Would Sasquatch Discovery Impact Revenues?

hiflier

Regardless of what did the slaying, not wanting to cause a panic is not reason enough to me to not warn people.   Whatever caused these slayings happened and the people have a right to be warned.    Covering up whatever did it only puts more people in jeopardy.    

It was clearly some form of panther.  They have been sighted (including black) in Appalachia in increasing numbers over the last couple of decades and been denied by F&G for just as long because they want them to gain back lost habitat.  One even cleaned out the livestock of a farm just a few miles from me in central NC.  They don't only kill for food.  If you run from it you trigger an attack instinct and they will attack and in this case kill whatever it can catch.  

10 minutes ago, NCBFr said:

They have been sighted (including black) in Appalachia in increasing numbers over the last couple of decades and been denied by F&G for just as long because they want them to gain back lost habitat.

In the mean time.....(key word: "mean"), it's a meany-head cat.

2 hours ago, Twist said:

Regardless of what did the slaying, not wanting to cause a panic is not reason enough to me to not warn people.   Whatever caused these slayings happened and the people have a right to be warned.    Covering up whatever did it only puts more people in jeopardy.    

But this is the problem. In our case? Wolf reintroduction is unpopular. So when wolves eat your livestock they blame it on cougars and bears. No political backlash that stalls the reintroduction.

Evidently back east someone in government wants the reintroduction of Cougars. So they blame it on wild gunmen?

I will admit that one is new….

11 hours ago, norseman said:

......Evidently back east someone in government wants the reintroduction of Cougars. So they blame it on wild gunmen?

I will admit that one is new….

East Coast style. Westerners are learning it, but Northerners aren't that way........

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=840

.........Riley Woodford is the editor of Alaska Fish and Wildlife News. He lived in La Grande, Oregon for eight years growing up and never saw a cougar, but if he had he would've told his neighbor.

16 hours ago, hiflier said:

I don't know what anyone thinks but even lions in Africa only take down one animal to feast on.

That is not true of cougars here in North America.    They'll go on a killing spree.   Example .. our neighbor Lou had goats.    One night there was a ruckus in the pen.    By the time Lou got out there to see the cougar fleeing, he had 4-5 dead goats.    A night or two later it got a couple more.    He decided to try to ambush it by sitting up in the barn loft overlooking the pen with his rifle.   It killed one and was working on another when he apparently spooked it.    The 4th night it killed 2 and was on a third before he could locate it in his scope.   He killed it.    Between the ones the cat killed and those so badly injured that he had to "put them down", he lost 9 goats.

The crux of the matter is whether or not the prey species has a way to scatter / escape or whether they're penned.    Cats are very instinctive .. programmed.   If something is making a wounded prey fuss squealing and thrashing around as if to escape, they'll attack and kill even if they have more than enough dead to satisfy their hunger.   

If what you say is true, then lions simply don't do that because the potential prey is out in the open where the rest have room to escape while the cat kills its chosen victim unlike Lou's goats .. and likely unlike those miniature horses.

MIB 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I've had a little internal debate going with myself about whether or not to post this. After some back and forth I decided to do so as it goes straight to the heart of the topic of this thread. It came in to me as a PM from a Forum member who has been here for about a year and a half but doesn't post often. And who who did in fact give me permission to share this so here it is, and I quote:

"....got a friend in the mid west, avid hunter, watched covertly as black helicopter SWAT teams converge on group of sas causing trouble in his area, creatures are basically slaughtered & hauled away in huge nets under the chopper...entire clans of them....he was obviously horrified..."

And then followed that up with this, again I quote:

".....have also seen a report of same type tactics being used in the deep south by sheriff's dept. Same sort of SWAT teams seen by a man and his father in close proximity to an adjacent warehouse where the operations were based....I absolutely believe these reports, nothing surprises me about the government doing whatever they can to try to keep it all a huge secret....dealing with renegade sas groups accordingly, those who have been particularly menacing or downright dangerous to the nearby populace."

These quotes fall right in line with the report from Michelle Souliere's recent book, Bigfoot In Maine, which is where I got that Northport, Maine 1997 report that I did that other thread on. The two reports above, plus the one out of Newport, Maine, raises some questions to be sure but should any or all of the reports be true (and I am inclined to think they are) then one large question needs to be asked: If these "nuisance" creatures were NOT being monitored then how did these "teams" know to what extent such operations needed to be orchestrated? As in what assets would be required to neutralize the "nuisance." since each case was of a different magnitude regarding creature extraction? Who were the informers that said there was even a problem that needed to be handled? And what might be the criteria for categorizing a Sasquatch, or a group of them as being nuisance?

And you all pretty much know me enough by now to know that I have a myriad more questions regarding such activities.

Edited by hiflier

3 hours ago, MIB said:

That is not true of cougars here in North America.    They'll go on a killing spree.   Example .. our neighbor Lou had goats.    One night there was a ruckus in the pen.    By the time Lou got out there to see the cougar fleeing, he had 4-5 dead goats.    A night or two later it got a couple more.    He decided to try to ambush it by sitting up in the barn loft overlooking the pen with his rifle.   It killed one and was working on another when he apparently spooked it.    The 4th night it killed 2 and was on a third before he could locate it in his scope.   He killed it.    Between the ones the cat killed and those so badly injured that he had to "put them down", he lost 9 goats.

The crux of the matter is whether or not the prey species has a way to scatter / escape or whether they're penned.    Cats are very instinctive .. programmed.   If something is making a wounded prey fuss squealing and thrashing around as if to escape, they'll attack and kill even if they have more than enough dead to satisfy their hunger.   

If what you say is true, then lions simply don't do that because the potential prey is out in the open where the rest have room to escape while the cat kills its chosen victim unlike Lou's goats .. and likely unlike those miniature horses.

MIB 

It goes beyond that. What you say is true. But cats are notoriously picky eaters. I’ve had deer kill within 100 yards of my house. They eat the liver and maybe part of the hams and move on. Scavengers must love cats! They are nature’s perfect killing machine. And many may not know it but cougar are pound for pound! one of the strongest cat in the world. A large Tom can kill Elk and Moose? By itself! They will jump 40 feet out of a tree and hit the ground running. I’m more afraid of a big cat in the woods than I am anything else. They will actively hunt you. When I’m calling like an elk or whatever my head is on a swivel.

Right now Wolves are impacting Cougar numbers in the west. Wolves own the open spaces. Cougars own the dense timber. Wolves will harass Cougars just like Houndsman run cats with hounds. Dogs have more stamina than cats. And Wolves will chase the Cougar and tree it repeatedly right out of their territory. It tight timber Cougar ambush Wolves easily and kill them. A Cougar can travel on logs and rocks and never touch the ground. Bobcat are even better at it. Wolves not so much.

• Upvote 3

I never had any real concern about cougars 'til that one took a try at me here in our yard.    By the time I realized what I'd walked up on it was too late.   It was cornered against the fence so I didn't want to crowd it.   When I took a step back, it came around the tree and right at me.     Every time I think about that I want to go downstairs and hug my J-frame.   It saved my bacon.   Ever since then, like you said, my head's been on a swivel.  

MIB

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/5/2021 at 12:50 PM, hiflier said:

And you know this how? What I'm saying is that an official organization ISN'T "looking into the phenomenon." Because they already know about it and it makes not one lick of sense to think otherwise. WE are the ones who refuse to accept it and so the onus of ignorance is ours. People need to wake up to the idea that government is fully cognizant of these creatures and that it is us who are way behind. We blame non-discovery on the wiliness of this creature, the same creature who crosses roads and shows itself to Humans. And yet not one shred of hard physical evidence in.....how many years? We have been outsmarted by apparent government non-interest, pure and simple. What we can't seem to comprehend is the truth of it. Government isn't ignoring this creature by a long shot. It is us who are ignoring government as the chief stakeholder in the game.

This isn't making excuses for why discovery hasn't happened, this is telling you why it hasn't happened. No one is going to be shooting this creature. NAWAC has seriously been at it to do just that for over twelve years! Does anyone honestly think that the government and state agencies don't know about NAWAC? That borders on the ridiculous. Or worse, hold to the idea that the government is going to just let NAWAC or anyone else take one down "for science?" I think not.

Have you read Oregon Bigfoot Highway? The authors lists several instances of forest Service personnel who had contact at an elk feeding station. So yes, I would say that yes, the government in aware of them and has a "we leave each other alone" attitude about it. Heck, in my business I have had a few USFS guys who...with no knowledge of the others....tell me little tidbits. One told me they have forms they have to fill out...quietly....when a BF is reported. Another told me that when fires hit, USFS know that the caves are often a refuge for BFs. And two mentioned that if one wanted to have a good chance of seeing "them", you should try Cascade Lakes Hwy. So as I say, I've no doubt the feds know. They just don't want to open a can of worms.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MIB said:

I never had any real concern about cougars 'til that one took a try at me here in our yard.    By the time I realized what I'd walked up on it was too late.   It was cornered against the fence so I didn't want to crowd it.   When I took a step back, it came around the tree and right at me.     Every time I think about that I want to go downstairs and hug my J-frame.   It saved my bacon.   Ever since then, like you said, my head's been on a swivel.  

MIB

My kids went to school with a kid that got snatched in his back yard. He had some bad scars. Basically grandma is washing the dishes and looks out the window and sees her grandson being dragged outta the back yard by his head! She runs out with a fry pan and goes to work on this cat. And luckily the cat dropped him. Lucky it didn’t break his neck. He was little at the time. I wanna say 4-5? It happened up the Kettle river.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, CelticKevin said:

Have you read Oregon Bigfoot Highway? The authors lists several instances of forest Service personnel who had contact at an elk feeding station. So yes, I would say that yes, the government in aware of them and has a "we leave each other alone" attitude about it. Heck, in my business I have had a few USFS guys who...with no knowledge of the others....tell me little tidbits. One told me they have forms they have to fill out...quietly....when a BF is reported. Another told me that when fires hit, USFS know that the caves are often a refuge for BFs. And two mentioned that if one wanted to have a good chance of seeing "them", you should try Cascade Lakes Hwy. So as I say, I've no doubt the feds know. They just don't want to open a can of worms.

Any ideas on why that is?

• Upvote 1