Minnesota Update Of Sorts(Shrug)

Guest Maggie

Hi Maggie, Yes it will be interesting to hear the similarities in the accounts happening at your place and this other person's. Someone could also check the banks of the creek for tracks. It almost sounds like your lit up windows are attracting the squatch like a TV screen. Maybe the popping sound was the neighbor's cat it brought along for a snack, like popcorn? LOL Please keep us informed when anything new happens, & thanks for sharing.

• 5 months later...

I haven't been on in a while. There has been nothing much happening around here this late last summer/early fall, except for sometimes that very distinctive smell and the feeling of being watched. NOT conclusive proof for sure! The LACK of any sort of activity is a bit unusual by itself though I am sure there is a pattern to it that I haven't discovered.

My oldest son in North Carolina is right on the edge of the Pisgah National Forest and has lately had some questionable occurences.

Treeknocker, if you read this, I have tried to pm you with no luck. Had to change my cell phone.

And mesable, I agree that the Squatch seem to be attracted to the lit up windows when someone is up quite late.

Edited by Maggie

• 1 month later...
Guest Maggie

Any Minnesotans experience anything lately? It's been a desert as far as squatch activity here lately but then I have been staying around home and not much up at the family place. Though I will be staying there for at least a week, maybe two in May, by myself with the dogs. Might be a good time to see what I can see! :)

I'm new to this forum but I am starting to think I had my first BF encounter a lot longer ago than I thought- in North Carolina. However that is a different story.

I am really familiar with SE Minnesota. I live in St. Paul and because I used to fly hang gliders near Hagar City, WI and also at Lake City and Frontenac, I know the area very well. I also ride my motorbikes in the area a lot.

A friend of mine built a cabin near Alma WI. Nearly every year he likes to set off fireworks around the 4th of July. I was there one time in 2010, about the 30th of June or thereabouts, we were down at his cabin for one of these events. We stayed in his guest room, which is a separate building. About 12:am or 12:30, I heard someone clacking rocks outside the bedroom window. Mind you, not *really* close, but close enough that there was no ambient signature. My girlfriend heard the same sound. It went on for a while 'clack clack',,,,, clack clack...

Funny thing was, both of us thought 'Bigfoot!' Now I had already told her about an encounter I had had in Colorado back in 1990. But when I asked her 'do you hear that?' - she was already thinking bigfoot. I was, simply because the area down hill from the window was thick forest and kind of remote; lots of forest in the area, so it not like someone would have hiked in just to clack some rocks together.

I did not learn until January of this year that rock clacking is a behavior (got that from Finding Bigfoot, that my same friend showed me on cable...)!

We mentioned it to my friend the next day. He was already asleep and did not hear it. However, 3 months later, he did, about midnight.

We have one experiment to perform. The night that we hear the sounds, some kids were camping on the farmland of one of my friend's neighbors. They were across the coulee from us and maybe about 3/4 of a mile away. But just to be scientific, one of us is going to go over to where they were camping and clack some rocks. We will coordinate with radios, the idea being to see if we can hear the sound at the cabin and what it sounds like. This is to rule out the possibility that the kids were not the source of the sound. But I am very sure that they were not...

This seems like it was going on about the same time as some of the events earlier in this thread, only across the river. There is a locks and dam at Alma... so they could cross fairly easily around there. Lotta river bottoms- it could be easy. There is a river the flows into the Mississippi right there at Alma- there is a lot of cover in the area. My friend's neighbor, the one with the farm, drives a school bus. He says one of the kids saw something big, black and bipedal cross the road while waiting for the bus one morning. That was near Mill Creek, so my friend's neighbor calls it Mill Creek Man now. For him it was a joke until we heard the clacking.

Edited by salubrious

Maggie has talked about the area around the Alma powerplant in the past as a possible area of activity. For MN I have none right now so if you hear anything post or PM me.

• 8 months later...

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on here. May 2012 through October 2012 was an interesting period out at the family place. (10 miles or so from Frontenac) In May, several times calls and wood knocking were heard and then again in August/September.

I had been staying for a couple days with my youngest son (age 23) out at the family place while my parents were on vacation. On e morning, around 4 am, I had been down to the bathroom. It was a night that was nice enough to leave the bathroom window open though I had closed the rest of the downstairs windows. I guess I felt "safe" leaving that one open because it is a good 8 foot up and a fairly small opening. I had just washed my hands when I heard a snuffling sort of breathing, growling at the window, the face of whatever this was, right up against the screen. (Shade was down, being moved slighly by the breeze before this happened). One of the reasons I have said nothing about this before now was because ashamedly, I fled upstairs, it happened so fast. I didn't even hear it moving up to the window, it was just THERE. I stood in the bedroom and heard something moving around the side of the house and then away. I really was going to say nothing but recently I read a report on another site of a woman having an experience in Goodhue County the same time as I experienced this.

I have since had talks with my father and believe he has always known there was something around. Before he never admitted to anything but in the past few months has said he has "heard things". How to interpret this, I really do not know in entirety though he did say one of his common experiences was hearing movement around the outside of the house at night. I do not know if he has heard the calls going back and forth or wood knocks. As I have stated before, between here and the family place is 40 plus years of experiences. I had ceased trying to tell anyone. But with the recent sighting in Goodhue County, I thought I would at least put in my two cents.

'10 miles from Frontenac'. My guess, Maggie, is that you are near Theilman. I used to fly down there too many years ago. That area is wooded enough that there should be plenty of habitat.

Since the clacking incident above there have been other things that have gone on. My friend heard the clacking a few months later, about 2:AM in the morning. More recently, just a few months ago, he was on his back deck. It was a still day. He was shooting his air gun towards a tree on a nearby ridge. It was obvious that the gun did not have the range to make the target, but he lobbed several shots through the tree canopy. All of a sudden he heard three loud wood knocks! He says it sounded like someone really powerful had taken a long 4x4 and smacked it really hard into his outhouse, BOOM BOOM BOOM only this was a sound coming from the ridge where he was lobbing the shots.

Seems like there is some activity in this area!

Well, where I am in Kellogg isn't too far from Theilman. The family place is in a little cluster of houses called Belvidere Mills.

I talked with my Mom today and over the last day or so an aunt of mine was talking about something being around here goats,(she lives near Kellogg too.) Mom said she only caught the tail end of it and my cousin telling my aunt she shouldn't be out doing the chores when it's dark. I will have to find out more about that!!

That is exactly how I would describe those wood knocks, it sounded like someone was whaling the he## out of the tree. I should post my daughter's story she wrote on her blog here. I have reported it before. It's interesting to see the difference in what she remembers and I remember,lol. She writes a humorous story too. I will have to see if I can find it.

Oh, after living here, I have no doubt there is activity around this area! :)

Edited by Maggie

Here is the story she wrote on her blog.

Why I Believe Bigfoot Is Real

Okay, so yes way out of left field, I know. Not what I normally write about. I am in the mood today, so humor me. Before I get started, I just want to say: That everyone is entitled to their own opinions on the matter,and I seek in no way to change those.

I just want to relate an incident that happened to me some years ago, that has helped to alter my thoughts on the subject. If you enjoy the story then great and if you don't well then just move along.

I was raised in rural southeastern Minnesota , not too far from the big old mighty Missisloppy (The MIssissippi as it is more commonly known).

Because we lived so close to the Mississippi, my Grandparents house was surrounded by bluffs, and lots of wooded area. In this part of the country, there are no street lamps, it gets just about as dark as dark can get, accompanied by the "moo" of of cows left out to pasture. At night, if you stay up to listen, you can hear the coyotes howling off in the distance.

It was spring 2004. The Grandparents were out of the country, they were on vacation in the Czech Republic. My Mom was "babysitting" (Well at 16 you don't really need to be babysat, it was probably more of a precaution that we didn't burn down the house) which meant: Let the good times roll, because my Mom was not as strict as my Grandparents. Both my sisters stayed too. I think they were off for Spring Break of something like that. So there was lots of pointing and laughing out the window, as my brother Jordan and I had to stand outside in below zero weather, waiting for the school bus, at 6:30 in the morning.(Ok,so there were a couple one finger salutes returned by me, however since you can't see much through mittens, I don't think my point was made. They probably just thought I was waving or something.)Anyways, moving on.

On the day in question, Jordan and I were just returning from school,my Mom was out in the backyard with her dogs. I walked over to her to tell her about my day, as Jordan lumbered into the house. While we were outside it started to get dark. (Daylight savings time had not begun yet.) we got a whiff of something awful! We were surrounded by cow farms and pig farms, and yet nothing could compare with this smell. It was like a dead skunk wrapped up in a dirty diaper. My Mom mentioned that she had read somewhere that is the smell that accompanies Bigfoot. I rolled my eyes and thought "Yeah, right Mom" as I helped her bring the dogs back into the house.

Later that evening my sister returned home after hanging out with some friends. She wanted me to come outside with her while she smoked a cigarette. (By wanted, I mean she flexed her muscles and without say so much as a word, implied that I am bigger than you, and if you don't do what I want, I'll body slam you into next Saturday.) I am a lover not a fighter, and I didn't feel like nursing any bruises, so I agreed. There is a fine art that is applied to walking in snow that reaches up to mid-calf, while you are wearing pj bottoms and tennis shoes. So we shuffled this way, to the big oak in my Grandparents backyard. We were going far away from the house, probably because my sister wanted to share some secrets with me; she didn't want Mom to hear.

My sister Beth plopped on the swing, while I stood calf-deep in snow (remember a lover not a fighter)and she lit a cigarette.There was that awful smell again. My sister could smell it too (no it was not the cigarette smoke). "Ugh" Beth said wrinkling her nose "That smells ******* disgusting". (My sister is fluent in French.) "That's what Mom and I smelled earlier", I said holding my nose. You know that feeling you get, when someone is watching you? How the hairs on the back of your neck stand up? That is what made me look up at the oak tree at that moment. About 8 or 9 ft off the ground was a dark, hairy ape face, slightly illuminated by the security light that flooded my Grandparent's backyard. Now when I am scared, I don't scream, I get very quiet.

That is probably what tipped my sister off that something was up, also that my eyes had gotten big, and her suspicions were probably confirmed, and I started to back pedal as fast as I could away from the tree. As Beth turned to see what was behind her, I had taken off like a bat out of hell, each man for himself. Beth let out a loud "Ahhhhh!" I may have started for the house first, but Beth made up for that by quickly catching up with me, the whole time repeating "****! ****! ****! What was that? ****! ****! ****! What was that?"

We made it to the house at the same time and both smooshed through the screen door on the back porch as fast as we could. Mom was coming out onto the back porch to see what was going on because she had heard my sister scream. I can't even imagine what was going through my Mom's head as both my sister and I tried to tell the same story at once. Me quiet, out of breath, trying to mime to my Mom what happened, while my sister Beth told her side of the story as loudly as she could. Finally I think she got the gist of it: There was a Bigfoot hanging out in the backyard, by the oak tree, and it almost got Beth and Kaye.

Well, I hope that was enjoyable to some of you,lol. Just one of many stories. I think I need to get Kaye to write them all.:)

As I have said, I DO remember this, pretty much the same though with a few points I would dispute a bit..:)

Edited by Maggie

Belvidere Mills is really close to Frontenac ski area. Broken farmland and bluff country- very nice. I've been through there a lot. I used to fly my glider a lot down by Weaver too.

I have a friend that used to live right outside of Stillwater, not far from where the iphone video of BF was made last year. She experienced a wood knock that was right outside her house. She was amazed at the power of it! My friend that has the cabin across the river from you reported the same thing- that the knocks were really powerful.

Makes me wonder though- what do they eat this time of year?? Deer? Not much vegetation out there.

Edited by salubrious

Yeah, I don't believe they are completely vegetarian. Probably omnivores like us?

I remember one sighting I read about a woman seeing one in the early spring by Frontenac.(2008?) She said it was very skinny. Maybe just waking up from hibernation? Or possibly having had a lean winter? Who knows...

That's cool about your friend that has the cabin across the river. From early on I have felt the bluff area along the Mississippi is good habitat for whatever these are!

I remember going through Stillwater on our way to St. Croix State Park. And then driving through the park to the lodge we stayed in. Very easy to imagine Sasquatch there, that's for sure!:)

Edited by Maggie

Can you chase down that Frontenac sighting report?

I hunt for morels in the spring and used to do that on the Frontenac ridge that faces the lake. Got into some pretty dense thickets there- with all the farmland, you would not think its that dense!

It was on the Bobbie Short site "Bigfoot Encounters"? And it wasn't more than a sentence or two. It just attracted my attention because of the location.

There was another thing I remember reading and don't have a CLUE anymore where it was.:( There was a truck driver who used to drive in the Rochester area. Everyone thought he was a little off because he talked about the "damned monkeys" at night along and on the roads. Maybe something to it, maybe not. (shrug)

Now that there is snow in the area it might be a good time to go to your folk's place and see if there are any trackways. They are pretty easy to spot.

• salubrious unlocked this topic