Sierra Sounds

Patterson-Gimlin

I have heard huffing and growls, but nothing else so far.

I have heard private recordings of vocalizations that were like 1-3 words, not full sentences or conversations. 

I hope to, some day!

18 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

The thing that gets me with the Sierra Sounds is…why has no one ever recorded an equivalent event?

Check out Stan Courtney's website. His collection of vocals is quite amazing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Madison5716 said:

Check out Stan Courtney's website. His collection of vocals is quite amazing. 

I am familiar with Courtney’s site.  I just haven’t heard anything on there that compares to the Sierra Sounds as far as the content or length of the recording.  If you know of any in particular, let me know.

18 minutes ago, MIB said:

I did .. maybe better.   I deleted it.   I didn't recognize it for what it was at the time, I thought it was humans .. Asians of some sort by the language, pre-puberty boys from the pitch, so I deleted it to have room on my recorder in case something interesting happened.   It wasn't 'til later when I got to thinking about context that my interpretation fell apart.    Last week of bow elk season, a little snow at 6500 feet, 3 boys that age, no parents, 5 brutal miles hiking each direction, and no other cars at the parking lot.   Doesn't prove anything but it certainly puts my initial assumption into doubt.   I had over 20 minutes of audio.   Had.  :(

MIB

Ugh.  That’s got to eat at you… however, knowing that you personally heard and recorded similar or even clearer sounds reinforces the legitimacy of the Sierra Sounds in my mind.  

3 hours ago, Huntster said:

Having had several very close encounters with wild wolves here in Alaska, I had another this past August on a solitary caribou hunt. I did not speak to her (like I have done in the past with other wolves), but I should have. My basic body language was no movement and facing her, and hers was pure curiosity. 

Fascinating!  Wolves interest me and scare me in equal measures.

1 minute ago, Madison5716 said:

........Wolves interest me and scare me in equal measures.

"Wolves" (plural) aren't to be trusted. But when alone, they seem to be much more respectful, and their curiosity is remarkable. In August, when that she-wolf approached my camp, I did a few glances around to see if her buddies were sneaking up behind me. But she was alone, and with a sidearm strapped on and standing between my tent and my overturned meat trailer, I felt quite secure.

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Ugh.  That’s got to eat at you… however, knowing that you personally heard and recorded similar or even clearer sounds reinforces the legitimacy of the Sierra Sounds in my mind.  

If I could reach it, I'd kick my own butt.   As it is, I'd probably just pull a hamstring.    Even when you think you're ready and are looking for evidence it is soooo easy to foul it up.   Be recording and have someone decide to talk at the wrong moment "stepping on" what would have been great stuff.    Putting a trail cam too close to a bush susceptible to breeze and having 6000 pictures of moving twigs or faced too much east and having the IR from the rising sun give you 6000 pictures of sunrise.   

I was skeptical of the Sierra Sounds in the beginning.   Just 'cause you know BF exists doesn't mean accepting every piece of purported evidence as legitimate.    I'm pretty sure of them today.   

45 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

Wolves interest me and scare me in equal measures.

Ditto.   Maybe not "scare" but certainly raise my awareness level.   Much of my "mountains" time is spent in areas that OR-7s pack overlaps.    He's likely dead of old age now.   His radio collar went dead a long time ago.   His pack is still here though.   I got him and his mate on trail cam twice and another wolf, probably of his pack, another time.   There are other not-officially-accepted sightings in all directions from here.   I've only heard them once .. don't think they were aware of me, just howling 'cause wolves do that.  

Yes, we have had the forest sound like a jungle where it sounded like there were apes all around us. They sounded like they were speaking with each other as we were all standing there amazed. This all happen back in 2000 in Foley swamp, Northern Michigan. Yes, I did listen to Ron's tapes to get an understanding of these creatures incase I ever ran into them.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MIB said:

If I could reach it, I'd kick my own butt.   As it is, I'd probably just pull a hamstring.    Even when you think you're ready and are looking for evidence it is soooo easy to foul it up.   Be recording and have someone decide to talk at the wrong moment "stepping on" what would have been great stuff.    Putting a trail cam too close to a bush susceptible to breeze and having 6000 pictures of moving twigs or faced too much east and having the IR from the rising sun give you 6000 pictures of sunrise.   

I have mentioned it on here before, but what would have been the best piece of audio evidence that we have ever heard went unrecorded because we were back at our camp getting something to eat.  We took the opportunity to change batteries in our equipment and take a break.  When the screaming and wailing started, we looked at each other and scrambled to get something…ANYTHING recording.  It stopped as we hit play on our camcorder.

Now, we try to have an action cam and a digital audio recorder running at all times.  

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron

Although it did not have language-like chatter in it, one of the better historical audio recordings I recall was captured by old BFFer River who gave several of us permission to reuse/repost the recording some years ago.  I was going to start a separate thread and reissue that at one point, but life happened and a couple med procedures.  So now that I am catching up with stuff from a year or so back here goes.  Thanks to @southernyahoo for sending along the backup  I may have to amplify the file and reissue it in a separate thread as I think it is a very distant capture.  

riverscohuttafilenga.mp3

Edited by bipedalist
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MIB said:

Even when you think you're ready and are looking for evidence it is soooo easy to foul it up.   Be recording and have someone decide to talk at the wrong moment "stepping on" what would have been great stuff.    Putting a trail cam too close to a bush susceptible to breeze and having 6000 pictures of moving twigs or faced too much east and having the IR from the rising sun give you 6000 pictures of sunrise.

It is very frustrating. One has to be ready every second as the opportunity is fleeting you may miss it.

A month, or so ago, I was doing an overnight with a friend and we heard a few barred owls call. Immediately thereafter, and no more than 100 yards from us, I heard a distinct and very loud whistle where I could hear breath coming from it. It was not a bird whistle.  Naturally, I tired to retrieve my audio recorder that has a 15-second buffer but I got to it too late.  I then reached for my thermal but whatever made the noise was gone. It never seems to fail.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I have mentioned it on here before, but what would have been the best piece of audio evidence that we have ever heard went unrecorded because we were back at our camp getting something to eat.  We took the opportunity to change batteries in our equipment and take a break.  When the screaming and wailing started, we looked at each other and scrambled to get something…ANYTHING recording.  It stopped as we hit play on our camcorder.

Now, we try to have an action cam and a digital audio recorder running at all times.  

Kicking yourself in the ass I can relate to . lol :biggrin:    I won't go into the details of my sighting because I've posted about it here before but I wish I had my camcorder in my hand and running when we saw what we saw . I would have posted the video on line and here and asked you tell me what this is ?  Daytime no trees in the way on a dirt road and irrefutable that's it's not a photo shop or fake . I would have said let any expert in the field of video dissect it  I have nothing to hide . What is this thing because it's no known animal I've ever seen. I think lighting sometimes only strikes once in a lifetime.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MIB said:

Even when you think you're ready and are looking for evidence it is soooo easy to foul it up. 

I had a decent blobsquatch photo of the one who yelled at me, and I wiped the screen to show it to a friend.... and deleted it. I just about had a coronary; I was sooo mad. Fortunately, I had emailed it to myself just in case, so I had a back up - but the resolution was not as good as the original. I'm not good with tech. I'd have had a better video of our sighting, too, if I'd known where the FLIR freakin' record button was, too. And don't even ask me about the audio recorder I dropped in the creek/waterfall not 10 minutes after telling NorthWind to remind me not to lose it. Or not taking a picture of the "person/creature" standing in the culvert, because we couldn't decide what it was.

Stuff happens.

The interesting stuff happens so fast... it's amazing that we get anything good. 

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

I had a decent blobsquatch photo of the one who yelled at me, and I wiped the screen to show it to a friend.... and deleted it. I just about had a coronary; I was sooo mad. Fortunately, I had emailed it to myself just in case, so I had a back up - but the resolution was not as good as the original. I'm not good with tech. I'd have had a better video of our sighting, too, if I'd known where the FLIR freakin' record button was, too. And don't even ask me about the audio recorder I dropped in the creek/waterfall not 10 minutes after telling NorthWind to remind me not to lose it. Or not taking a picture of the "person/creature" standing in the culvert, because we couldn't decide what it was.

Stuff happens.

The interesting stuff happens so fast... it's amazing that we get anything good. 

It does happen fast.  

People say “Well, everyone carries a camera in their pocket nowadays.  There should be tons of clear photos.  Where are the pictures?”

Easier said than done.  Action cams can run for extended periods of time, as well as handle abuse and motion…but, they suck at distances.  Cell phone cameras are not really suited for this… You could walk around with a high definition camera with a telephoto lens pressed against your eye all day…until you trip on a rock on the game trail that you are following and drop it.

1 hour ago, 7.62 said:

Kicking yourself in the ass I can relate to . lol :biggrin:    I won't go into the details of my sighting because I've posted about it here before but I wish I had my camcorder in my hand and running when we saw what we saw . I would have posted the video on line and here and asked you tell me what this is ?  Daytime no trees in the way on a dirt road and irrefutable that's it's not a photo shop or fake . I would have said let any expert in the field of video dissect it  I have nothing to hide . What is this thing because it's no known animal I've ever seen. I think lighting sometimes only strikes once in a lifetime.

I remember the first time I saw you post about your experience on the other forum.  Your sighting has always stuck with me, the way that you describe what you saw…

• Upvote 2

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic