Minnesota Update Of Sorts(Shrug)

Guest Maggie

Guest Maggie

I don't own one but I think it would be of benefit for me to get something like that. And as you say, they aren't super expensive.

I know out there, especially during warmer weather, I could just place it in the open bedroom window at night and be certain of picking up night noises. If I did it every night I am there, sooner or later I would more than likely record those whoops or other such. So, I will check into it. We DID try with one of those outdoor cameras with absolutely no luck.

• 10 months later...

Just updating on the latest. I hadn't really had anything happen except some "calls" while out at the family place.

What I am going to relay took place a week ago, early evening, already dark.

I had spent a very enjoyable day with my oldest daughter and as is usual after she left my place, was talking to me on her bluetooth. It was very foggy and she was having to travel slower. She and I talk so she doesn't feel so "alone" on the way home.

She was past Lake City, not far past "The Jewel" golfcourse (sighting from a party unrelated to us last year and in the same time period that I last experienced the animal at my parents place).

All of a sudden she started freaking out, not making a lot of sense...but finally I was able to get her to slow down. She had just turned up onto 15 from 63. Anyone familiar with this area will know as you start up this road, there are sort of "cliffs" to either side until you get a bit higher up. She said "something huge" was just below one of these cliff areas in what little ditch there is. Not, a deer, not a cougar. I said "What about a bear? Maybe it was a bear?" and she didn't think so, getting scared all over again. Yes it was foggy but apparently not as close to the car as this thing was? In addition she started saying she smelled something like "rotting meat".

I talked with her until she got home (Goodhue)and she was extremely shook up. Wondering if it could follow her and already dreading letting her two little dogs outside. In the midst of this conversation she was telling me about how earlier on in the year, there was something in the back yard one night and it "moved like a blur", so fast she couldn't make out what it was and her dogs didn't want to be out there. First time I heard this BUT I guess back story is, this daughter HATES this sort of thing and never wants to talk about it. She has had her share of experiences of course but she is as repelled by the subject as I am fascinated.

I thought a little while about it, but as long as I am going to keep updating, here it is.:)

Thanks for the upd. Maggie, it's good to see you back again. And it's also good to hear someone is experiencing activity in our state still. I get out once in awhile, hoping to experience something. Mostly wishful thinking I guess, so far all I hear is coyotes and owls. None of the familiar whoops or knocks, for a long time.

As a side note, I have a friend similar to your daughter, only he is a die hard skeptic. I don't know anyone who fishes or hunts more than him, so he is out in the wild, almost 24/7. Since I have been giving him little details of activity I've whitnessed, he has come up with a few of his own. He will deny on his deathbed that it is BF related, but he has yet to come up with an alternate explanation, other than crazy people doing unatural activities, in extreme weather or settings. Take care, and hope you will have more to share.

She was past Lake City, not far past "The Jewel" golfcourse

She had just turned up onto 15 from 63. Anyone familiar with this area will know as you start up this road, there are sort of "cliffs" to either side until you get a bit higher up.

Google has a great street view of this area. VERY interesting location!

I've been through Lake City once or twice but was not looking for local 'wildlife' at the time.

If there is a next time I will look a little closer!

Edited by Redbone

Well, like I have stated, there is 40 plus years of experiences in this area, not just me either. I think a year has rarely gone by without something happening, even if it's just the calls?

It IS an interesting area, I believe this part of southeastern Minnesota, along the Mississippi, with the bluffs, woods etc. is great habitat.

Yeah, my daughter isn't a skeptic because she has had too much happen to her to be.(Actually all my kids have had at LEAST a handful of instances out there. Oldest son has had the most. I am certain I don't even know of them all, but things come up in conversation all the time.) She just would rather forget it and not even talk about it. My mother IS a skeptic but less so than she was upon moving to the family house location over 40 years ago.

I will continue to update as anything happens! :)

This may or may not be anything but in connection with other experiences, I am leaning toward yes.

I was out at the family place this weekend and we were headed up to my sisters on one of the many winding gravel roads in the area. About halfway there we started smelling something putrid, Dad said he thought it was manure but I had my reservations having experienced something like this smell in the past. I just blew it off though.

We got home and my mother and I got out of the car and smelled the same thing. We stood there for a minute, I felt the hair raise up on my neck, I KNEW, but I was curious what she thought because as I have said before, she is highly skeptical. So I didn't mention what my thoughts were. She couldn't place what the smell was. It was like REALLY bad body odor but sort of musky as well. Just a little different from my past experiences though, as those were more of a mix of a body odor/skunk/wet dog scent.  Anyway, who knows. It just struck me enough I thought I would put it in with my updates.

Hi Maggie- nice to see you posting on this thread again!

Funny to think of BF in this area- I have spent a lot of time around Lake City (we used to have a hang-gliding flying site on the ridge overlooking the town). Lots of nice roads for driving the motorbike as well :)

Some people of described the smell sort of like a cross between a wet horse or dog, a skunk and someone that needs a bath. Not experienced it myself, but I am often surprised at the smell that many animals have. Each one is unique.

I've had some experiences across the river from you near Alma. Still trying to sort out if they are there all the time or only passing through. Its been a while since I've seen or heard anything so I am leaning towards passing though. Seems like they hang around more on the Minnesota side.

LMAO Booger...maybe so.... :biggrin:  :biggrin: 

Chiye-tanka, the family place where I grew up is about 12?13? miles from Lake City and after all that has happened up there, it didn't surprise me much that my daughter had her experience.

I am headed back up there on Friday. That doesn't mean anything will happen but you just never know.

On a bit "different" note, I have been told more than once by people familiar and not familiar with the area that it has a strange vibe to it and I know exactly what they are talking about! What I would like to know is, would Sas be drawn to that particular vibe or would it be there because of Sas?  :o 

Sometimes we have a feeling which is that creepy feeling of being watched.

Sometimes you get that more in the woods. If BF is in the area, they probably are watching you, thus the feeling.

Its pretty amazing that your daughter had that sighting. Those cliffs on 63 are kinda in the open if memory serves. But there are enough 'secret' little places in the woods around there that I would think a BF would have plenty of places to hide or hang out.

As you say, there are PLENTY of places. Someone not from around this area might not be aware of just how dense the woods is here. If they are as nature savvy as I believe they are, they are going to be able to outsmart a human every day of the week. 

I remember once (don't recall if I ever put this on here) in October when I was outside, it was dark but the entire valley was ringing with these calls, sounded like coyotes sort of but clearly NOT. It's hard to explain to someone if they haven't experienced it for themselves though.

I find myself really divided as to whether I believe they should be "discovered" (hey, I know they are there already!) or not. I would hope if so they would be left alone. Unfortunately I realize that wouldn't be the case. :(

• 5 months later...
Guest Maggie

Not much has been going on, at home anyway and I haven't been up to the family place since it's been warmer. The only things of note would be the dogs acting reluctant to go outside early some mornings, but I would say that is only a small piece of the bigger puzzle. A few times of smelling something rotten (that wasn't manure on the fields,lol).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Maggie

I was up to the family place last weekend and heard a couple of whoops. So nothing earth shattering,lol.

Wouldn't it be nice if they were whoops of greeting. Noticing that you were around again?

Nice to see you back posting again, and that you are still observing activity of some sort. It's kind the same in my area. We hear some sounds at night that could be owls or whatever. No tracks found lately in my neighborhood. Due to all the housing developement, that is resuming again, I hope they haven't been cutoff in their travel corridors.

• salubrious unlocked this topic