New squatch-mobile inbound!

NorthWind

Wowser! That is a sweet vehicle. Congratulations. A friend of mine has one he bought for his business and had it wrapped. You're going to like that!!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NorthWind said:

I've decided my old Ford F150 squatch-mobile is tired and wants to find a new home. We've had a lot of adventures together. It's time to put 'er out to pasture.

But I've found something that I think will suit me well in my mid-life crisis. It's being built as we speak.

20211012_060644.thumb.jpg.4dede04816a7c0e1e70a4e9e15e2bd0b.jpg

A few tweaks here and there perhaps, but who knows, maybe we'll have some fun together!

Congratulations!!!

• gigantor featured this topic
Admin

Congratulations!

Your first upgrade should be:

19 minutes ago, BC witness said:

Some serious off road cred there, NothWind, enjoy the new ride. What trim level? Is it a Rubicon?

No, just a Sport S. I only have so much cash. But, it will be paid off in full upon arrival. The only way to live. I hate debt.

• Upvote 4

Admin
2 hours ago, NorthWind said:

just a Sport S

You don't need much more than that, it uses the traction control sensors to apply brake per wheel instead of lockers, works great!

Plus its lighter without all the power windows/lock motors and the rest of it. Shoot, you can hose the interior down if you had to.

• Upvote 1

You're right, gigantor, open diff 4x4 can get an experienced back roader anywhere he should want to go, especially with modern traction control. My 16 year old H3 has a rear locker, which I've used exactly twice in the year that I've owned it, and those were both mostly to see what it could do if pushed to the limits of my driving ability, and a little bit of "send 'er" might have done as well. Taller tires definitely help. I run 33"s, and seldom scrape or bump anything, but I'll probably go with 35"s when these wear out, 'cause that extra inch of clearance always is a good thing.

• Upvote 1

Nice!    I'm holding out hoping they'll offer a version without the crew cab but with a little longer bed instead.  

... or this:

4b8071b8355e4ab82d00e019dcd44dfa.jpg.ec590da8bf76959975ec590478606e3e.jpg

The short wheelbase, very useful for getting turned around in tight spaces, is what attracts me.  Even a relatively short wheelbase truck like my current Tacoma or previous Nissan Frontier is a pain to get turned around in some places I go sort of often.  This starts life as a 4-door JL model then adds a body kit.   Notice the locking storage that takes the place of the rear doors?

I just need to win the lottery.   Or botch 8 years worth of savings.   Either will do.

MIB

• Like 1

8 hours ago, norseman said:

Now you need one of these!

https://fourwheelcampers.com/model/project-m/

Oh, hell yes!  LOL Maybe someday soon. I will have a bit of a wait for the Gladiator. Might be a month, might be three. I am usually a pretty patient guy when I want to be, but I am dying already!

6 hours ago, MIB said:

Nice!    I'm holding out hoping they'll offer a version without the crew cab but with a little longer bed instead.  

... or this:

4b8071b8355e4ab82d00e019dcd44dfa.jpg.ec590da8bf76959975ec590478606e3e.jpg

The short wheelbase, very useful for getting turned around in tight spaces, is what attracts me.  Even a relatively short wheelbase truck like my current Tacoma or previous Nissan Frontier is a pain to get turned around in some places I go sort of often.  This starts life as a 4-door JL model then adds a body kit.   Notice the locking storage that takes the place of the rear doors?

I just need to win the lottery.   Or botch 8 years worth of savings.   Either will do.

MIB

When you win the lottery, remember your pal, ol' NorthWind!  I like the locking area for sure.

My old F150 has a crew cab and a long bed. Tough to get it turned around, so I know where you're coming from with that. And the Glad has a pretty long wheelbase, but I'm kind of used to it with the Ford. I suppose when she finally arrives, I should just take a screwdriver to the side and make a long gash in the paint right off and get the pain over with, because you know the kind of roads we are on. 

I'm also considering getting my amateur radio license. Comms can be important, as well as fun. All these things just cost money. I guess I need to win the lottery, too. Tell ya what, @MIB, how about this... you win the lottery, split it 50/50 with me. If I win, I'll split it 50/50 with you. There. We just doubled our odds!

On 10/12/2021 at 6:11 AM, NorthWind said:

But I've found something that I think will suit me well in my mid-life crisis. It's being built as we speak.

YOU'RE DRIVING FROM NOW ON! :yahoo:

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2021 at 6:11 AM, NorthWind said:

I've decided my old Ford F150 squatch-mobile is tired and wants to find a new home. We've had a lot of adventures together. It's time to put 'er out to pasture.

20211012_060644.thumb.jpg.4dede04816a7c0e1e70a4e9e15e2bd0b.jpg

A few tweaks here and there perhaps, but who knows, maybe we'll have some fun together!

Nice rig! I've built a couple of them the last couple years. Very capable rigs!

Add a bed rack or canopy and a roof top tent and you are set for some adventures.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

YOU'RE DRIVING FROM NOW ON! :yahoo:

You don't want to drive it? You love driving!

8 hours ago, McGlencoe said:

Nice rig! I've built a couple of them the last couple years. Very capable rigs!

Add a bed rack or canopy and a roof top tent and you are set for some adventures.

What bed rack or canopy do you like? Tent? 

How about a rack for a canoe?

• gigantor unfeatured this topic