BFRO Expeditions - Anyone doing one this year?

McGlencoe

I would like to see a expedition on the east side, north Idaho, or western Montana. I’m going to be very busy working this summer, I think.

I had tentatively planned to do the Central Oregon trip.   The initial date range coincided with time I'd scheduled off work.   It was changed later and the timing no longer worked out.   Maybe next year.

MIB

@MIB   You have the experience, knowledge, and tools to do an expedition on your own with your eyes closed. What do you hope to get from your several-hundred dollar investment in a BFRO outing? New contacts, lay-of-the-land in a particular area, other?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/28/2022 at 4:25 AM, wiiawiwb said:

@MIB   You have the experience, knowledge, and tools to do an expedition on your own with your eyes closed. What do you hope to get from your several-hundred dollar investment in a BFRO outing? New contacts, lay-of-the-land in a particular area, other?

Sorry, I didn't see your reply.    Kinda late on this.

The cost isn't a deterrent.    By the time I sign up for an expedition and actually attend, a number of months will have passed.   Plenty of time to save up / divert funds as needed for the cost of the trip, food, etc.   

The motivations .. mostly as you suggest.    Time in the field with like-minded people.   New contacts.   A chance to see new places that I might not make the effort to see otherwise.    Also most expeditions are held in areas with a history of activity .. published or not .. and present an opportunity to look into the reports of activity there that I might not make time to look into otherwise.    There can be things other than bigfoot to look into as well .. the BFRO trip I went on was held in a place I've often wanted to visit to fish but hadn't gotten around to it.    Mostly .. though .. just time to hang out in the woods with folks.   Most of my time out there is solo.   My peeps are either not available, not physically able, not interested, or can't afford to do what I want to do.   So I go solo or don't go at all.    The expeditions are a break from that.

• Upvote 1

I went on the BFRO Iowa expedition last month. It was a great time. I already signed up for Iowa Spring 2023. It's the people that make it worthwhile.

I do not need the BFRO to go have bigfoot experiences. I thought I was done with them but they pulled me back in. For me it is worth every penny. It's relatively inexpensive compared to other vacation plans I could make. I still meet up with friends sometimes to go out without an organized expedition, but what is great about the BFRO exped, is that it brings MANY of my good squatching friends together in one place. No expedition can guarantee activity, but Iowa has never failed me yet. There's too many peoople to ever go in one group so we split off. I squatched with different people each night. I will say that your chance of an encounter goes way up if you can keep your group size very small, say 2 or 3 people. I saw a flash of eyeshine reacting to whale calls that we broadcast, and also recorded a couple of knocks. Still, the best part was hanging out with my old friends and gaining a few new ones.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Redbone said:

I saw a flash of eyeshine reacting to whale calls that we broadcast, and also recorded a couple of knocks. Still, the best part was hanging out with my old friends and gaining a few new ones.

Whale calls? I'd bet an Iowa bigfoot doesn't hear that sound very often! Interesting approach, for sure. And yes, it's always good to meet like-minded folks. I have several contacts that I keep in touch with. You just never know what may come from them. 

On 11/23/2022 at 10:21 AM, NorCalWitness said:

How was it?

It was great actually. I didn’t expect much but a good camping trip. Instead I gotten some super intense Sasquatch moments. Some stuff that actually had me almost shittin bricks, lol.  Maybe I was super lucky, and it may never happen again…maybe it was a super hot zone that we went to. I am going back though, that’s for sure.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, DarkEyes said:

It was great actually. I didn’t expect much but a good camping trip. Instead I gotten some super intense Sasquatch moments. Some stuff that actually had me almost shittin bricks, lol.  Maybe I was super lucky, and it may never happen again…maybe it was a super hot zone that we went to. I am going back though, that’s for sure.

I met a group a couple years ago who had met during a BFRO expedition. They were all professional type people and being around other "normal" people who had the same interests in the topic as I do was a very refreshing thing. They were the salt of the earth and good folk. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wanted to do one, just for the experience. 

But I have a ton of expenses that take precedence over that, so maybe some day. 

• 7 months later...
On 11/23/2022 at 2:52 PM, MIB said:

Sorry, I didn't see your reply.    Kinda late on this.

The cost isn't a deterrent.    By the time I sign up for an expedition and actually attend, a number of months will have passed.   Plenty of time to save up / divert funds as needed for the cost of the trip, food, etc.   

The motivations .. mostly as you suggest.    Time in the field with like-minded people.   New contacts.   A chance to see new places that I might not make the effort to see otherwise.    Also most expeditions are held in areas with a history of activity .. published or not .. and present an opportunity to look into the reports of activity there that I might not make time to look into otherwise.    There can be things other than bigfoot to look into as well .. the BFRO trip I went on was held in a place I've often wanted to visit to fish but hadn't gotten around to it.    Mostly .. though .. just time to hang out in the woods with folks.   Most of my time out there is solo.   My peeps are either not available, not physically able, not interested, or can't afford to do what I want to do.   So I go solo or don't go at all.    The expeditions are a break from that.

There is a lot to be said about having others to share the experience. New, unreported sightings discussed, along with areas that may be devloping more interest, new techniques, andm more. I'm in the same boat--many of those I used to go out with in the woods are not going out as much as they have  activities competing for their limited time.

I used to go out with a group and one-by-one they peeled off and most now no longer go. Too bad as it was fun and comraderie I enjoyed. We all must adapt. The good news is when out in the field I can go to the spots of my choosing and conduct myself in exactly the manner I wish. 

I am a professional person with a career and I sell to doctors and deal with investors. I can't go around asking people in my normal life about bigfoot without tremendous risk. sad reality. that benefit of being with like minded individuals in a safe group setting is worth a LOT more than they charge. 

• Upvote 1