothing either. In fact, very little proves anything regarding the Sasquatch, and what Neanderthal locomotion has to do with the Sasquatch, or not do with it, is beyond me. May as well be discussing nose shape or ear positioning as far as I'm concerned. The end result will be the same.

Edited by hiflier

2 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Doesn't matter. Proves nothing scientific beyond gullible stupidity. Flat footedness or non flat footedness proves nothing either. In fact, very little proves anything regarding the Sasquatch, and what Neanderthal locomotion has to do with the Sasquatch, or not do with it, is beyond me. 

I completely disagree.

The fact that Thals and Sasquatch share similar locomotion morphology as we learn more about Thals? Lends credibility to the topic of Sasquatch.

Ostman observed them in the thirties and told his story in the 50’s! Long before we would know anything substantial about Thals.

When modern publications start describing reported Sasquatch like traits in other fossilized Homo species? I find that very interesting!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, MonkeMan said:

LOL if I could shape shift I'd turn into a rocket and leave this planet.

Needless to say I about died of a brain aneurysm right there.

The legend holds that when a shapeshifter is called by his true name-- WoolyBooger--he dies shortly thereafter. I know you are skeert:biggrin: But there is time, you can repent. No longer need you dwell among the blinded dead who wander aimless, confined, knocking into walls they've built by narrowmindedness. Seek the light of PURE science, let it dispel the evil that the simulacrum has woven round you.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, norseman said:

Lends credibility to the topic of Sasquatch

HAH! You're gonna have to explain that one!

18 minutes ago, norseman said:

When modern publications start describing reported Sasquatch like traits in other fossilized Homo species? I find that very interesting

Except that those "other fossilized Homo species" are HOMO. And if you are transferring that genus to the Sasquatch then you have no business shooting one. If you are not, then the creature isn't Homo. A PhD expert says mid-tarsal break. And even though some Humans present it, that's a trait in Great Apes across the board. Did Ostman ever mention the mid-foot hinge in his captors? With the time he supposedly spent with them he should have noticed and I don't remember reading about it. In fact, I don't believe Ostman's story one bit- never have. I mean where were the woven mats in the Olympic Project's nest find? Crude woven nest twigs, yes, but mats? Ostman is the LAST person whose story I would trust.  

Edited by hiflier

1 minute ago, hiflier said:

HAH! You're gonna have to explain that one!

Except that those "other fossilized Homo species" are HOMO. And if you are transferring that genus to the Sasquatch then you have no business shooting one. If you are not, then the creature isn't Homo. A PhD expert says mid-tarsal break. And even though some Humans present it, that's a trait in Great Apes across the board. Did Ostman ever mention the mid-foot hinge in his captors? Don't remember reading about it. In fact, I don't believe Ostman's story one bit- never have. I mean where were the woven mats in the Olympic Project's nest find? Crude woven nest twigs, yes, but mats? Ostman is the LAST person whose story I would trust.  

We will NOT know where it falls into a scientific category until its studied on a slab for science!!! Homo or no. Im all for protecting the creature and its habitat AFTER discovery. Homo genus or no…. It doesn't matter.

Can you explain why you dont trust Ostman’s story?

You know something else great apes exhibit? A divergent 5th toe. Something Bigfoot lacks….. 

• gigantor locked this topic