Possible encounter?

PNWexplorer

I went up into the Idaho mountains earlier this afternoon to do a video review of my UTV for my YouTube channel.  I was in the area for about 2 hours and did not see another human.  I parked at the trailhead, unloaded my UTV, and then proceeded up the trail for my video.

I went about half a mile and discovered that the area had been heavily logged and the trail destroyed.  So I spent the next hour or so doing different takes, different camera shots, etc.

I returned back down to my 4Runner and backed the UTV onto the trailer and shut it off.  As soon as I got out of the trailer, I hear a whistle about 15-20 yards away coming from the deep timber right behind the trail sign.  This sounded EXACTLY like a human doing a quick whistle to get someone's attention.

My initial reaction was embarrassment that I was there for awhile and didn't see or hear someone approaching.  I looked in that direction and expected a hunter or hiker to come out of the woods.  But there was nobody there.   I started strapping down the UTV nervously, with the hair on the back of neck standing up due to the feeling that I was being watched.  I kept trying to process what I had just heard.  Could it be someone messing with me?  No vehicles in the area, and the only trail between my vehicle and the woods beyond was the one I just spent an hour on that was blocked off from the other end.

What's the chance that a human would be miles from his vehicle, 10 yards into the brush from a trail sign, just sitting there for hours waiting for someone to stop so he could whistle at them and not reveal himself?

What about an animal making the noise?  I have heard every single animal and bird noise in these woods and have never heard an animal make a human sounding whistle.  In my review video of the UTV, you can hear a very loud bird call in the woods.  That is a very common bird call and I believe it is of a certain species of woodpecker.  The whistle I heard was NOT a bird, or a fox, or a cougar, or a deer.

Here's my video of trying to figure out what it was...

• Upvote 3

Admin

Are you 100% sure it was a whistle?

Could it have been a squeak from the trailer? you know, metal on metal.

I suspect almost everyone who enters the woods where you were would be armed.  If the whistle originated from a person, they're flirting with danger by messing with someone. What's the risk/reward for someone to do that? They get a 5-second chuckle at the potential cost of you going in there and confronting them.  I don't see that happening.

It was difficult to tell from the video but how was the ground for purposes of presenting a footprint? Was it soft, especially after the rain, and likely to show an impression or was it littered with debris?

7 hours ago, gigantor said:

Are you 100% sure it was a whistle?

Could it have been a squeak from the trailer? you know, metal on metal.

Definitely a whistle.  I was standing next to the trailer and clearly heard it about 20 yds away just in the timber near the front of my 4Runner.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2021 at 2:19 PM, JKH said:

I answered my own question, I guess marmots could possibly be in or near woods. :whistle:

Except that the area was not Marmot habitat and they started hibernation a month ago.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JKH said:

Thanks for clarifying PNW, and agree it's very creepy! Did you get goose bumps, I think I would!

"My initial reaction was embarrassment that I was there for awhile and didn't see or hear someone approaching.  I looked in that direction and expected a hunter or hiker to come out of the woods.  But there was nobody there.   I started strapping down the UTV nervously, with the hair on the back of neck standing up due to the feeling that I was being watched."

Goose Bumpy enough for me, lol.

Edited by Trooper1410

It's quite something to be out away from civilization knowing that you're on you own...literally.  When something odd like this occurs, you know it and feel it.  There is the excitement that maybe discovery is 10' inside the treeline. There is also the nagging thought that maybe I'm being lured into the shadows where nothing good happens.

It's one thing to summon the troops to enter. It's another thing altogether to go in there alone. Kudos.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1