IR Camera Rig

SasquatchPA

I decided to build an IR camera rig to film at night. I have an older Canon XF200 that has an IR mode. It also

has a 1/4 20 threaded hole in the handle. This threaded hole gave the perfect spot to mount a homemade light rig. I bought an inexpensive ball head from flea bay. I used to 1” scope rings and two Weaver bases on the angle aluminum I got from my local tractor supply. The rings worked perfectly on my two IR lights. The ball head allows me to keep the beam

in frame over various distances. This should allow me to film at least a few hundred yards. Not my best work but still functional.

121904C3-FF3D-4BF1-8F19-2D873187B9DB.jpeg

E98806CC-5575-4209-952C-7B60A75E3306.jpeg

• Upvote 2

• gigantor featured this topic

Impressive, indeed! The only thing I would change would be to paint the aluminum angle stock flat black. Good job! I cant wait to see how it performs.

• Thanks 1

Admin
On 4/25/2022 at 5:43 PM, SasquatchPA said:

I decided to build an IR camera rig to film at night. I have an older Canon XF200 that has an IR mode. It also

has a 1/4 20 threaded hole in the handle. This threaded hole gave the perfect spot to mount a homemade light rig. I bought an inexpensive ball head from flea bay. I used to 1” scope rings and two Weaver bases on the angle aluminum I got from my local tractor supply. The rings worked perfectly on my two IR lights. The ball head allows me to keep the beam

in frame over various distances. This should allow me to film at least a few hundred yards. Not my best work but still functional.

Good job!

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I am planning on media blasting the aluminum then painting it. My media blaster is buried in the shop. I need to dig it out.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Nice project, what kind of recording memory size does the  Canon XF200  have?  Reminds me of my old Sony Nightshot ghost hunting research rig but never upped the IR capacities as have you.  

1 minute ago, bipedalist said:

Nice project, what kind of recording memory size does the  Canon XF200  have?  Reminds me of my old Sony Nightshot ghost hunting research rig but never upped the IR capacities as have you.  

It has two CF card slots. I use 64 and 128 gig cards in it. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/25/2022 at 5:43 PM, SasquatchPA said:

What’s the brand on those ir lights?

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

What’s the brand on those ir lights?

These are Foxpro but many others make them as well. Wicked Lights, Sniper Hog Lights, Coyote Light, Streamlight and others

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic