Dr. Melba Ketchum Schedule To Speak About Sasquatch Dna On October 1, 2011

Guest FuriousGeorge

Why not Saskeptic? Francis Crick made his announcement in a pub.

The Eagle Pub

"When the university's Cavendish Laboratory was still at its old site at nearby Free School Lane the pub was a popular lunch destination for staff working there. Thus it became the place where Francis Crick interrupted patrons' lunchtime on 28 February 1953 to announce that he and James Watson had "discovered the secret of life" after they had come up with their proposal for the structure of DNA.[2] The anecdote is related in Watson's book The Double Helix [3] and commemorated on a blue plaque next to the entrance."

That flushing sound is her scientific credibility.

Seriously, we're led to believe that this woman is the lead scientist on a discovery arguably on par with Watson and Crick's, and before her initial paper on that work is even published, she's going to discuss it at the Honobia Bigfoot Festival?

You're assuming she will be making her official announcement at this event, yet no such claim has been made. What she'll discuss or when the paper will be out is nothing but conjecture and speculation at this point. I think it's foolish of her to make an appearance to discuss generic DNA information, but that very well could be what her presentation will be. It's also possible the paper will be released before the event, and this will be one of many appearances she will do post announcement. There's been so much information and misinformation at this point, anything is possible.

For the record, I asked the organizer of the event if he had any details, and he basically said he has no idea if the peer review process will be completed by the time they have the conference, and therefore doesn't know what Dr. Ketchum's presentation will entail. Her addition to the schedule at this point was done in order to meet some deadlines for advertisers.

I'm not trying to be negative but there isn't any dna and there never will be.

And don't take this personally, but I don't believe there's anything remotely paranormal about Bigfoot. But if that works for you, more power to you.

Guest para ape

RW,many people like yourself are naturally against the paranormal explanation because it contradicts with your personal view that these creatures are just animals.

Seriously, we're led to believe that this woman is the lead scientist on a discovery arguably on par with Watson and Crick's, and before her initial paper on that work is even published, she's going to discuss it at the Honobia Bigfoot Festival?

You know what, I can't argue with that. What is she doing? Maybe this means the paper will be out sooner than we thought...

RW,many people like yourself are naturally against the paranormal explanation because it contradicts with your personal view that these creatures are just animals.

In as much that humans are just animals, too, I agree.

BFF Patron

You know what, I can't argue with that. What is she doing? Maybe this means the paper will be out sooner than we thought...

Maybe it just means she's tired of the lab work and more interested in addressing the stakeholders that have been more than patiently waiting and are the lifeblood of the field?

Maybe it just means she's tired of the lab work and more interested in addressing the stakeholders that have been more than patiently waiting and are the lifeblood of the field?

Don't get me wrong, as a BF-enthusiast I will be THRILLED and eat up everything she gives us. I just think that everyone involved has been so careful to do things as scientifically by-the-book as possible, to lessen the detraction from what I think will be proof of their existence, and this is going to work exactly against that effort. It just doesn't seem very scientifically responsible, which I think she needs to be if she is sitting on real proof.

Truthfully though, it won't change my opinion, unless she starts to say things that seem as though she is planting the seed for a letdown. If she sounds like she's trying to let us down easy, then I will certainly be disappointed.

Why not Saskeptic? Francis Crick made his announcement in a pub.

Well a pub sure, they're hotbeds of scientific progress! I think W. D. Hamilton sketched out inclusive fitness theory on a napkin in a pub. This is why I frequent pubs in the hopes of making some great discovery myself. (Usually what I discover is that I can't hold my stout.)

Regardless of where her manuscript is in the review process, we're led to believe that Dr. Ketchum is trying to publish an analysis that would amount to a truly spectacular discovery. Not only is she (according to bigfooty gossip) trying to make the case that we have a large mammal living under our collective nose in the U.S., she's suggesting that this mammal is actually another species of human. The biological, ecological, political, ethical, etc. implications of this are vast. Thus, her credibility and objectivity will be very carefully scrutinized during this process, both by those actively reviewing her paper and those who will read it after it is published.

So is she scheduling a press conference with the Secretary of the Interior? How about the AAAS? For crying out loud, what she's supposed to be suggesting with her research would be of primary interest to the UN! So where can they find her? At the bigfoot festival in Honobia, OK.

Sorry, this announcement tells me that she's really enjoying being the darling of the bigfoot community, and that's about it. I'm thinking about it from the perspective of one of my colleagues who has never heard of her or this research. I imagine that generic colleague reading a headline like "Veterinarian discusses analysis of bigfoot DNA at the Honobia Bigfoot Festival." Hilarity and/or yawning ensue.

Sorry, this announcement tells me that she's really enjoying being the darling of the bigfoot community, and that's about it. I'm thinking about it from the perspective of one of my colleagues who has never heard of her or this research. I imagine that generic colleague reading a headline like "Veterinarian discusses analysis of bigfoot DNA at the Honobia Bigfoot Festival." Hilarity and/or yawning ensue.

Please stop saying things like this. My BF-fanboyism can only carry me so far, and in the back of my mind I know that this makes a lot of sense. It's really killing my buzz, unfortunately... :(

So is she scheduling a press conference with the Secretary of the Interior? How about the AAAS? For crying out loud, what she's supposed to be suggesting with her research would be of primary interest to the UN! So where can they find her? At the bigfoot festival in Honobia, OK.

No offense, but suggesting that she should be scheduling a press conference with the Secretary of the Interior and the UN is a tad misguided. They'd balk, laugh, sneer, roll their eyes, (choose your own description of derision and insert here) at the very idea. The mainstream has so successfully marginalized Bigfoot and turned it into a fringe topic that any official would be ostracized for even considering getting involved with the announcement of a study proving Bigfoot actually exists. The dust would have to settle and public opinion would have to be carefully gauged before they "bravely" jump into the the fray.

Take you as an example. You're dismissing her findings on Bigfoot because she's speaking at a conference about Bigfoot. If that doesn't suggest there's extreme prejudice against the subject, I don't know what does.

I'm going to give it a few weeks to see what comes of this news. If it looks positive I may be booking a plane ticket to Oklahoma for the event.

Call her business,and ask her!

There may be a *lot* of us showing up there. :blink: even if the cost is high because the time spent waiting for this news would justify going IMHO.

Please do let us know *immediately* if you receive any good news! :rolleyes: Heaven forbid we miss any events where BF may be revealed.

How can she discuss BF DNA if BF is not even a *recognized* nor acknowledged animal?

This sounds promising!

You're assuming that it won't be out before the date of the conference.

And her credibility rests (or certainly shouldrest) solely on the scientific quality of the work, not where she chooses to present the information.