Need Help in Bridgewater Triangle

Wolfjewel

Hi folks. Since I live in Massachusetts, I decided to check out the “Bridgewater Triangle,” a place in the southeastern part of the state where tradition has it that people have seen cryptids, including Sasquatch. Last weekend my friend who got me interested in the area joined me at the Freetown- Fall River State Forest, at the southern end. We couldn’t find a lot of roads and trails shown on the map! The paved “roads” that we did find often became gravel. Only by asking someone in a car how to get to a pond did we find it. If anyone has clues to the most interesting places in the park, or how to best see and walk in the Hockomock Swamp, I’d like to know.

1 hour ago, Wolfjewel said:

Hi folks. Since I live in Massachusetts, I decided to check out the “Bridgewater Triangle,” a place in the southeastern part of the state where tradition has it that people have seen cryptids, including Sasquatch. Last weekend my friend who got me interested in the area joined me at the Freetown- Fall River State Forest, at the southern end. We couldn’t find a lot of roads and trails shown on the map! The paved “roads” that we did find often became gravel. Only by asking someone in a car how to get to a pond did we find it. If anyone has clues to the most interesting places in the park, or how to best see and walk in the Hockomock Swamp, I’d like to know.

Exciting for you!

I would recommend a decent GPS. Might save your bacon someday. @Madison5716carries a Garmin InReach Mini that can call for a rescue, and I carry a Garmin eTrex with maps on it.

I had an office a few years ago in west Billerica.  If I was still making the trip up I would have loved to have explored it with you.  Please be careful, if I recall that area has weirdness far beyond BF and last time I checked firearms were frowned upon by the local authorities. 

2 hours ago, Wolfjewel said:

Dod you find an old police badge by chance?  :whistle:

No Twist, no such luck.

Thanks, NCBFr. If you ever feel like making the trip “up” in the future let me know. I may pm you to discuss the beyond BF weirdness. I’ve read about and seen a documentary about the Bridgewater triangle.

Northwind, great minds work in the same direction. I already covet Madison’s Garmin Inreach Mini. Would get one if I truly began hiking way into tricky areas — or any distance.

• Upvote 1

Is it possible to find an area with more high weirdness?  You have Pukwudgie........Dover Demon. Dover Demon is a trickster and I can't recall any reports of them being harmful.  If you can't carry a firearm, carry a flame  thrower ( strictly to light your campfire ). If you have a dog, take it along ( dogs have been quarantined for 7 years ). It will be good for the dog.

You did not elaborate on the map that you used. A USGS Topo map is a start. A vintage topo map may have old roads / trails that have been deleted on recent printings. For $25 there is the DeLorme  Atlas & Gazetteer for Massachusetts.

Collectors horde old maps and charts. Ebay is a possible source.

Good suggestions, Cat. I’m interested in maps, old and new. All I had was the map the State Forest puts out, printed from the website. It was USGS once, but degraded from many copies of copies. I really don’t think they were keeping it up to date, or thorough with the trails. I’ll get a fresh USGS, and see if my dog is willing to go.

As for the cryptids, puckwudgies have a bad reputation, but I don’t think many people encounter them. Dover Demon — once and done. Not seen since original sightings. But pretty exciting.

I looked at the Freetown-Fall River State Forest. 2 main roads going north-south and 2 roads going obliquely through it.  Looks spooky.

For USGS Quadrangle maps, there  are 2: "Somerset" covers a very small northern area and "Fall River" covers the area below 'Somerset' and the southern region of the forest.

Be safe, sunset is getting earlier and earlier.

10 hours ago, NCBFr said:

I had an office a few years ago in west Billerica.  If I was still making the trip up I would have loved to have explored it with you.  Please be careful, if I recall that area has weirdness far beyond BF and last time I checked firearms were frowned upon by the local authorities. 

Massachussetts in general isn't that Gun friendly.

I've walked the forest but I parked in the parking lot never looked for access roads . Just me and the dogs . It's not a big place so you can pretty much hike the park in one day .

Didn't see anything really weird other than one place there was writing on some trees I couldn't make out and a camp that looked to be old maybe used by a homeless person.

3 hours ago, 7.62 said:

I've walked the forest but I parked in the parking lot never looked for access roads . Just me and the dogs . It's not a big place so you can pretty much hike the park in one day .

Didn't see anything really weird other than one place there was writing on some trees I couldn't make out and a camp that looked to be old maybe used by a homeless person.

I always thought the place got too much squatch cred for that reason alone, its just that big an area surrounded by people if you look at the larger area on a map.

2 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

I always thought the place got too much squatch cred for that reason alone, its just that big an area surrounded by people if you look at the larger area on a map.

The forest area that's there would be impossible to support a family of Bigfoot due to that reason alone . Even if we were to assume they use the area to just migrate 

they would have to travel through very populated areas . My opinion there no Bigfoot in that area . The area is more known for paranormal and orbs weird lights etc..

The tribes that use to inhabit the area did have the belief of Wendigos in their culture but I  never see that mentioned when talking about the triangle . Again that's part of a  paranormal aspect of the area in it being an evil spirit that can take over a mans mind .

6 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

The forest area that's there would be impossible to support a family of Bigfoot due to that reason alone . Even if we were to assume they use the area to just migrate 

they would have to travel through very populated areas . My opinion there no Bigfoot in that area . The area is more known for paranormal and orbs weird lights etc..

The tribes that use to inhabit the area did have the belief of Wendigos in their culture but I  never see that mentioned when talking about the triangle . Again that's part of a  paranormal aspect of the area in it being an evil spirit that can take over a mans mind .

Theres an area local to where I live that I have been asked about. It also is a smallish area, surrounded by, suburbs on two sides, interstate and major 3 lane road on the other sides. People need to stop with wishful thinking in areas like this in the Northeast and focus on what might be actual potential habitat. The facebook culture that has grown up around the notion they're practically in everyone's is BS and adding to pointless white noise. I say FB culture because theres a local oriented group there pushing that exact narrative and they know it's BS, they want local expeditions filled though.

• Upvote 1

On 9/7/2021 at 9:36 PM, NCBFr said:

Yeah that's a no go on firearms unless you have a license to carry in the state . 

2 minutes ago, vinchyfoot said:

Theres an area local to where I live that I have been asked about. It also is a smallish area, surrounded by, suburbs on two sides, interstate and major 3 lane road on the other sides. People need to stop with wishful thinking in areas like this in the Northeast and focus on what might be actual potential habitat. The facebook culture that has grown up around the notion they're practically in everyone's is BS and adding to pointless white noise. I say FB culture because theres a local oriented group there pushing that exact narrative and they know it's BS, they want local expeditions filled though.

I'm in CT and spent a couple of years looking and searching mostly one forest area due to what I saw 3 years ago . We never saw the creature or what ever it was again.

I don't want to say it's impossible for Bigfoot to migrate through the area but I very highly doubt they inhabit the the area down here . Once you get to western MASS

that leads in to Vermont , Up State NY , Maine , NH there I believe areas could support clans year round  but CT eastern Mass is just wishful thinking .