Conferences and Influencers

vinchyfoot

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

...She even teaches you how to understand bird language. Yup, no kidding........

I learned bird language. Specifically crow. My ex used to speak it all the time to me. CAW CAW CAW usually meant I need to fix something she broke. 

And that's a great shot of a Northern Flicker, @gigantor - I love those birds.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

I learned bird language. Specifically crow. My ex used to speak it all the time to me. CAW CAW CAW usually meant I need to fix something she broke..........

You were lucky. I'm expected to read minds, and be prompt at it.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Huntster said:

You were lucky. I'm expected to read minds, and be prompt at it.

I already knew that.

• Haha 2

On 10/1/2021 at 1:16 PM, wiiawiwb said:

Getting and staying in the field is always good but it really helps to share ideas.  Let's say there are 500 people in the field who would attend an event. That's 500 ideas about how to locate a trailcam, setup a camp, work with audio/video equipment, how to communicate to a sasquatch, and much more.

1,000 eyes and ears are better than two and, speaking solely for me, I have a lot to learn and am eager to try new ideas from creative and thoughtful people. 

Not if the ideas are the BS narrative of a podcaster from facebook who is only interested in cultivating their cadre of followers. Its a Bigfoot themed comicon, and to call it a conference, god forbid a symposium is utter BS. It's the same speakers making their rounds and making the same noise.

• Upvote 1

On 10/1/2021 at 8:19 AM, wiiawiwb said:

I'd much rather go to an event where people share ideas, field techniques, and experiences rather than focus on the sizzle. I'd enjoy going to one. Would you mind sharing the four events that you've found to be the old PNW-style ones? 

Well, i mentioned I only knew of 4 that WERE running, but only 2 that were still happening. im the co-owner of 1 here in WV, Wild & Weird Con is our big one, then we have workshops throughout the year. we have 2 gatherings a year currently, but adding a 3rd next year. only one of our gatherings has vendors and podcasters but still has the same atmosphere. The other here on the east coast is an annual event called The Ohio Triangle Confrence, its really similar to our event but doesn't have the hands on workshops. The only one i know of out west that is set up like the old bigfoot round ups is "beach foot" but its invite only and still celebrity heavy. There were a light handful of of other small gatherings but the shutdowns knocked them out or the properties they met on were sold leaving them in a state of limbo.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Skinwalker13 said:

Well, i mentioned I only knew of 4 that WERE running, but only 2 that were still happening. im the co-owner of 1 here in WV, Wild & Weird Con is our big one, then we have workshops throughout the year. we have 2 gatherings a year currently, but adding a 3rd next year. only one of our gatherings has vendors and podcasters but still has the same atmosphere. The other here on the east coast is an annual event called The Ohio Triangle Confrence, its really similar to our event but doesn't have the hands on workshops. The only one i know of out west that is set up like the old bigfoot round ups is "beach foot" but its invite only and still celebrity heavy. There were a light handful of of other small gatherings but the shutdowns knocked them out or the properties they met on were sold leaving them in a state of limbo.

Looking forward to Wild and Weird Con, even though there might be PODCASTERS there.  

• Haha 2

Yeah @BlackRockBigfoot, podcasters are a real drag, and ABSOLUTELY NO FB PAGES or moderators.  None of those dregs.

btw @vinchyfoot not all podcasters/YouTube's are created equal. For example I wear a lot of hats, I'm a master naturalist, a field investigator, a dreaded podcaster, and a professional event organizer (actually what one of my degrees was in and my first career. so seeing the issues with conventions being confused with confrences i kinda took the liberty to fix that myself and show folks, at least on the east coast, what the differences are) 

YouTube , is where we document our field research. Why gum up tons of hard drives that cost us money when we can use someone else's server and offload our own HDs? 

Our podcast is research based and we could really care less about how many followers we have, were not concerned with monetizing, we dont have paid memberships, its all free until we can't afford it anymore and then we will just quit.

Our confrence is just that, we have 0 celebrities, but what we do have are actual field researchers, civilian scientists, actual scientists, and historians who will be sharing their work as well as hands on workshops at the event with other veteran field investigators hosting those. Now, because of the Con mentality we do have vendors that will be selling thier own art, but at our bigfoot round ups twice a year its just us, the guests, and the forest. No vendors, no bells and whistles just the forest and a very affordable experiance because all we charge for are the supplies used and the food.

While I understand the distaste becuase I have a lot of the same feelings, I still see the value of how the cons actually do help US all more than they hurt. My biggest gripe is the perpetuation of the "true believers" through these events becuase it jsut adds to the red circle collection BUT if I can get ahold of one of the red circle club at one of these cons, get them to come to one of our events, actually teach them one on one, then maybe... just maybe we can turn them into an unbiased skeptical investigator who collects real data. Its a pipe dream i guess but still something worth pursuing imo.

• Upvote 3

There are 2 speakers that are going to be bigfoot related and the workshops that are bigfoot centric will be track casting techniques, the Robert Morgan method of bigfoot investigation, and data collection equipment.

• Upvote 2

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Wolfjewel said:

@Skinwalker13 — 

Can you elaborate a little on what the Robert Morgan Bigfoot investigation is?

I have the book but never finished it.  https://www.amazon.com/Bigfoot-Observers-Field-Manual-follow/dp/0937663158

If I recall correctly, I realized I already knew most of what was in it because I had already attended some BFRO expeditions. I think their 'little green men' analogy document covers most of it.

from the amazon link

Robert W. Morgan is one of the first persons to seriously investigate and research the mystery known as Sasquatch, or Bigfoot. Robert has spent many years conducting active Bigfoot field research, and he has amassed a considerable amount of knowledge and wisdom.

This book is for serious people wanting a face-to-face encounter with a legend. Robert gives the reader a step-by-step guide to follow.

5188Pg+gMmL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Upvote 1

A practical guide to a face-to -face encounter with a legend? How many people have tried Morgan’s method and failed to get an encounter..,or better yet, how many have tried it and gotten one? Seems arrogant and off-the-wall to say you can do this and that and get an encounter. But people sign up for BFRO outings and say their odds of seeing BF increase. I’d just like to know how this book has been received.

@Redbonewhy did you stop reading it? Could have given it a try, or was it laughable or impractical?

12 minutes ago, Wolfjewel said:

A practical guide to a face-to -face encounter with a legend? How many people have tried Morgan’s method and failed to get an encounter..,or better yet, how many have tried it and gotten one? Seems arrogant and off-the-wall to say you can do this and that and get an encounter. But people sign up for BFRO outings and say their odds of seeing BF increase. I’d just like to know how this book has been received.

@Redbonewhy did you stop reading it? Could have given it a try, or was it laughable or impractical?

I quit reading because I already knew what it was saying. What I read was pretty much covered in the BFRO document.

I HAVE used what I learned from BFRO and others, and have had a face to face (ok - face to arm) encounter plus several other incidents. I don't find it laughable at all...

It's only 136 pages and I have it right in front of me. Maybe I'll read it now....

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Redbone said:

I quit reading because I already knew what it was saying. What I read was pretty much covered in the BFRO document.

I HAVE used what I learned from BFRO and others, and have had a face to face (ok - face to arm) encounter plus several other incidents. I don't find it laughable at all...

It's only 136 pages and I have it right in front of me. Maybe I'll read it now....

This was an easy read, and the very first book I ever read on the subject, I absolutely loved it. I've not had any encounters but this would seem to make a lot of sense, he's got some excellent points on how to ease into being in one location and cause yourself to be seen as a non-threatening entity....to become more familiar in the area and create an atmosphere in which a peaceful (hopefully) encounter can take place. It's been a few years since I read it so am a tad rusty on details but I think he's got the gist of it.