Re: Quality Vids and Pix

Madison5716

As a neophyte in this subject matter (especially as compared to the vast majority of you) I really appreciate this article/blog. The explanation makes a lot of sense to this mature (not sayin' old) scientist. I had completely forgotten about the diagrams comparing the vertical forehead of us humans to the head of a gorilla (done by Bill Munns) and placed within the broader context of the piece as a whole, makes this helpful and interesting, at least to me. Thanks, Madison, for sharing it!

• Upvote 2

I've always thought that a smartphone was useless. It doesn't know where to focus and even when you point it out and box it in you often get a blurry photo. Here is a perfect example. Last year, I saw a deer on a summit just climbed and took close to a dozen pictures of it. Not one was a clear or crisp picture of the deer even though I indicated the focal point was its head. In my opinion, smartphones have caused a giant step backward in the chase to get a clear picture.

1170611081_BlurryDeer.thumb.jpg.9900154aa89135916f681c4c45be582d.jpg

I do agree about the higher-resolution cameras as they can provide a lot of information. There seem to be a number of road-crossing sightings so whenever I am on the way to a location, especially my new area, I have the GoPro filming the drive in. I set it to 2.7K at 240fps. Once there and I begin hiking, I select the 5.3K at 30fps. Maybe that needs to be reconfigured to 60fps. I just assumed that a lot of sightings are a sasquatch peeking from behind a tree or casually walking away so fps didn't really matter.

It would be very helpful if someone who is really good with cameras and video recorders to provide suggested resolution/fps for different scenarios. I know nothing about it so my choices are merely a guess.

Great article, thanks!