Packrafts

wiiawiwb

Every place I go sasquatching involves a pond that you have to backpack into.  One pond is fairly round so using a thermal you can see roughly 200 degrees of the shoreline when standing at shore. All the other ponds have odd shapes with many bends so you can only see a small portion of the pond's shoreline. 

I'm considering getting a packraft and using it in low light, and even dark, conditions so all of the pond's shoreline can be observed. The thought of sitting quietly out on the pond in the dark with the thermal is quite appealing. I suspect being on the water also allows more sound transfer so you could hear things moving in the woods around the pond that you would never hear otherwise.

It involves an element of risk if you go into the drink in the black of night. Fortunately, the ponds are such that a swim to shore would be manageable.  I'd be sure to have firestarting equipment and a flashlight in a waterproof container in my chest pack in case I needed to start a fire once back to shore to avoid hypothermia.

I've canoed a lot over the years but the places I go for sasquatching do not lend themselves to portaging a canoe or kayak. Too long a hike, too bulky, and with difficult terrain. A packraft can fit in/on a backpack so it is easy to go anywhere with it. 

There are not many companies out there and the two largest ones are Alpacka and Kokopelli.  Not inexpensive either but it can be used for fishing as well so I will get money's worth.

Does anyone have any experienced with packrafts?

https://www.alpackaraft.com/collections/packrafts

Here are two of the ponds I go and getting out on the water would be a huge advantage

1578588887_Pondbend.thumb.jpg.7fa1d34bf6defa403f3a807afe984b25.jpg2030820055_Pond2.thumb.jpg.2655df879c1b6cf40dbae45fa0f77192.jpg

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

• wiiawiwb changed the title to Packrafts
4 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

It involves an element of risk if you go into the drink in the black of night. Fortunately, the ponds are such that a swim to shore would be manageable.  I'd be sure to have firestarting equipment and a flashlight in a waterproof container in my chest pack in case I needed to start a fire once back to shore to avoid hypothermia.

4 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Not inexpensive either but it can be used for fishing as well so I will get money's worth.

Have you considered inflatable fishing float tubes?  There is a huge selection of features and many have a weight capacity of 350lbs.  Most have storage compartments ( and a fish measuring scale ). Backpack ability is a question. They are heavier than a packraft. You would be in an environment with pokey things above and below the waterline so fabric type and field repair capability is important. You will freeze your ass off.  Wearing thick, insulated chest waders with booties is the safe way to go. Swim fins would allow hands free maneuvering.  A small paddle would have 2 uses: back up in case you lost a swim fin and you could slap the water for 'beaver tail slap noise'.  Packing a boat / raft with break-down type oars looks like a huge snag factor.  I have not seen a 'small' manual air pump.

Check product availability. Depending upon your mission time, the expensive packrafts may have a long lead time.

I like that idea. Have often wanted to get a canoe into a Lake up N with a thermal. Long slog in though. Pack raft would be ideal. The Caribou isn't ridiculously priced, if it's built well.

@Catmandoo  I've thought about float tubes before. Lightweight and easily portable. Thanks for mentioning. I probably will go with packraft to allow for more space.

I'm just getting to learn more about the packrafts. I was surprised to discover there is a water-tight zipper on the stern that you can unzip and fill the float tubes with gear. Put your sleeping bag, pad, boots, backpack, and more in those tubes. If it fits, it ships! Everything inside is protected rather than be outside subject to the conditions at hand.

I'm going to order one of their models and take it out for a spin.  Like everything else these days, there is no inventory and a substantial wait for the build, so I won't be able to use it until next Spring.

Edited by wiiawiwb

I got an Intex Excursion Pro Kayak last February and have taken it out twice with great success.  I would not use it for rafting as I am afraid one sharp rock would end it, but for lakes and other calm waters it works great.  It takes 10-15 minutes to put it together and about the same amount of time to pack it up.  It is two person and pretty roomy and good for fishing.  The downside is it weighs about 45 pounds so not really backpackable in to the wild.

As soon as I have money, after I get tires on my truck, I'm getting one of these. 3 lbs plus paddle and PFD. I could do that for short hikes. Plus fishing pole and tackle - say 6 lbs. Nice. Probably next summer, is the goal. 

https://klymit.com/products/litewater-dinghy?variant=31722990207066&gclid=CjwKCAjwmqKJBhAWEiwAMvGt6ABU0VOh5xe8hYe8s5PuGge6d0syH9Ndj3A2-eg7_Hy89wsZ-15wehoCgs8QAvD_BwE

Edited by Madison5716

How great would that to be to go out and on a lake/pond and fish from the Klymit.  Get out to spots not otherwise available from shore.  Have freshly-caught trout for dinner!!