Neanderthal locomotion

norseman

@norseman

Most of the day as I sat in the doctors office. I have been thinking about your flat foot and the big toes. I cannot help and think why these toes would be so big on the right and on the left foot.  So then i started looking at my own two bare feet. My own two bare feet are flat footed. So I started looking at my large toes on each foot and yes they are both large. So then i started to reason why they were so much bigger then the rest of the toes on both feet.

So I started to pay attention on the way that I walk. Now I am no Bigfoot obviously. I only weigh 210 lbs and am 5' 11" tall with a 10 " foot size. Flat footed on both. But my weight is distributed on the inside of my foot due to my flat feet. So this has created my larger toes to be much larger then other people since I am using that toe as my push off. 

Now i was not always flat footed. So when i pushed of with my foot I used all my foot toes and just that particular larger toe's. So is it possible that these Neanderthals  may have had the same problem. The same may be with these creatures the as well. That their wright is not fully distributed through out the foot as they step? This why we might see some tracks that are not fully formed on certain substance of soils. I am just thinking out loud. Maybe it does not make sense at all. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ShadowBorn said:

@norseman

Most of the day as I sat in the doctors office. I have been thinking about your flat foot and the big toes. I cannot help and think why these toes would be so big on the right and on the left foot.  So then i started looking at my own two bare feet. My own two bare feet are flat footed. So I started looking at my large toes on each foot and yes they are both large. So then i started to reason why they were so much bigger then the rest of the toes on both feet.

So I started to pay attention on the way that I walk. Now I am no Bigfoot obviously. I only weigh 210 lbs and am 5' 11" tall with a 10 " foot size. Flat footed on both. But my weight is distributed on the inside of my foot due to my flat feet. So this has created my larger toes to be much larger then other people since I am using that toe as my push off. 

Now i was not always flat footed. So when i pushed of with my foot I used all my foot toes and just that particular larger toe's. So is it possible that these Neanderthals  may have had the same problem. The same may be with these creatures the as well. That their wright is not fully distributed through out the foot as they step? This why we might see some tracks that are not fully formed on certain substance of soils. I am just thinking out loud. Maybe it does not make sense at all. 

Thank you for your thoughtful response!

Thals were supposedly ambush predators.

A flatter foot offers advantages over a higher arched foot in those circumstances.

Sprinting vs long distance running.

uneven terrain vs even terrain.

Dense forest vs open savannah.

I was working on my Blazer today. And was thinking about tires in relation to feet.

When on highway you want to run the mfg’s suggested pressure in the tire…. 55 lbs, whatever.

But once off road? Whats the first thing offroaders do? They air down. All the way down to 10 lbs.

What is a flatter foot doing in relation to a more arched foot? Its keeping more contact with the substrate beneath the foot! Just like a aired down tire is doing! Better traction and grip. 

If your going to walk on hard flat ground for a long ways? You want a higher arch to put some spring in your step. Its more efficient in that respect. And thats why you air back up a tire. Better control, less tire wear, better MPG.

Just because you have a flat foot doesn't mean you lack a longitudinal arch. Your bones haven't changed. But as you say you walk differently and other parts of the foot have compensated for the change. Your big toes have grown as a result. Wow! Interesting!!!

23 minutes ago, norseman said:

Thank you for your thoughtful response!

Thals were supposedly ambush predators.

A flatter foot offers advantages over a higher arched foot in those circumstances.

Sprinting vs long distance running.

uneven terrain vs even terrain.

Dense forest vs open savannah.

I was working on my Blazer today. And was thinking about tires in relation to feet.

When on highway you want to run the mfg’s suggested pressure in the tire…. 55 lbs, whatever.

But once off road? Whats the first thing offroaders do? They air down. All the way down to 10 lbs.

What is a flatter foot doing in relation to a more arched foot? Its keeping more contact with the substrate beneath the foot! Just like a aired down tire is doing! Better traction and grip. 

If your going to walk on hard flat ground for a long ways? You want a higher arch to put some spring in your step. Its more efficient in that respect. And thats why you air back up a tire. Better control, less tire wear, better MPG.

Just because you have a flat foot doesn't mean you lack a longitudinal arch. Your bones haven't changed. But as you say you walk differently and other parts of the foot have compensated for the change. Your big toes have grown as a result. Wow! Interesting!!!

In for pics of Blazer.

8 hours ago, MonkeMan said:

.......Neandertals had symbolic cave art, ornamentation, clothing, complex structures, bone flutes, medicine, seafaring technology, birch tar wax they used as glue and they even had their own unique way of creating tools.........

Agreed. There is absolutely no evidence of sasquatches with manufactured tools or art.

.......The idea that Neandertals were apish brutes with flat feet, bow legged posture, and low intelligence is an inaccurate stereotype that was first postulated in the 50's and it wasn't until the 80's that this association was challenged in any meaningful way. Now we are realizing how morphologically modern they actually were.......

So previous peer reviewed science was incorrect, no? Imagine that. But now it's all fixed. That's reassurring.

........And this is my biggest issue with the Neandertal origin hypothesis. They would have had to lose all of that complex culture, grow 2-3ft, regain enormous amounts of hair, lose most of their brain size and intelligence, and adopt a niche that was already filled by black bears!

While I'm not one to assign a Neanderthal origin to sasquatches, your point on competing with both bears and homo sapiens is extremely important. It seems clear that they did not fare well against either. Their densities appear low even in aboriginal tradition. I suspect that in comparison to black bears, sasquatch reproduction rate is terribly slow, and their more solitary social structure places them at a disadvantage against homo sapiens. This extremely low density of existence in an acidic rainforest environment destroys any fossils in short order that aren't left in a rare dry spot in a cave. Even footprints don't survive long in heavy rainfall. Rainforests also limit visibility outside human rights-of-way to a few mere yards or less.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MonkeMan said:

LOL if I could shape shift I'd turn into a rocket and leave this planet........

Not me. This is the best planet I know of. But it would be much nicer if seven billion other people got on that rocket with you and left.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Huntster said:

But now it's all fixed

The fact that science admits when it's wrong and improves itself is it's biggest strength in my opinion. 

18 minutes ago, Huntster said:

While I'm not one to assign a Neanderthal origin to sasquatches, your point on competing with both bears and homo sapiens is extremely important. It seems clear that they did not fare well against either. Their densities appear low even in aboriginal tradition. I suspect that in comparison to black bears, sasquatch reproduction rate is terribly slow, and their more solitary social structure places them at a disadvantage against homo sapiens. This extremely low density of existence in an acidic rainforest environment destroys any fossils in short order that aren't left in a rare dry spot in a cave. Even footprints don't survive long in heavy rainfall. Rainforests also limit visibility outside human rights-of-way to a few mere yards or less.

This would probably be good as it's own thread, but honestly it's one of the stronger counterpoints against advocates. The fact that Black bear population density overlaps with sighting and, the fact that they both occupy the same niche heavily implies that a lot of sightings could be simple misidentiifcation. It could likewise explain why they are so rare (if they exist) because of things like the competitive exclusion principle. And honestly a black bear would easily kill a Sasquatch.

• Downvote 2

47 minutes ago, norseman said:

91 with 1 ton running gear

37” Toyos

Its fun!

Shall I add on another nice feature? It is untrackable, as in no built-in GPS and other tracking devices. A four-wheeled digital ghost. Stick you phone in some tin foil or Faraday box or sleeve, and off you go. What's under the hood?

Stick one of these babies on top and and call it good https://www.x20.org/xt360-panoramic-thermal-flir-ir-imaging-scanner/

Edited by hiflier

18 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Shall I add on another nice feature? It is untrackable, as in no built-in GPS and other tracking devices. A four-wheeled digital ghost. Stick you phone in some tin foil or Faraday box or sleeve, and off you go. What's under the hood?

Stick one of these babies on top and and call it good https://www.x20.org/xt360-panoramic-thermal-flir-ir-imaging-scanner/

I like everything about that…except probably the price tag.

23 minutes ago, MonkeMan said:

........The fact that Black bear population density overlaps with sighting and, the fact that they both occupy the same niche heavily implies that a lot of sightings could be simple misidentiifcation.........

That works both ways; many sasquatch sightings could be misidentified as bear sightings, specially since so many in science work so feverishly to discount the very existence of sasquatches. Who could blame somebody for doing so, believing that since sasquatches don't exist, that must be a huge, funny looking bear walking on two legs.

.......And honestly a black bear would easily kill a Sasquatch........

Now, I must admit that's the first time I've read that claim despite over 20 years on this forum reading all kinds of claims from all manner of experts. Would you call that a scientific claim? On what would you base such a claim? 

The fact that science admits when it's wrong and improves itself is it's biggest strength in my opinion. 

I'm still waiting for most of official science to admit anything on this evidence.

4A9AAEB9-DC34-465C-9D6E-9504477E3078.jpeg

• Upvote 3

• gigantor locked this topic