Conferences and Influencers

vinchyfoot

Is there reason to call a Bigfoot Conference when it's actually more like a convention. It seems like the same speakers appear every year (because maybe there's just not that much to say thats new), and after a while it's basically a convention or even a Bigfoot themed Comicon esque event. By that same token, how much damage to the "Influencers" do to the larger cause? The Moneymakers, and other large group leaders? The Podcasters and the Conventioneers, the oh so common Youtuber as well. Is a "Conference" more than a Comicon at this point. Is an Influencer more than just some chump trying to get their own Finding Bigfoot show, or sell their own likeness as an Action figure? (This is actually a thing btw)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

As being around a lot of like-minded folks who enjoy the subject of bigfoot. It would be a joy to talk about being in the field and how they approach it.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

As being around a lot of like-minded folks who enjoy the subject of bigfoot. It would be a joy to talk about being in the field and how they approach it.

Ok, but you can easily host a local Town Hall style thing to, without all the Influencer nonsense, or having to pay the same "speakers" to come in and given the same presentation as last year..... Sorry, and downvote all you want but these two things are nothing more than mechanisms that reinforce the BS of the subject more than do anything fruitful towards actual research. The model at least, needs to shift.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

What color is the sky in your world?

Blue, because it's the real world, sorry so many have been poisoned by the Community narrative, be they hoaxer, "celebrity", podcaster, youtuber...... I'm still right. Are you suggesting the current model is the only model? It's an industry not research.

1 minute ago, Huntster said:

So I ask all your questions about this conference:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Climate_Change_conference

This is what people do. It's how you drag others onto your side. It makes people feel good, I guess. It isn't for me, but it's everywhere. If you don't like it, don't go. I don't. I'd rather go moose hunting.

Replace moose hunting with back packing outdoorsy stuff, and we would be on the same page.

Edited by vinchyfoot
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, vinchyfoot said:

........Replace moose hunting with back packing outdoorsy stuff, and we would be on the same page.

I backpacked extensively when I was a teen. As soon as I arrived in Alaska, I found out what real "outdoorsy stuff" looked like.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

.......I went to the Smokey Mountain conference, mainly because I enjoy watching Paulides give his presentation and I wanted to hear Ron Morehead speak........

If I went to a conference, it would be specifically to pick a particular person's brain or experience. Morehead's experience with the vocal sasquatches in that area of the Sierra Nevada mountains is of great interest to me, because that's the general area of my own footprint find, and the sheer consistency of his experiences at that camp over so many years is important to me.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Huntster said:

If I went to a conference, it would be specifically to pick a particular person's brain or experience. Morehead's experience with the vocal sasquatches in that area of the Sierra Nevada mountains is of great interest to me, because that's the general area of my own footprint find, and the sheer consistency of his experiences at that camp over so many years is important to me.

And that illustrates one of my points precisely…

No one is ever going to accuse you of being overly interested in the woo, and yet you are interested in hearing what Morehead might have to say about his experiences.  

One of the other speakers at that same conference made more than one comment that insinuated people like Morehead or Paulides shouldn’t be given a platform to share their information because it runs counter to ‘accepted science’ and does harm to the subject.  The accepted science is all that should be discussed, unless we are departing from accepted science in a way that people like him find reasonable…like explaining how a warm blooded creature can see in the infrared spectrum or how land mammals can have bioluminescent eyes.  Infrasound as some sort of Sasquatch ‘deus ex machine’. 

That science we can get a bit flexible with, but Morehead’s attempts to explain some of the stranger aspects of the phenomenon using quantum mechanics is heresy and should be silenced.  

I don’t agree with everything that Morehead says, but I would like to be able to hear his thoughts so that I can formulate my own opinion on them as opposed to having someone else decide that for me.  Arbitrary lines drawn by personal bias… it’s a slippery slope.  I would rather have to wade through a bit of what I personally consider nonsense than have someone else filter what I should be allowed to hear.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

Blue, because it's the real world, sorry so many have been poisoned by the Community narrative, be they hoaxer, "celebrity", podcaster, youtuber...... I'm still right. Are you suggesting the current model is the only model? It's an industry not research.

I want to thank you for bringing up pleasant memories. Throughout my childhood I avidly read a daily newspaper comic by Al Capp, "Lil' Abner."

You remind me of one of the characters in the comic, Joe Btfsplk. Poor Joe was a notorious jinx and everywhere he went he was followed, above his head, by his own personal rain cloud.

allthetropeswiki.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic