Quadrupedal locomotion and "zones"

BugMaster

SSR Team

Quadrupedal locomotion is reported more often than one might think (not necessarily in the SSR). Some say only youngsters do it, but some reporters say that a 6-7 foot creature did it. So, is there a pattern with respect to where they are found? Are they trying to get a better grip of the substrate they are moving on? Does it help them balance?

Research question: Is there an area where Sas'qet go on all fours the most?

Methods: Subset records where quadrupedal locomotion is present AND a zone is reported AND height is recorded.

Results: Only non-urban zones were reported for this subset! As for heights, they varied from less than 4ft to 10ft. 6-8 feet were reported the most in this subset.

Discussion: Quadrupedal locomotion may not be limited to adolescent Sas'qet. Quadrupedal locomotion may be something that these creatures do for a quick get away, to get more points of contact on uneven or rugged terrain (Although looking at these points, all the terrain was classified as either lightly rugged or near flat), or they may simply locomote quadrupedally and bipedally. Some reports I have seen claim that the subject darts off then drops to all fours down a hillside or something similar. Young Sas'qet likely have to learn to walk like we do, thus smaller Sas'qet are likely walking on four limbs.

Final thoughts: We have urban sightings in the SSR, and of those, quadrupedal sights are rare (and are not very vetted, 5 or lower). The lack of quadrupedal movement in urban settings could suggest that if a Sas'qet were to wander into an urban setting, there would be little to no rugged terrain, meaning that it could just walk bipedally because of the flat surface. More rural areas are not necessarily flat and could be more uneven-- causing quadrupedal movement. Of course, we don't have these creatures in zoos or in labs, so we don't know how they behave all the time, but would it be a stretch of the imagination to say that they could split their locomotion between bipedal and quadrupedal movements?

What do you think? Have you seen a quadrupedal Sasquatch? Why do you think they are spotted on all fours? I'm interested to hear what you have in mind.

Next in line for my publication here are some statistical analyses trying to find patterns among reports. Stay tuned for those, I hope to have them up soon, but will be out of town this weekend.

Thanks for reading,

On_all_fours.png

• Upvote 1

• Sésquac
BFF Donor

Some say they are smart enough to mimic birds and other animals. What if quadrupedal motion was just that? As in imitating bears. Others say quadrupedal/crab walking is simply a stealth move in an effort to reduce their profile in low vegetation. In other words, a hunting posture when tree peeping isn't an available commodity for ambushing or hiding/moving closer to a target, like a camp. There are also reports that all being on, or dropping to, all fours is a preparation for either a bluff charge or an outright attack. Like the BFRO report #8547 out of Texas where a hunter in a tree stand observed one getting from tree to tree bipedally when sneaking up on wild hogs and then dropping to all fours to launch itself while letting out a scream and capture one. And IIRC, I also think it was a female.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

• Sésquac
BFF Donor

May I add something here? It has been my contention that if a bear, a highly intelligent creature in its own right, had the advanced primate body of a Sasquatch that the bear would do all of the things that the Sasquatch can do. The difference, however, is that bears, although they pretty much avoid Humans, get suckered in with bait piles which is a brain issue. That being the case, we would have many "bearsquatches" on slabs at universities to study. 

• gigantor featured this topic
  • Moderators

I can remember a witness featured on Finding Bigfoot claimed she saw a deer cross a road and several seconds later (I'm not sure just how long after) she said a Bigfoot type figure crossed in the same spot chasing the deer on all fours. That's what the lady claimed. This happened in a hilly, wooded area.

Another witness on a different episode said he was standing by a decent size tree and a young Bigfoot jumped down out of the tree and took off on took off on all fours. I don't think the witness knew the creature was in the tree and didn't see it until it hit the ground right near him and then took off.

This was in a wooded area that wasn't close to farms etc.