How often do we go looking for Sasquatch?

norseman

How often do we go look for Sasquatch?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How often do we go look for Sasquatch?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/31/2022 at 07:00 PM

5 minutes ago, CelticKevin said:

Kudos to you for running towards it.

Honestly...no. Lol...it never crossed my mind till now.

There are lots of places that will teach basic and more advanced navigation with a map and compass.  A few classes and a Garmin GPS with a built on personal locator beacon and you might be comfortable enough going out.  

I definitely understand the frustration of not having anyone else around you interested in going out.

I'd say I'm always on the lookout for evidence when I venture into the wild, and most of my backpacking or camping trips tend to gravitate toward areas of interest. Areas with historical significance or sightings alway get pushed to the front of possible future outings, and I'd guess I normally make one or two such trips I to wilderness areas a year.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

There are lots of places that will teach basic and more advanced navigation with a map and compass.  A few classes and a Garmin GPS with a built on personal locator beacon and you might be comfortable enough going out.  

I definitely understand the frustration of not having anyone else around you interested in going out.

I'm told there is a Central Oregon Bigfoot group...possibly affiliated with the BFRO...but I've heard nothing. Even the small conventions they hold here do not have a mention of a group to join. 

Makes me wonder if the BFRO or similar groups are elitist or just leery of being mocked.

1 hour ago, CelticKevin said:

I'm told there is a Central Oregon Bigfoot group...possibly affiliated with the BFRO...but I've heard nothing. Even the small conventions they hold here do not have a mention of a group to join. 

Makes me wonder if the BFRO or similar groups are elitist or just leery of being mocked.

Maybe check out some of the regional Bigfoot pages on Facebook?  Unfortunately, all of Bigfoot related social media is going to be defined by its extremes, but you might luck out and find a reasonably sane person in your area who is interested in going out into the field with you.

8 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Terrified at the moment.  It sounded huge, but then just seemed to vanish.  It was a sudden rush of movement….no buildup.  

She believes that it purposely waited for me to move off and then rushed her.  Obviously, that’s an interpretation of the event…we can’t know for sure what it was let alone why it happened.  

We were filming in a full spectrum action cam…but, that’s evidence of nothing.  You begin to hear it, then you hear her scream.  Then I yell and run towards it.  It’s pretty chaotic for a few seconds.

We have startled deer in the dark and stood still while they ran past and around us.  This was different.  Again, it’s just a story on the internet and a couple of seconds of indeterminate footage.  Frustrating.

I'd call it being-in-the-moment and about as real as it can be. Not just a story to you and your partner...you lived it.  I think it is fantastic and a place I'd go back to in a heartbeat...once I was out of AFib! 

• Thanks 1

Never.

I'm in the woods all the time hunting, hiking, scouting, driving/sight seeing and camping. I spend a lot of time observing nature and learning what I can from it and about it, but never out there specifically looking for a sasquatch.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

......I think it is fantastic and a place I'd go back to in a heartbeat...

From BlackRockBigfoot's description of the incident I read three things: Stealth, speed, and power. Also a scream without a shot being fired. So again, stealth speed, and power- with BRB about 20 feet away. So, a reality check: If it was a Bigfoot, evidently it did not want BRB and his partner there. It makes me more than curious why no one anywhere has brought up the point that BRB's partner could be dead right now from a quick hit and run blow to the chest or head?

In light of that possibility, no matter how remote, I really don't think anyone wants to hear my opinion on the above quote. This bluff charge thing has really disturbed me with a serious concern of what could have transpired instead of what did. The media? Bear attack and a mag emptied into the forest at night with nothing to show for it. Nothing to show for it because of stealth, speed, and power. Not a pretty picture, but then, I knew it wouldn't be. The outcome of that experience could have been a nightmare. It probably was for his partner, but they were fortunate enough to walk away unharmed.

• Upvote 1

We all want everyone here to be safe in the woods and come home unharmed. I've never been bluff charged and I'm confident it is a harrowing experience of the highest order. It might be an event that cements someone's resolve or something that confirms they'll never step foot in the woods again. Each person handles something like that differently. 

We all know there is a certain level of risk whenever we enter the woods. There is the scary type such as an encounter with a mountain lion, coastal grizzly, moose, and maybe a sasquatch where things can go badly in the blink of an eye. Just as deadly is the non-scary type such a widow-maker branch above which becomes dislodged in the wind as we walk under it. Maybe even lightning from a suddenly-appearing storm. Danger can be everywhere.

I started going into a new area where both sightings and odd things have happened to others I know indirectly. In this case, the potential for a problem is known from the outset. I could be as prepared for a sasquatch-related event as possible only to round the corner to encounter a particularly sick or diseased bear hellbent on becoming more familiar with me. Maybe I want to sit for a minute and don't properly check the log and hidden next to it is an angry rattler lying in wait.

For me, a sighting is a life's goal...maybe even a mission. If it were as simple as writing a script, I'd be on a cliff a few hundred yards away and watching it safely from my perch above. Luck doesn't always fall in line with hope. If that sighting is going to occur for me, it may have to come in the form of an encounter and I'll push the envelope to create that if need be. Others mileage may vary.

I said monthly which would be about minimum.    Lot depends on definitions.   Lot depends on weather, smoke, etc. 

If I take a week off work, so I have 9 days in a block, and I spend it all looking for bigfoot, is that once?  Or 9 times?   Changes the answer above, right?  

In summer .. if my chores are caught up and the forest fire smoke isn't bad, I might go out twice a week.   On the other hand, I might be 3-4 months between trips if I've got major chores stacked up or the smoke is to thick to be healthy .. the last 15 years or so we've only had one summer without bad forest fire smoke such that we couldn't see more than a couple blocks and there was visible smoke within 50 yards.   

If I go deer or elk hunting, or fishing, and keep an eye to the ground and/or run audio for vocalizations, does that count or not?  

... etc.

• Thanks 1

I've never gone out looking for a sasquatch, and I likely never will. I would love to one day visit the PG film site and the Freeman film site, but even then I wouldn't consider that to be "looking for a sasquatch". I consider these creatures to be so rare even in their prime habitat that actually hunting one would be pointless.........a hunt with a success rate of 0.001%, and with no legal methods of harvesting your quarry. 

The only way I would consider actually looking for one would be at a location that has fresh activity reported by multiple witnesses, like the Bluff Creek region when Patterson and Gimlin went there in 1967. However, such reports are now well guarded secrets and no longer freshly reported.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CelticKevin said:

Facebook.  Bend Bigfoot Research Group.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/2067991076767839   I'm not sure how organized they are so far as formal expeditions, my sense is a few of the members get together to go follow up on leads, then report their findings back to the group.    

BFRO isn't elitist, just commercial.    Their trips are pay-to-play.   If you are interested, go to their web site.   There's a trip scheduled in early May.    I did that one in 2017 and I thought it was pretty good.   Pondering going again this year, but no decision made so far.