What Gear To Carry in the Woods

Madison5716

Here's a very concise, educated list of gear to always carry in the woods. 

Edited by Madison5716

A good reminder to be prepared for a calamity that all of us hopes never happens. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 2:48 AM, wiiawiwb said:

A good reminder to be prepared for a calamity that all of us hopes never happens. Thanks for sharing. 

That is a great way to put it. But I am ready.

I'd like to think I am too but I need to have a printed checklist of critical items and do a quick check before I leave home. Similar to a pilot doing an inspection before taking off.  I decided to do wilderness-survival training 25 years ago and have always relied on my quick inspection before heading out.  Two years ago, I committed a rookie mistake by changing batteries in two flashlights late at night and forgetting to put them back in my chest pack for the hike the next day. It became a problem.

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'd like to think I am too but I need to have a printed checklist of critical items and do a quick check before I leave home......

Yup, I'm a list guy. Documented. It's an old Army trait. The computer age and Excel has made it easy. I have dozens of lists, created for each different species hunt, fishing trip, geography vacation, etc. The list for, as an example, a float hunt for moose, is created in advance of the first hunt. After the hunt notes are added and the list modified to include things that would have been good to have and unnecessary things deleted. If done more than once, the list gets modified after each trip. Packing and shopping is quick after the list is printed and checked off by item when packed or purchased. Ditto for trip menus. Equipment and grocery list/menu are separate. 

Your gonna wanna write this down….

1)Beer

2)Whiskey

3)Cigars

Optional:

Jerky

Matches (for the cigars)

Something sharp

Something that flings lead

Luxurious:

tent

fart sack

hunting license

game bags

TP 

Map

Compass

Rich person:

RV

Generator

TV

Chainsaw

GPS

Rich rich person:

Hire an outfitter!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/20/2022 at 4:28 PM, norseman said:

Your gonna wanna write this down….

1)Beer

2)Whiskey

3)Cigars

Optional:

Jerky

Matches (for the cigars)

Something sharp

Something that flings lead

Luxurious:

tent

fart sack

hunting license

game bags

TP 

Map

Compass

Rich person:

RV

Generator

TV

Chainsaw

GPS

Rich rich person:

Hire an outfitter!

I always carry a chainsaw. And maps, compass and a gps. And sharp things. Not to mention lead flingers.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, WanderingLorax said:

I always carry a chainsaw........

My home chainsaw is a 16" Husqy, and even that is too big to lug around in the boonies........unless I know I'm going to be doing some clearing, like at a bear bait site or a trail I haven't traveled for a while. The big party of guys I used to go moose hunting with used a chainsaw that has always had vegetable oil for the bar so it can be used on meat. We'd get two to five moose on those trips.

I was bringing an electric reciprocating saw on my solo caribou hunts, but I finally gave up on that. I just use a small hand powered bone saw now. Caribou aren't big enough to justify that kind of bulky gear.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:33 PM, Huntster said:

I just use a small hand powered bone saw now.

That is called a 'cordless bone saw'.

I have hand saws and an electric chain saw. I use vegetable oil for bar oil.  I always wonder about vegetable bar oil attracting bears along the roads and trails.

11 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

.......I always wonder about vegetable bar oil attracting bears along the roads and trails.

Used at the site of an ungulate kill, the gutpile is always a near guarantee bear attractant, anyways. 

@Huntster I carry a Stihl 029. We get a lot of trees down across the road. A lot of the time the tree has already been cut just wide enough to get a side x side through. I baffles me why anyone wouldn’t finish the job and make a couple more cuts.

6 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

@buter What makes you think a taser is going to subdue a sasquatch?

I wondered about the ending of this myself. Maybe someone (not me!) should try it on a grizzly or a polar bear first. With video, of course.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WanderingLorax said:

I wondered about the ending of this myself. Maybe someone (not me!) should try it on a grizzly or a polar bear first. With video, of course.

Alaska Dept. of fin & feather has experimented with tasers.  The unit for wildlife is more powerful than the 'human' versions. There has been a lot of interest from other state wildlife agencies. The success of the taser and the reaction of the animals depends on hair / fur and skin thickness. Recovery times are very short. Tasers work well on humans because we wear shoes. 'Grounded' animals, like humans have to be shot at very close ranges. Good luck with that. If you think that you are going to be tased by LE, prepare by wearing slip-on footwear / wear footwear with grounding means.

I have watched Seattle PD try to tase a barefoot person without success.

• Upvote 2

I've seen people on various Cops shows getted tased without affect. Maybe whatever drugs they were using at the time worked to lessen the impact on them.