Norse’s trail cam pics

norseman

Nice! A whole allot of meat.

I havent been able to put the camera back up. Yesterday it got to 40 degrees. I buried the Griz is slop. Terrible. So I borrowed my wifes parents old skidder from the neighbor. And dug it out.

On 12/27/2021 at 9:32 PM, Huntster said:

My brother shot a cow elk today near Chama, New Mexico. 6.5 Creedmoor, 140 grain Nosler Partition @ 200 yards.

C37B1A70-B798-48AE-811B-898315006E87.jpeg

Heck of a shot. Nice job by your brother.

I like to read about U.S. historical events particularly the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War. Very interesting and challenging times. Your brother's shot was from 200 yards with a modern rifle and scope. The turning point in the Revolutionary War came from a rifle shot by Timothy Murphy at Saratoga, NY. He climbed up a tree and killed British General Simon Fraser from 300 yards using a rifle with iron sights. British General Burgoyne subsequently surrendered and, with that, the French entered the war paving the way for victory over the British.

At a gun club I belong to, it is very difficult to even see a 12" target at 200 yards much less hit it. I can't imagine trying to shoot something at 300 yards, with iron sights, and with the pressure of everything on the line! 

On 12/27/2021 at 9:32 PM, Huntster said:

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 2

That fresh cat track in the elk trail in the dark makes a 6’3” 250 lbs man shine my light up into the trees…. Just to be sure.

Its a biggin. Bigger than my fist.

I bought a rechargeable ledlenser head lamp from Cabelas. Its brighter than the atv! I love it. Get home and throw it on the magnetic charger. Done deal!

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:
1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

a rifle shot by Timothy Murphy at Saratoga, NY. He climbed up a tree and killed British General Simon Fraser from 300 yards using a rifle with iron sights.

I will take a WAG.  Timothy Murphy was totally color blind. Zero color perception.  Years ago I worked with a totally colorblind guy.  He had scary wicked accuracy with open sights.

5 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Heck of a shot. Nice job by your brother.

I like to read about U.S. historical events particularly the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War. Very interesting and challenging times. Your brother's shot was from 200 yards with a modern rifle and scope. The turning point in the Revolutionary War came from a rifle shot by Timothy Murphy at Saratoga, NY. He climbed up a tree and killed British General Simon Fraser from 300 yards using a rifle with iron sights. British General Burgoyne subsequently surrendered and, with that, the French entered the war paving the way for victory over the British.

At a gun club I belong to, it is very difficult to even see a 12" target at 200 yards much less hit it. I can't imagine trying to shoot something at 300 yards, with iron sights, and with the pressure of everything on the line! 

With my old eyes now there is no way I'd shoot at a game animal at 300 yards with open sights, but I was still shooting NRA silhouettes just a few years ago with a 1903A3 with open sights, and the rams were 250 yards away. And that's free hand standing with no rest. I'd hit the rams pretty well. I seemed to have the most trouble with turkeys.

Three years ago I shot a caribou bull @ a measured 360 yards, but it was with a 3x10 scope in 300 WinMag, 200 grain Accubond. One round through the boiler room. 

My poor brother lives with a wife and daughter who won't eat game meat, and I live too far away to economically get the meat. He gives almost all of it away! That elk would be prime eating.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to replace starter in Grizzly. What a nightmare. Had to tear off the front, tank, air box and carb. The Yamaha dealer in Sandpoint sent me a Chinese starter. I said NOPE. Order me a Yamaha starter. But its 3x as much they say. Don't care.

Also got a new heater fan in the Blazer. Its nice to have heat now!

Also jerry rigged the plow. Hopefully it will last the rest of this winter. Was back blading and somehow caught the plow bracket and partially ripped it off the frame.

36394F9A-9D9C-4D69-B635-50DC48B08E7D.jpeg

B7DA4D93-6CFA-4B83-B567-2106B8C23067.jpeg

7B3E25F3-0889-474C-921F-9B78850AAF38.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Admin
2 hours ago, norseman said:

What a nightmare. Had to tear off the front, tank, air box and carb.

You best clean all that up while you have it open...

I look at Grizzly opened up, ready to be worked on, and only see confusion. What does what and where are all the wires going to? It's embarrassing but the only two things I can do in my vehicle is add wiper fluid and turn the ignition key. All-in-all, that's pretty sad.

Good luck with the new starter and I would have also chosen the Yamaha.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic