Minnesota Update Of Sorts(Shrug)

Guest Maggie

I just got one of those tougher Kong balls that has a handle on it, she hasn't been able to make a mark other than scrapings from her teeth,lol

Hide and seek...well this is a variation but she can find me wherever I am in the house. I have my son hold her and he says "Go find Mom!" and she hasn't missed ONCE. Of course dogs have much better noses than we do lol.

I hear ya about the only reward being praise as she eats that up if I tell her she's such a good girl. That whole body is one long wiggle.

The treats she gets are generally when we are chilling out in the evening.

I am going to try your hide and seek version too!!!

She is soooo cute, Maggie. 

Also, while searching for information about a book called "Teluke A Big Foot Account", by White Song Eagle, I stumbled on this passage, which talks about Teluke's relationship with dogs. Thought it was interesting. (A few pages of the book are visible on books.google.com, but you can't see the whole thing.... Hope you can see this screen grab I made!)

From_Teluke_About_Dogs.jpg

Leaftalker, I love that  "blurb" from the book. :) Thank you!

I think it makes sense that there are all kinds of personalities in Sasquatch, probably like any other living being.

Maybe since Nyla is growing up in this type of environment it will mean she will have a "nose" for what is going to hurt us and what isn't? I do know through all the time I have had dogs here and at the family place, they only create a lot of fuss when they are feeling there is a problem. Maybe they don't alert to Sas as much because they aren't feeling that vibe from the local ones. Just an idea.

Here is another pic of Nyla. I got her a new toy today and you would have thought it was a bowl of ice cream,lol.

Nyla10.jpg

16 hours ago, Maggie said:

Leaftalker, I love that  "blurb" from the book. :) Thank you!

-- So happy you liked it. I loved it, too. 

I think it makes sense that there are all kinds of personalities in Sasquatch, probably like any other living being.

-- I agree. And I think that, like most people, most BF are good folks. Patience and understanding are the key. (White Song Eagle, the author of the book about Teluke, had INCREDIBLE patience. I'm looking forward to reading the whole book, not so much to find out about Teluke and other BF, but to learn the secret to being a loving person. And I think patience might be that "secret".)

Maybe since Nyla is growing up in this type of environment it will mean she will have a "nose" for what is going to hurt us and what isn't? I do know through all the time I have had dogs here and at the family place, they only create a lot of fuss when they are feeling there is a problem. Maybe they don't alert to Sas as much because they aren't feeling that vibe from the local ones. Just an idea.

-- That is a FABULOUS idea! And it's dead on, in my opinion. :)

Here is another pic of Nyla. I got her a new toy today and you would have thought it was a bowl of ice cream,lol.

-- I love how her left arm dangles there by her side. She looks tuckered out. Nothing nicer than a happy, pooped puppy. :)

I really like what you have to say about patience, I think you are on the right track with that being key. Impatience just seems to mess a lot up, even if it isn't intentionally.,

It could be the secret to being a loving person...I don't know...maybe if you have patience it give you time to think and not react harshly.

Yup, Nyla was pretty pooped out in the pic, also she just wanted to lay up on the bed and spend time with me. I have found she is very in tune to my moods, if I am lazy, she is, if I am happy, she is. If I am upset, she is not happy either. Even if I am desperately trying not to broadcast these moods,lol.  I have been sad this weekend because of a family situation. She keeps wanting to snuggle with me.:)

Oh, wow!!! So happy your little one is such an empath!!! What a blessing she is. And I'm sorry to hear there's been something going on that's been hard to deal with.

You are a kind person, to try not to broadcast upset feelings. (This, along with patience, is part of being a loving person, I believe. And I love your thoughts about how patience can serve us. I agree with them!) 

Much peace and joy to you and your snuggle-bug.   :)

Yeah, I never thought about her being an empath, that's pretty interesting. :)  As far as what is causing sadness in my life, it's long and complicated and a terrible thing to be happening, especially this time of year. I tend to break every time I think of it but there is nothing I can do, which makes it all the more frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope things are more positive for you now Maggie, and happy holidays to all. My opinion is that Patience is under-appreciated, maybe because it's hard to recognize if a person is doing it right. ;)

I've wanted to suggest a toy for Nyla. You know those big exercise balls that one can sit and stretch on? A long time ago some friends brought their large Lab to visit. He was crazy for balls and destroyed them all, until he found my large purple exercise ball in the yard. We laughed so hard watching him try to kill that ball, good times.

That's funny: "....hard to recognize if a person is doing it right"!!!!!!!! 

I think you do it right, though. And Maggie, too. And Mesabe (and Nyla!), too.

And ditto! Happy holidays to all. 

Thanks Leaf Talker, Happy Holidays back at ch'all, special good vibes sent in Maggie's direction. I hope things clear up, and it gets greater later.

Hmm. I thought I already posted and I guess it didn't show up. I guess it is just as well as I remembered something else minor about the time at the family place this weekend.

The first is that I has been watching my grandchildren, ages three years and three months for a while on Saturday. It may or may not have something to do with this but the track record of this animal coming around when there have been little ones at the house is pretty good. Anyway, they had just left and I was on the porch to putting away matchbox cars my grandson had been playing with. I heard from over by the wooded area along the creek, a noise that sounded like a combination of howl/scream/growl. I only heard it the once but it went on for 20 or 30 seconds, quite drawn out. I know it sounded pissed off and definitely raised the hair on the back of my neck. Nothing more was heard that night.

Then Monday morning when my parents had the little car out and we were getting ready to make the trip back here, I noticed on the back seat passenger side window, what looked like someone/something had taken their fingers to wipe downward on the window. Big fingers whoever or whatever it was. 

So there you have a bit of a story for the holidays and hope everyone has a great one. :)

JKH, I think your idea of an exercise ball. I have a huge Kong ball with a handle that she likes but with the exercise ball, she would find an even more difficult time at getting her jaws around it!! :)

Thanks, Mesabe! And Maggie, wow! Jackpot! :)

I hope you'll forgive my speculation about this, but I'm wondering if the forest person you heard was truly pissed off. I ask because the timing of the sound was so interesting. Whoever sounded off waited until the family left, and only you could hear. You are one of the few (the only one?) in your family who is open-hearted about them, is that right? And they know that. So it might be that they were grabbing an opportunity, with the rest of the family gone, to communicate with you, and only you. 

Most of the "conversations" I've had with the Tall Ones in the woods were very clearly straight-ahead attempts to connect in a loving way, but some have been confusing. The "growls", for example. I've been "growled" at twice. I was terrified the first time. I was completely unable to interpret the meaning of the sound I heard, so I stopped dead in my tracks and asked -- verbally, out loud -- if they could make a second, "confirmatory" noise, IF the noise was intended to stop my forward progress on the trail in the woods that I happened to be on at the time. I heard nothing. Complete silence. So I interpreted that to mean all was fine, and I went on my way, with no incident. (I know I say this all the time, but I strongly recommend this course of action whenever you hear something you're not sure how to interpret. Ask, ask, ask for more information. That says so much to them. It says you know they're there and who they are. It says you are a reasonable person, and not a hot-head; not a threat. It gives them a chance to clarify, if they feel clarification is needed. And if you hear continued noise that appears to be escalating in intensity, turn around and leave. Do not collect $200. Do not pass go. Just leave. If they're making noise, and you have the sense it's not a hello noise, then they just want you to leave, and you should give them that. They won't hurt you. If they wanted to hurt you, you would never hear them coming....) 

Okay, sorry. So anyway, I got a second "growl" a week later, in the exact same spot, but this time, it was softer and closer: right at my elbow. The softness of that second sound clued me in, in a subconscious way, to the fact that the "growl" was in fact NOT a growl, but a kind of greeting, a hello. They were acknowledging that they understood I was scared the first time, and they were trying to "ratchet back" for me this second time, but they were determined to say hello, anyway. 

I had one other kind of quasi-ambiguous vocalization when an invisible "squirrel" rushed AT me, chattering madly away. At the end of the quite recognizable, otherwise unremarkable "squirrel chatter", the chatter suddenly crescendoed into a scream of what sounded like rage and frustration, which scream then abruptly ceased. At this point, I was kind of acquainted with their antics, and I doubled over in a fit of laughter, but then immediately tried to regain my composure (I didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings, if they were attempting to be ferocious) and squeaked out a return "hello". (Here, I trusted my gut instinct that nothing was wrong, and that I wasn't receiving a warning. That's why I didn't ask for confirmation that it was okay to proceed, and it turned out none was needed. No squirrels rushed me again on that trail that day, and no other noises "happened" to get me to snap to attention. It was a "one-off" sound, and I'm pretty sure, for reasons I don't feel like going into here, that it was a little boy BF, and you know how little boys are... But anyway, if you're ever UNsure, ask, ask, ask, ask.....)

So I'm just saying it can be hard to know, sometimes, exactly what they're trying to convey with their sounds. You could be right, that someone was pissed off. But it could also be that someone was SHOWING off, or just saying hello. With the new baby there (they love babies -- who doesn't?), and with YOU there, I'm thinking the likelihood is they were saying hi. 

But maybe something else was going on. Can be hard to tell sometimes.   :)

Edited by LeafTalker
  • Upvote 1

Leaftalker, nothing wrong with speculating! :)  I truly do not know what "they" were trying to convey. It SOUNDED pissed off but since I have never heard that particular vocalization before it could be something else entirely. My gut feeling says pissed off.

It also occurred to me that it could have been some other type of animal, not necessarily a Sas.

I love to hear your experiences and opinions on the whole subject, as it sheds a brighter light on things that I only have the barest bit of murky knowledge on. :)

• salubrious unlocked this topic