What is it (hint not a BF), but would love some rational thought

NCBFr

Taken not to far from my house.  The obvious answer is large house cat but using the sign post as a guide I am not so sure.  Maybe black bobcat but they are the rare of rare.  Black panther, well we all know they do not exist in NA.  Hmm, thoughts.

black cat.png

Well that does narrow down the possibilities considerably.  Are you implying the F&G may be lying?  I would hate to consider that possibility.

49 minutes ago, NCBFr said:

Well that does narrow down the possibilities considerably.  Are you implying the F&G may be lying?  I would hate to consider that possibility.

It looks too big to be a housecat. And it’s a lot longer than it is tall. Bobcat have a blockier profile. It looks like a Cougar. Except the color.

I'm going with large house cat. It looks a lot like my son's black tomcat, Murphy, who is 30" nose to tail in a similar stance, and 12" tall. I don't consider him a particularly large example at that size. The feline in the OP photo is definitely in "search and destroy" mode, stalking something.

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

Edited by BC witness

3 hours ago, NCBFr said:

Taken not to far from my house.  The obvious answer is large house cat but using the sign post as a guide I am not so sure.  Maybe black bobcat but they are the rare of rare.  Black panther, well we all know they do not exist in NA.  Hmm, thoughts.

black cat.png

Who's to say we don't have black cougars/mountain lion? I've heard reports of a few. Perhaps a jaguar that migrated up or was lost by an owner who illegally obtained it?

17 minutes ago, CelticKevin said:

Who's to say we don't have black cougars/mountain lion? I've heard reports of a few.

Produce one.

Sorry to be abrupt, but folks have been reporting "black panthers" for generations. None have been produced. No carcass, nor pelt.

In this case, I'm believing Science. Prove them wrong. Go on.

(I'm not calling out CelticKevin, merely drawing attention to the lack of evidence.)

Logic dictates large house cat.

Edited by Incorrigible1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

The picture was taken in north eastern NC not too far from Raleigh.   There is evidence of Florida panthers migrating up in to the region but not of this color.  

Sorry but the big man from Norse is right, this is not a domestic cat.  Maybe escaped exotic, but not house cat.  

It's really hard to tell.  There is a weed obscuring the neck area making it look feline.  We can't see the whole tail to know if it's long or short.  Have you measured how tall the grass/weeds are in the field?  Have you looked to see if you could find any tracks?

8 hours ago, NCBFr said:

The picture was taken in north eastern NC not too far from Raleigh.   There is evidence of Florida panthers migrating up in to the region but not of this color.  

Sorry but the big man from Norse is right, this is not a domestic cat.  Maybe escaped exotic, but not house cat.  

We have mountain lions not too far from you in Upstate South Carolina.  I saw one myself up close twice when we had chickens.  The family didn’t believe me, until a grocery store a few miles away posted pictures of it on their Facebook page.  It was caught on their security cameras around one of their dumpsters.

The one I saw was normal colored.  

So, I can’t speak to your area or to what is in your photo….but, even though the state claims otherwise… they are in this region.  

• Like 1

Body mass and tail looks like house cat to me. While cougar are present in Appalachia the mass is much different.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Produce one.

Sorry to be abrupt, but folks have been reporting "black panthers" for generations. None have been produced. No carcass, nor pelt.

In this case, I'm believing Science. Prove them wrong. Go on.

(I'm not calling out CelticKevin, merely drawing attention to the lack of evidence.)

Logic dictates large house cat.

LOL..I don't feel "called out". But I will say it is a shade ironic to say "produce one" and discount their existence on a board dedicated to the most elusive cryptid known. 
However, i think there are such black cats prowling around to give weight to these claims. I just think they are more than likely escaped, privately owned exotics or were released intentionally by the owner to avoid prosecution.