New squatch-mobile inbound!

NorthWind

I have one of these Napier Truck Tents I like it so far. The only real con I have run into is that I lose the bed of my truck as a storage area, but I found that most of my camping totes will fit under my tailgate or the truck.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for sharing info!  I have decided not to have a tent in the back of my Gladiator for now. It would just be too difficult to dry one out properly as I do not have a proper garage where I am living at this time. I thought about a 10 x 20 "portable garage", but the powers that be will not allow it. I could build a lean-to type awning, but have you seen the price of lumber these days, even here in lumber world. So, the Diamondback HD just seems like the best option. I can always pull it off later if I want and swap it out. So far, I will get a lift kit, bigger tires as funds allow (35's), a front bumper that I actually like, maybe a winch and the gear to go with it, a high lift jack, some rotopax, CB radio, and a couple other items that my caffeine-deprived brain is not pulling from the memory files. 

Does anyone know of a roof rack that does not interfere with the freedom panels? @McGlencoe?

On 10/22/2021 at 6:13 AM, NorthWind said:

Does anyone know of a roof rack that does not interfere with the freedom panels? @McGlencoe?

Rhino Rack makes one of their Pioneer Platform racks that fit the Gladiator and does not interfere with the Freedom panels.

Here is a how-to-install video of the rack: 

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 8:52 AM, McGlencoe said:

Rhino Rack makes one of their Pioneer Platform racks that fit the Gladiator and does not interfere with the Freedom panels.

Here is a how-to-install video of the rack: 

OK - This looks awesome, so I ordered one with a Black Friday discount. Also ordered a Hilift jack and lift mate per @Gigantor's suggestion. 

@Madison5716 and I were out yesterday scouting out a lead we got from a firsthand class - A sighting. Really scary mountain in her little Rav. We followed a ridge for a few miles. Steep as heck on both sides with several hundred feet drop on one side and about a thousand on the other. Really narrow road.

Now, if the darned truck would just come in! It's been 7 weeks exactly now. Dealer said hopefully by Christmas.

Veruca.jpg

• Like 1

BFF Patron

If you're going to run 35"s with no lift (this may have changed from my JK days) make sure you adjust the stops for the turn radius or else the tires will rub the frame, you also may have to cut part of the wheel well in the rear or bend it over.  On the JKs, it was the front edge of the rear wheel wells. Also larger tires really mess with your shift points on an auto trans, this can be fixed with programming but alot of times it takes awhile before that "cheat" gets out in the public arena.

Finally, if you "DISCO" disconnect the front sway bars, be very careful without a lift, you could tear off the stock front fenders, alot of folks will cut the fenders for more clearance.

My advice after having one, kinda heavily modified (and loving it) keep it stock, put some high end off road tires (but quiet) on it and enjoy, it will take you anywhere you want to go!

Oh one more thing once you own a Jeep you are part of a family/cult LOL.......you must do the Jeep wave, but only at J Jeeps not the other lowly Jeep products, it's all very complicated but you'll be OK!

Edited by Foxhill

@Foxhill Thanks for the advice! I'll install a lift kit, I just haven't decided on which one yet. Then I will go with 35's. Manual transmission, because hey, it's the best theft deterrent from the younger punks who don't understand the concept. 

BFF Patron
29 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

@Foxhill Thanks for the advice! I'll install a lift kit, I just haven't decided on which one yet. Then I will go with 35's. Manual transmission, because hey, it's the best theft deterrent from the younger punks who don't understand the concept. 

You can put the 35s on with the mods I spoke of, you're going to have to do them anyway, unless Jeep has addressed those issues...I did and it actually looked very cool and performed well, just don't go all crazy wheeling till you lift it.

Go with a complete engineered kit, from one manufacturer, depending on how much lift you're going with, things can get really expensive in regards to other mods that should be done to account for the lift, different drive shafts, exhaust clearance issues......it never ends.

My lift was only a 2.5" kit but with the tires, it netted an almost 6" increase overall, the lift kit alone was closer to 4". My build was more of a rock crawler build, so low center of gravity and high articulation is what I was shooting for.

One thing that you rarely hear discussed on the Jeep forums, is some unsettling things happen from an aerodynamic point of view when you lift a vehicle that is basically a brick to being with.

There seems to be some weird air packing issues in the front at certain times, I've always believed that this is some of the reason for the death wobble issues, though most of that was related to bolt issues that the factory would not own up too.

My Jeep never had death wobble, but you could definitely feel the front end unweight at certain times, but this could be because of the compliant spring and shock package for the rock crawler set up. 

Funny that you're headed in the Jeep direction and I'm headed back to a truck, currently building a F250 Overland/Apocalypse rig, if I can help in anyway just let me know, building them is half the fun!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Admin
2 hours ago, Foxhill said:

unless Jeep has addressed those issues..

They did, you can put 37" tires on the new ones without a lift kit.

I wouldn't go bigger than 35", power at the wheels would suffer too much.

BFF Patron
11 minutes ago, gigantor said:

Wow that's crazy, haven't been following the Jeep world, obviously........you're right about that, 35"s are bad enough on the power output 

15 minutes ago, gigantor said:

I thought that on a Sport S you would need a lift to run 37's without rubbng or cutting. Am I wrong?

Admin
18 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

Am I wrong?

I think model 2020 and up, you may be wrong.

You don't want 37" tires anyway.

4 minutes ago, gigantor said:

I think model 2020 and up, you may be wrong.

You don't want 37" tires anyway.

No, I understand that would involve regearing. 35" is plenty for my needs.

Thanks for the info, Gig!

Admin

Regearing would be key.

A stock Sport S puts about 190 Rear Wheel Horsepower with stock tires. I run 33s with a cold air intake and its putting 182 to the rear wheels.