How often do we go looking for Sasquatch?

norseman

How often do we go look for Sasquatch?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How often do we go look for Sasquatch?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/31/2022 at 07:00 PM

Weekly.  We have had a full schedule lately, hence my lack of posting.  

I believe that we actually got ‘bluff charged’ a couple of weeks ago.  At least, it matched the accounts of others who have reported such things.  Regardless, it was a dump of adrenaline.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Weekly.  We have had a full schedule lately, hence my lack of posting.  

I believe that we actually got ‘bluff charged’ a couple of weeks ago.  At least, it matched the accounts of others who have reported such things.  Regardless, it was a dump of adrenaline.

Oh cool! No tracks, no snow I suppose?

• Upvote 1

Sadly, as much as I want to go look, I have the WORST sense of direction and could get lost on a one way street. While I have some camping experience, i know my limitations. I'd be endangering myself going solo. If I was with a group of people, I'd have no qualms.

So...unless you count driving on roads through the Oregon forest and looking out windows...it's zero for me.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CelticKevin said:

Sadly, as much as I want to go look, I have the WORST sense of direction and could get lost on a one way street. While I have some camping experience, i know my limitations. I'd be endangering myself going solo. If I was with a group of people, I'd have no qualms.

So...unless you count driving on roads through the Oregon forest and looking out windows...it's zero for me.

Have you ever looked into a land navigation course and a GPS/PLB combo?

4 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I didn’t see what it was…it stayed right outside of my light.  So…I am not going to say ‘Bigfoot bluff charged me”, but I will say that I experienced something that matches up with what other people have described as a bluff charge.  Rather, my partner did.  

That's exciting and I'd be heading back to that area again. Was your partner scared by the charge or thrilled that it happened?

5 hours ago, CelticKevin said:

BRB's advice is spot on. You can learn some basic rules about direction and land navigation then practice in low-risk environments. Go to your local town park that has roads on all four sides and practice basic techniques and rules. You can't get lost because you'll come out on a road. Once you're confident you can travel within the park and find landmarks on the map, go to a larger county park. 

Nowadays, you can down a Gaia App on your phone and print out a local map using CalTopo.  With those two, you can practice going from Point A to Point B. Gaia will be recording your trackway on your phone's screen so you can always turn around and go back following the trackway you've left.

When someone first starts using a topo map, all they see are squiggly lines all over the place. You can learn to recreate in 3D what you're seeing on the map by using sand or dirt and build the peaks, hills, saddles, and hollows. Build what you see on the map. Google Earth will allow you to see it in 3D so you can compare it with your sand/dirt project. That exercise enables you to visualize the environment you are in and where you are located.

Seek out a local wilderness survival school or maybe even an REI as they may have courses in land navigation.  Partner up with others, tag along, and learn from them. For example, here are a few survival schools in the Bend, OR  area. I'm sure there are many others near you. Hiking groups may also have land navigation courses.

https://bushsurvivaltraining.com/-survival-training-courses-bend-oregon

https://www.lifesongadventures.com/weekend-survival-school/oregon-survival-school/

Here is a Meetup Group in the Williamette Valley. I belong to a outdoor Meetup group in my area and have led a number of hikes.

https://www.meetup.com/PrepperNet-Mid-Willamette-Valley/

Here is wilderness-survival training by a the legendary Tom Brown school. It's located in Sandy, OR. I took an intense two-week, wilderness-survival-training course from a survival school organized by people who were graduates of the Tom Brown school. It was excellent.

https://trackerspdx.com/adult/wilderness-survival/

Lots of options for learning.

Edited by wiiawiwb

I count every time I go off the pavement as searching, since I have learned some of the signs of BF the past few years.  Plus, I live in an area with a few sightings and I spent Super Bowl Sunday out at my dad's place in the country, which made the national news as a BF encounter site.

Since I go see him once a week to get his mail and take care of stuff, I suppose I could change my answer to weekly.  I always check the woods and treeline for sign.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

That's exciting and I'd be heading back to that area again. Was your partner scared by the charge or thrilled that it happened?

Terrified at the moment.  It sounded huge, but then just seemed to vanish.  It was a sudden rush of movement….no buildup.  

She believes that it purposely waited for me to move off and then rushed her.  Obviously, that’s an interpretation of the event…we can’t know for sure what it was let alone why it happened.  

We were filming in a full spectrum action cam…but, that’s evidence of nothing.  You begin to hear it, then you hear her scream.  Then I yell and run towards it.  It’s pretty chaotic for a few seconds.

We have startled deer in the dark and stood still while they ran past and around us.  This was different.  Again, it’s just a story on the internet and a couple of seconds of indeterminate footage.  Frustrating.

6 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Terrified at the moment.  It sounded huge, but then just seemed to vanish.  It was a sudden rush of movement….no buildup.  

She believes that it purposely waited for me to move off and then rushed her.  Obviously, that’s an interpretation of the event…we can’t know for sure what it was let alone why it happened.  

We were filming in a full spectrum action cam…but, that’s evidence of nothing.  You begin to hear it, then you hear her scream.  Then I yell and run towards it.  It’s pretty chaotic for a few seconds.

We have startled deer in the dark and stood still while they ran past and around us.  This was different.  Again, it’s just a story on the internet and a couple of seconds of indeterminate footage.  Frustrating.

Kudos to you for running towards it.

10 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Have you ever looked into a land navigation course and a GPS/PLB combo?

Honestly...no. Lol...it never crossed my mind till now.