Yeti real or myth

Patterson-Gimlin

50 minutes ago, Twist said:

This (IMO) is the biggest reason believers become ex-believers.  Spend enough time following the subject and this becomes an insurmountable fact.    Granted, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence…..but after XX years……..  

All we have to go on is subjective at best evidence and unverifiable accounts.    

^^^^This.

Of course a vast amount of trace evidence is what keeps the ball rolling. Turning the corner on trace evidence toward hard evidence, however, takes a bit of thinking and doing. And believe me when I tell you that this is hard for me to say, but researchers need to raise the bar on the kind of field work that they do. This goes against the grain for many so don't get me wrong, spending time deep in habitat can get results but what kind of results? Recordings? Foot print photos and/or casts? Maybe a sighting? All good, but all are repeat performances that, while interesting, are basically cookie cutter experiences mirroring the last 60-70 years. And the rub is that we all know that. There area lot of us out there, and there are many, many more out there that we don't even know about. And the ones we don't know about are probably doing the same things as everyone else. The way I see of getting out of the cycle takes one of two routes, shoot one or do something simple like this before Spring time and have a place to take it:

1068970579_SnoweDNACollection2.JPG.d32350c5d43a58086914d64251c32813.JPG

Edited by hiflier

9 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I am asking more about the Sasquatch type specimen that may have left footprints in hard crusted snow and ice. 

Like Eric Shiptons ,Lord Hunts and others. 

I don't know.    I've never considered them particularly relevant to bigfoot in the Pac NW so I haven't worried about it much.   Trying to stay focused.    Pongid feet aren't adapted to long distance walking.   Pongids, while they can walk upright, don't look much more comfortable doing it than bears do.   They're fundamentally four-footers briefly operating in two-foot mode.    The tracks I've found are very clearly tracks of something adapted to walking on two feet by preference.    Pongid feet would be at great risk of injury if asked to do what these big near human tracks do regularly.

I'd like to throw out a question.   Perhaps one from ignorance.   We make a lot of assumptions about SE Asia, about distances, remoteness, etc.    As someone from the Pac NW where many of my countrymen (and women) from other parts of the country make incredibly off-target assumptions, I wonder just how well the actual terrain, remoteness, etc match our western assumptions and how much is a result of a sort of cultural bias that interferes with actual understanding.

MIB

49 minutes ago, Twist said:

This (IMO) is the biggest reason believers become ex-believers.  Spend enough time following the subject and this becomes an insurmountable fact.    Granted, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence…..but after XX years……..  

All we have to go on is subjective at best evidence and unverifiable accounts.    

It’s why people shouldn’t carry a BELIEF in something to begin with. Patience and keeping an open mind serves one well.

The Coelacanth was extinct until the very day it wasn’t. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, norseman said:

It’s why people shouldn’t carry a BELIEF in something to begin with. Patience and keeping an open mind serves one well.

QFT. It's an open mind that allows for the possibility that there's a Sasquatch out there. But in my case it has gone far beyond that. In fact, in my case, it's illogical to think is ISN'T out there, and if I wasn't absolutely 100% convinced that it DOES exist then no one would hear boo out of me regarding DNA collection.

Edited by hiflier
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, norseman said:

I think it’s more plausible than most places. People only think about a large primate living above snow line. Where does it hide? What does it eat? But the valleys of Nepal and Bhutan are super rich in flora and fauna.

I had NO idea that Nepal could look like that. I always wondered what they would have to eat to sustain a large omnivore in a snowy or high mountain desert climate, but wow, that film opened my eyes. That's a lot of meat on the hoof AND some predators for competition... yeah, I guess so. Maybe traveling from here to there is what the snow prints are. 

I could see the Yeti as an older species or different branch further from us than the sasquatch species are. Their feet look very different and much more apelike.

Edited by Madison5716
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Madison5716 said:

I had NO idea that Nepal could look like that. I always wondered what they would have to eat to sustain a large omnivore in a snowy or high mountain desert climate, but wow, that film opened my eyes. That's a lot of meat on the hoof AND some predators for competition... yeah, I guess so. Maybe traveling from here to there is what the snow prints are. 

I could see the Yeti as an older species or different branch further from us than the sasquatch species are. Their feet look very different and much more apelike.

Its basically India!

And yes, I think the tracks are transient behavior. And there are reports of Sasquatch doing the same.

12 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

What keeps me out in the woods day-after-day for weeks, months, and years on end is the desire for a sighting. I'll take a sighting that is a fleeting moment or a mere glimpse. No need to tell anyone, no need to prove to anyone, no need to document, although that would be fantastic. The satifisfaction I saw one of God's magnificent creatures is all I ask.

There is no frustration whatsoever with failure. Fieldwork provides me the opportunity to be out in the woods, experiencing nature in all its glory and gloom, while putting myself in the position to see one.

In many ways it's a mirror of life itself. If one can only find pleasure setting an objective and conquering it, sadly you'll miss the absolute joy of the journey. 

Well said. 

13 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'm sure it can be terribly disappointing if someone's principal objective is to prove to the world they exist. Undeniable, fully-verifiable proof.  Me--I could give a hoot. 

What keeps me out in the woods day-after-day for weeks, months, and years on end is the desire for a sighting. I'll take a sighting that is a fleeting moment or a mere glimpse. No need to tell anyone, no need to prove to anyone, no need to document, although that would be fantastic. The satifisfaction I saw one of God's magnificent creatures is all I ask.

There is no frustration whatsoever with failure. Fieldwork provides me the opportunity to be out in the woods, experiencing nature in all its glory and gloom, while putting myself in the position to see one.

In many ways it's a mirror of life itself. If one can only find pleasure setting an objective and conquering it, sadly you'll miss the absolute joy of the journey. 

I thought you've already seen one, no?

No. 

I've had a two wood knocks on either side of a pond in response to mine that convinced me it was the real deal. I also had red eyeshine at a different pond two years in a row. Also convinced it was the real deal. Two 17" prints along with other prints. 

I've danced around it but have never seen one in daylight.  I'll press on and hopefully get that sighting, or encounter, this Spring or Summer.

• 1 month later...
Admin

• 1 month later...

Are you there now? Fly into Kathmandu?

Last April, one of my sasquatching buddies did the trek to Everest basecamp. Once there, you can go beyond and do separate hikes from that camp all guided, of course. The views from both his pictures and descriptions are magnificent.

Here is one of the porters on his trek up:

635972782_Everestporter.thumb.jpg.be6b2480bfdca5320af4ccf218d0c845.jpg

Edited by wiiawiwb

9 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Are you there now? Fly into Kathmandu?

Last April, one of my sasquatching buddies did the trek to Everest basecamp. Once there, you can go beyond and do separate hikes from that camp all guided, of course. The views from both his pictures and descriptions are magnificent.

Here is one of the porters on his trek up:

635972782_Everestporter.thumb.jpg.be6b2480bfdca5320af4ccf218d0c845.jpg

Reminds me of moving furniture! And no Im at home.