Bob Gimlin & The P-G Film, by Daniel Perez

Daniel Perez

From the Bigfoot Times (www.bigfoottimes.net)  for October 2021, main article. Enjoy. The monthly newsletter is the best bang for your Bigfoot bucks.

Bob Titmus &

The P-G Film

I told my colleague, Cliff Barackman, that over the long Labor Day weekend I would have a bit more time to dig into my physical files to look for information he was seeking.

Cliff needs little introduction to the Bigfoot community as his hands are full with his Bigfoot museum in Boring, Oregon plus his work on a reboot of Finding Bigfoot in addition to his excellent podcast, Bigfoot & Beyond With Cliff And Bobo.

Mr. Barackman went out to Bossburg, Washington recently to do some research on who made castings of the “cripplefoot” from 1969 and I was able to get him a newspaper article that seemed to infer that René Dahinden made a set (a right and left foot) of castings, which were later shown in the newspaper, the Rossland Miner, dated December 1969.

The paper stated, “The molds were brought here by René Dahinden and a young companion who were seeking information.” I can’t imagine anyone else being responsible for making these “molds” [footprint castings].

Decades ago René did tell me that he got original castings from Bossburg from a “lady who had them in her attic,” but I never asked too much more about that comment. Presumably, someone else made castings.

As I dug some more in the Washington newspaper section of my physical files I stumbled on a newspaper article, “Sasquatch Hunter Says Tracks Phony,” by Win Anderson, writing for the Tacoma, Washington News-Tribune for February 18, 1972. For clarifications purposes, the phony tracks mentioned in the headline were from Eatonville, Washington and not to be misconstrued as the tracks from the P-G filmsite.

The article was  about our old friend in the hunt, the absolutely legendary Bob Titmus, who passed away at age 79 in 1997. He was a different breed of Bigfooter. He sought no publicity and most of his outings looking for Bigfoot were by himself. I was lucky, indeed, to have met him in the field in late October 1987 in Bluff Creek and the dog he is pictured with here may have been the same one that was with him on that historic occasion.

Bob Titmus did one thing that punched his own ticket to Bigfoot immortality and that was going to the P-G filmsite shortly after the film was shot to make plaster castings of the trackway left behind by Patty.

Remarkably, what never found its way to any Bigfoot book was what he told the News-Tribune in 1972, something that was news to me upon reading what he told the reporter.

In part it read: “Pictures won’t help. The Roger Patterson films [Editor: emphasis by me. “Films” as in plural. Bob was certain he not only saw the P-G film but a separate film of the tracks was presented as well], the only genuine movies showing a Sasquatch I know of, have only served to add to the mystery around the subject. People think it was faked.”

Mr. Anderson, the reporter, went on: “Titmus immediately left the preview [Vancouver, British Columbia] of the late Patterson’s movie in Canada, flew to northern California area where the film was made, retraced Patterson’s footsteps in country Titmus was already familiar with, and discovered positive supportive evidence including Patterson’s and the Sasquatch’s footsteps.”

He continued, “Titmus has studied Sasquatch tracks for so long in the area that he refers to individual animals by nickname. The one Patterson filmed, he calls ‘the old lady.’”

Therein lies a wealth of information about Bob Titmus and his direct link to the the physical evidence associated with the P-G film: the footprints left behind.  The film was shot on October 20th and toward the tail end of the month Bob was on site to investigate the matter.  Had the trackway been faked as an avid Bigfoot investigator and taxidermist,  Bob Titmus likely would have made that determination early on. Instead, he found “…positive supporting evidence.”

In a letter to John Green about his trip to the filmsite he would write, “Firstly, I think that a taxidermist will see and retain far more detail, while watching an animal, and is probably far more qualified to recognize anything unnatural, than the average person.” So after watching the original P-G film in Vancouver Bob was pretty certain the footage captured a real animal as opposed to just a costumed man.

We also learn for the first time that Bob Titmus - a man of modest means - was so impressed by the films (creature and the trackway) that he “flew” down to California  immediately to conduct his own on site inspection. I was always under the impression that he drove, but he makes it clear to the reporter that he “flew.” The matter was that urgent.

His colleagues, John Green and Rene´ Dahinden, were also present at the  Vancouver showing of the films but for whatever reason decided to stay home. At the time both had young families to support and they were just miles away from the filmsite, on Blue Creek Mountain, shortly before the P-G film became the blockbuster event for 1967 and forever after.  It would be easy to speculate they were financially drained  right after the famous movie was made and were waiting to see how the scientific community and the press would treat the matter.

Bob Titmus, a bachelor, was in the perfect break-away-position to go and check the filmsite and to cast some of the most famous tracks in all of Bigfooting history.

In fact, one of the footprints he cast displayed a prominent mid-tarsal break and was photographed and left undisturbed by someone who arrived before him: Lyle Laverty. Laverty arrived on Monday, October 23rd, when the trackway was fresh.

Moreover,  if Bigfoot is found tomorrow the P-G trackway castings would likely be more important and more compelling than the Laetoli footprints from the Olduvai Gorge in Africa. I say that because one has the opportunity to see the Bluff Creek track maker on film, which was never the case with the Olduvai Gorge prints.

John Green finally found his way to the filmsite in June of 1968 and René shortly thereafter.

René did tell me more than once that not going to the filmsite immediately after it was shot was likely his biggest blunder ever. He was in Willow Creek, California immediately after the film was shot but made a decision to go to Yakima, Washington to see the premiere showing of the original P-G film.

Looking back, he told me, “I could have seen the film anytime,” and that not going to the filmsite to examine the footprints  was a “blunder.” Hindsight always seems to be 20/20.

Since we are closing in on the 54th anniversary of the P-G film Jamie Wayne shared a handwritten note René wrote to the late Howard Walker. In part it read: “This is the piece of wood I told you about…it is 26 inches long. I picked this up [from the P-G filmsite] in ’71 and took [it] home.”

After numerous trips to the filmsite and seeing that many things are still there after fifty years, it is easy to believe that a “piece of wood” could have been on the forest floor some four years after the film was shot.  Think about it for the moment, who would have the presence of mind to collect “a piece of wood” from the filmsite?

Remarkably, someone did. René.  The subject in the movie film either steps on that piece of wood or right next to it as it moves when you study the film. René and other Bigfooters have used that piece of wood as a scale to measure Patty, but not everyone agrees on the merits of doing a simple, one-to-one ratio as a means to measure the creature in the film.

Just recently I spoke with David Murphy, another southern California Bigfooter, and he reconfirmed to me that he did in fact see a “bent” stirrup at Roger Patterson’s tack room (on the outside), nailed to the wood.  Though it can’t be proven at such a late date, it was likely the stirrup from Roger’s horse, Peanuts, that fell and caused Roger to have a noticeable limp later that day.

I am not a horse person but it just doesn’t seem to me that cowboys nail bent stirrups to their tack room.

In Roger’s own words in an interview with the late Dr. John Napier, 1968, he would say: “We had been in this area trying to find evidence of the giant creatures called Bigfoot or Sasquatch. And we had been in there about a week and a half. We were camped on the Bluff Creek there…”

A week and a half, give or take a day, would put Bob Gimlin and Roger in the area on October 9th or 10th. On the commotion that caused Peanuts to bolt Roger stated, “we both fell to the ground,” which, of course, may have been the underlying cause of the bent stirrup.

When asked directly by Dr. Napier about any deceitfulness or fabrication Roger replied, “I don’t believe that there was any possibility that this was a hoax.”

As a researcher of the P-G film, ever piece of puzzle seems to fit nicely into a broader picture and I have never encountered any item that would discourage that point of view.  What is refreshing, indeed, is to see Bob Titmus make a statement in 1972, long before the social media pundits came into play. And his summary findings: “…discovered positive supporting evidence…”

• Upvote 2

BFF Donor

Thanks for sharing.  Lots of interesting information. 

I would love to read the article about the Bossburg tracks.

I once thought that they were possibly real. After some time and reading. 

I concluded more than likely faked.

BFF Donor

Rene grabbing the 'stick' at Bluff Creek is a smart move.  Yet, I am highly skeptical after the fact much of anything could be made of it.  Still, it makes me think IF Patty has stepped on that stick could DNA somehow be present on the stick?  As far as using it to determine height, that seems like a long shot to me.   We know the tracks left behind were something like 14.5"   If so, then the Patty-Foot-Ruler method seems to be a pretty good ball park way to get a fairly decent estimate since each unit has a measured basis as a starting point.  

Considering it was 1967, out of the way event,  and knowing pics and a reported movie was made, I can see why no one would really feel the need back then to secure and document the 'crime scene'     We are lucky we have as much as we do.   Most objectively we have:

1-  The PGF

2-  Photos from Lyle L

3-  Plaster casts

4-   Plaster casts made by others

5-   Maps drawn of the the PGF site at or near the time of the event.

6-   impressions from early observers of the event.

What always strikes me is why Lyle L. showed up with a camera and took pics BUT Bob Timus (arriving days later) did not.   You would think those who showed up early would take pics of what was there -the trackway- and at least bring a camera.   Why go there without one.  Maybe in addition you might think Bigfoot might still be 'catchable' in the area from the recent reported sighting.    After all, you are going there to see the event.   Even later when the Patty walk was replicated by Jim McClarin no one films the remaining actual trackway traces (some with plaster outline left behind) or even takes a picture of them.    Be it right after the event (days after) or even that next year it seems to me you 1) bring a camera and/or movie camera  2) Film the area and pathway traces since that is all there is to film/ see when you get there anyway.  

Finally, as far as Rene's stick did he photograph it before he picked it up?  Did he measure it to see how far it was from some landmark?

Glad we have what we have at least.  I think the stick is a reach even if it the stick.  DNA on such a stick?  Maybe a long shot possibility there.