Conferences and Influencers

vinchyfoot

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

BRB ---- three posts above is one of the epic posts on BFF. Thank you.

I remember the time when the mere mention of this subject produced uncontrollable laughter and guffaws.  Matt M. has single-handedly converted what was once a subject that people only whispered about to something everyone can discuss with complete comfort.  People can discuss all aspects of how he did what he did, and that is fair game, but in the end he is a transformational person. Mega-kudos to MM.

This is the best reasoning I've read in a long while and goes a long way towards changing my opinion of MM.

When I wear the forum T-shirt, people of all ages, races, sexes stop and say something about it. 20 years ago, it wasn't so at all.

• Upvote 1

Let people enjoy what they enjoy, as long as no one's hurt by it. We are all incredibly diverse, and our interests reflect that. At the end of the day, our common curiosity about those mysterious hairy giants brings us together.

It's always interesting to hear other people's stories and see their eyes light up and their voices catch in excitement. 

Life's too short not to pursue what you enjoy, in whatever form that takes.

• Upvote 2

Really only been to one conference, Honobia in fall of 2019, primarily to hear both Ron Morehead & Scott Nelson speak on what (to me) is absolutely the most fascinating aspect of these creatures: their language. It was riveting. To hear the Sierra Sounds played (as an opening to Scott's talk) at a really high decibel level, seemingly coming out of nowhere, you could have heard a pin drop in the auditorium.  

There were several other speakers, a couple of them pretty well known in the field, but one gave the strangest talk, could not stop recalling (over & over again, with a certain "amused" tone) an accident that left one of his fellow researchers injured and bloody. Pretty creepy. Of all the experiences he could have shared that day, (and there was one that I'd hoped he would, one which basically helped put him on the map) to choose that one incident was strange indeed. Very disappointing. But I digress. 

I think it's just being with like minded people who have some incredible first person accounts, (some of these from around the breakfast table) and I've learned that if you just ask, a lot of experiences you might never have heard start to come out. 

The rest of it was a carnival atmosphere, mostly for the kids.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

I want to thank you for bringing up pleasant memories. Throughout my childhood I avidly read a daily newspaper comic by Al Capp, "Lil' Abner."

You remind me of one of the characters in the comic, Joe Btfsplk. Poor Joe was a notorious jinx and everywhere he went he was followed, above his head, by his own personal rain cloud.

allthetropeswiki.jpg

Or I pissed in your cornflakes because so you're so heavily invested in that BS community narrative being served up that you cant see the forest through those pesky trees. I pity that attitude for being part of the problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, vinchyfoot said:

Or I pissed in your cornflakes because so you're so heavily invested in that BS community narrative being served up that you cant see the forest through those pesky trees. I pity that attitude for being part of the problem.

What’s the problem exactly?  You are upset that someone who has a casual interest in the subject is going to a Bigfoot conference and is wearing a ‘Gone Squatching’ t-shirt?  How exactly is that affecting you or your efforts?  A broader knowledge and acceptance of the topic is bad how exactly?  Or are you one of those people who feel like you ‘own’ the topic?   

You act like Jeff Meldrum said that he was going to stop being involved in research and is instead going to sit at home all day watching Finding Bigfoot reruns, or plans to follow Moneymaker around from appearance to appearance like the Grateful Dead.  Like a ‘World’s Hide And Seek Champion’ coffee mug is some sort of crippling blow that will destroy all attempts at serious research.

Sorry, but Inc’s description of you is pretty dead on.  It’s odd that you can’t see how negative you are…without adding anything of substance to any of the discussions here beyond a constant level of complaining.  

‘Community narrative’. What is that narrative exactly?  You act like every well known person in the field is part of some sort of Bigfoot guild where they have to tout the party message.  It seems like a lot of them just argue their opposing views most of the time.  

If I recall correctly, you have spoken about being zapped and having equipment mysteriously ruined before.  There are researchers out there who would lump you in with the woo elements because of those claims and want you eliminated from the ‘community’.  But, that’s different, right?  

Honestly, you just sound like someone complaining to complain…and, you kind of come across as bitter and jealous towards Moneymaker.  He’s someone who I probably wouldn’t want to spend any personal time with…and he himself gets too caught up in the ‘I’m the expert’ mindset himself…but, unless I am hearing someone complain about him here, he really has no effect on me.  

Maybe you can help us understand your frustration.  You seem to struggle with articulating exactly how these things that seem to occupy so much of your time and attention are negative to the rest of us and the subject in general.  Perhaps address the questions that I posted above?  

I know that you received a better response to the same post on Reddit.  That in of itself should tell you something…when the perpetually aggrieved on the armpit of the internet agree with you…well, that’s telling.

Finally…you offered some sort of localized, community Bigfoot gathering to combat this problem with famous people that you seem to think exists.  I assume that, if that local gathering becomes popular that it too would need to be canceled before the participants gained any sort of notoriety?  Who is going to determine what level of recognition is acceptable?  

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Upvote 4

Someone pilfered my upvotes or I'd add one for that last @BlackRockBigfoot I'll never understand why some insist on tying their knickers in a knot and blaming someone else for it. I gots one word for you Vinchy: Amitriptyline

24 minutes ago, Twist said:

They may tie knickers in a knot but due to people speaking out about vinchy this site has had more activity today than in the past week!!! 

Especially when we all start posting twice! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic