Searching for bigfoot alone in the wilderness at night

yeetus

Does anyone here look for bigfoot alone at night miles away from civilization? What is your method? What precautions do you take?

forest.jpg

I'm a big game hunter in Alaska, and I've been doing it annually for 45 years. For the past dozen years or so, I've done it exclusively solo. I found that it brings me much more satisfaction, and the dangers of doing this alone despite all the advice otherwise, I consider myself safer due to not being hurt by foolish hunting partners (which increasingly happened often). I also didn't gave to babysit others anymore. 

It requires even more planning and equipment as well as the sober realization that even a relatively minor injury can quickly leas to death or disaster. 

I now carry both a PLB (personal locator beacon) on my body at all times, and a satellite phone kept with my off road vehicle. 

I have seen zero sasquatch sign in the areas I've hunted in Alaska over all these years, but grizzles are everywhere.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, yeetus said:

Does anyone here look for bigfoot alone at night miles away from civilization? What is your method? What precautions do you take?

forest.jpg

We do it all the time.

We generally spend the day scouting around and looking for fresh sign or anything out of the ordinary.  At night we try to check out the areas that we found interesting during the day.  We vary our approach…spending part of the time stationary with the rest of the time moving around.  We vary our methods of illumination.  We will switch between white and red lights, while sometimes just using night vision to move.

Other people may have a different experience , but we seem to get out best results when we are on the move at night.  

As far as precautions go… that’s a long list.  Redundant GPS units, backup paper maps, PLBs, first aid kit, backup batteries, firearms, always letting someone know where you will be… Everything from a chainsaw and tow straps to remove downed trees that may block you in to having the ability to filter water, extra food, and the ability to handle flat tires or jump dead batteries.

• Upvote 3

@yeetus

Is there a particular question on methodologies or preparation that you might have?

I am not an expert on Sasquatch, but I am pretty familiar with the tools for and habits of searching for them.  

Here not so much in wilderness areas because we don't millions of acres of  forest like in the northwest of the country  but we have plenty of waterways and one river that reaches into Canada . I traveled alone many nights launching in remote spots  at night using thermal . It would amaze some how remote some areas are when traveling the CT river .

Alone at night? I do as well. Method? I go back to areas that I've heard wood knocks or seen footprints or red eye shine. I also go to areas where several people I know have had a sighting. Off-the-record sightings published no where. There is one area I go where all all of these have occurred. That one area is very creepy, weird, and profoundly strange things have happened there. I will stay overnight when I'm with another person. Everyone I've gone with gets the same creepy feeling. The past four times I've been overnight in that area, a tree has fallen. Too coincidental for me. I've backpacked all my adult life and never heard a tree fall while out in the woods.  Count on it in this area.

Once out in there my method changes. Sometimes, night ops where I walk along a corridor or pathway I've mapped out earlier. Most of the times, it's staying at or near camp and trying to lure one in.

Precautions...I imagine what could go wrong and try to have things to prevent or at least mitigate them should they occur. As BRB mentioned, a PLB, satellite messenger, medical supplies for catastrophic events, a thermal imager (I consider it a warning device), power backup devices, multiple flashlights, a paper map, and a way (or two) to protect oneself. I always tell someone where I am going and when I expect to be back.

• Upvote 1

Kudos to those who gone out in the dark out on their own. I have never done it. These things freak me out when I am out with other people. They scare me. I am not a shame to say it.  Now I have this deep sense that if i do, I might end up like the missing. No matter how much i prepare I will still end up like the missing if alone. I have experienced way too many strange things during the day alone. That night might just be the time I go missing alone. Not sure if it is a sense of fear, but just a feeling I have and have had for a while.

11 hours ago, Huntster said:

I'm a big game hunter in Alaska, and I've been doing it annually for 45 years. For the past dozen years or so, I've done it exclusively solo. I found that it brings me much more satisfaction, and the dangers of doing this alone despite all the advice otherwise, I consider myself safer due to not being hurt by foolish hunting partners (which increasingly happened often). I also didn't gave to babysit others anymore. 

It requires even more planning and equipment as well as the sober realization that even a relatively minor injury can quickly leas to death or disaster. 

I now carry both a PLB (personal locator beacon) on my body at all times, and a satellite phone kept with my off road vehicle. 

I have seen zero sasquatch sign in the areas I've hunted in Alaska over all these years, but grizzles are everywhere.

Are you within the the Alaskan triangle?

11 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

@yeetus

Is there a particular question on methodologies or preparation that you might have?

I am not an expert on Sasquatch, but I am pretty familiar with the tools for and habits of searching for them.  

I think one of the the best methods in the dark is to hike, sit in the dark (without flashlights on) and be very quite while listening to or thermal scanning the environment, and repeat. Basically oscillate between covering new ground and gathering information on the new ground. With luck, you might enter bigfoot territory/pathway.

1 hour ago, ShadowBorn said:

Kudos to those who gone out in the dark out on their own. I have never done it. These things freak me out when I am out with other people. They scare me. I am not a shame to say it.  Now I have this deep sense that if i do, I might end up like the missing. No matter how much i prepare I will still end up like the missing if alone. I have experienced way too many strange things during the day alone. That night might just be the time I go missing alone. Not sure if it is a sense of fear, but just a feeling I have and have had for a while.

I usually only get freaked out when I don't see my surroundings. A weak flashlight poorly illuminates things like tree stumps, causing my imagination to go wild on what it might be, so I use a 1200+ lumen flashlight. I don't worry about bigfoots because I don't believe they are aggressive. I believe they are an Atlantean hybrid between tall human and giant sloth. What concerns me the most are things that I don't know about. As for the unexplainable 411 disappearances, I believe they are caused by aliens called "tall whites" who want human genie pig lab subjects. They follow cosmic law that only allows them to abduct if the victim agrees to it, which could be an unconscious agreement. Examples: visually seeing their craft in the sky and walking towards it in astonishment, approaching a hologram of a naked women, approaching a strange blur caused by what I believe is their portal technology, and following unnatural urges to go to a specific location. To stay safe, I plan my route and keep my mind clear of fear.

503.jpg

Edited by yeetus
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, yeetus said:

Are you within the the Alaskan triangle?

I think one of the the best methods in the dark is to hike, sit in the dark (without flashlights on) and be very quite while listening to or thermal scanning the environment, and repeat. Basically oscillate between covering new ground and gathering information on the new ground. With luck, you might enter bigfoot territory/pathway.

I usually only get freaked out when I don't see my surroundings. A weak flashlight poorly illuminates things like tree stumps, causing my imagination to go wild on what it might be, so I use a 1200+ lumen flashlight.

The last thing I want at night is a bright light. I try to walk using the lowest number of lumens possible. Once your eyes get acclimated to the dark, a bright light is overpowering. Don't get me wrong, if I hear movement, I'll stop and grab my thermal, which is at my fingertips, and see what it is I am hearing.

I can't address the woo part, interesting as it may be, but the rustling I hear in the woods is likely going to be a deer or maybe a coyote. The hope is always when I put that thermal to my eye that I'll see a figure peeking from behind a tree.

No argument that with darkness surrounding you, and almost no humans, if any, anywhere around to help, the imagination can run wild. I try to stay focused on listening to any noise out there. The job at hand.

In the end, the chance of an issue occurring is very remote. The fundamentals of my approach would change if I were in grizzly territory.

7 hours ago, yeetus said:

believe they are an Atlantean hybrid between tall human and giant sloth

Could you expand on that? 

8 hours ago, yeetus said:

I don't worry about bigfoots because I don't believe they are aggressive. I believe they are an Atlantean hybrid between tall human and giant sloth. What concerns me the most are things that I don't know about. As for the unexplainable 411 disappearances, I believe they are caused by aliens called "tall whites" who want human genie pig lab subjects. They follow cosmic law that only allows them to abduct if the victim agrees to it, which could be an unconscious agreement. Examples: visually seeing their craft in the sky and walking towards it in astonishmen

@yeetus

This is my fear, the abduction factor. It can happen at any time of the day.  You cannot stop it. It is just going to happen and there is completely nothing that can be done about it. Whether they are the tall whatever, or the grays. Either way that thought of being abducted is very scary. Even worst is knowing that we are out in the woods with something that we have no idea wat we are dealing with. These things own the night.

I sat in a stand in an evening hunt where I had an encounter. I did something stupid. I called out for it. using my mind. Next thing I know is all I heard was this deep breathing below my stand. when I looked down, I seen nothing. Yet I could still hear it breathing as though it was right next to me. I still had to get down from my stand and this thing was still there. Walked out of my stand with no light so that whatever it was could not see me. It followed me back to my truck.

So that is the fear I have. Abduction, you are not going to be able to stop it. It is just going to take place, and no one is going to know about it.

9 hours ago, yeetus said:

Are you within the the Alaskan triangle?..........

Yes, I live within and most of my outdoor activities are within it (not all). but as a 47 year Alaskan, my understanding of the Alaska Triangle phenomenon is different than how it's presented in the media. It really isn't much of a mystery. Alaska is simply a very dangerous place, and it is easy to simply disappear. I had an old friend disappear in a relatively small area between a trailhead and his homestead cabin (@ a 4 mile trek) just a couple years ago. His remains were found after 4 months just off the trail. In that case, the search area was small, it wasn't in glaciated mountains, and he wasn't far from a fairly well used trail. Most of the disappearances involve lost aircraft........which is why my beloved wife strictly forbade me from buying one.

The greatest dangers are exposure, falls, and drowning. Dangerous wildlife comes in fourth, and we don't even have snakes here (which is one of my favorite things about Alaska!). And with the incredible communication devices we have today, solo outdoor activities are safer than ever before.

Admin

So that is the fear I have. Abduction, you are not going to be able to stop it. It is just going to take place, and no one is going to know about it.

Sometimes, the only way to win is not to play...

Walked out of my stand with no light so that whatever it was could not see me. It followed me back to my truck.

Use the light, they know you are there anyway.

Just curious, does anyone use a head mounted NVG device so they can keep their hands free? If so, how does that work for you?

21 hours ago, yeetus said:

Yeah ... ish.    I don't exactly look for bigfoot anymore as a prime activity, I do other things in areas I've selected because I have come to believe the probability of bigfoot being there at the time I'm there are elevated above background.    I go hunt, fish, backpack, explore, look for views for photography, etc, in areas I think the BFs are likely to be at the time I think they're likely to be there, then just keep an eye open for "sign" (or of course, bipedal shapes) and an ear open for knocks, whoops, etc.

I camp overnight .. deep woods, backpacking, sometimes off trail.   Sometimes alone, sometimes with Bill, a local friend ... hunter, bigfooter, one time report investigator like myself.   I think we get more activity with 2 of us than we do alone.   My guess is the amount of noise we make communicating, even though we're not deliberately obnoxious, does draw attention a lone person simply won't draw because they won't make sound.

Precautions .. standard.  No more, no less, solo vs with a group.   There are other things out there that concern me more than bigfoot.