Smithsonian’s specimens

norseman

@norseman this is a fascinating video. Our family had the chance to have a behind the scenes tour of the Natural History Museum years ago when our kids were small. I worked for a company and the grandson of the company's founder had donated a lot of stuff to the museum, hence the opportunity we were afforded. The museum itself is super easy to get lost in...go behind the scenes into the basement and oh my, it is crazy complex. I especially liked the part about collecting dinosaur bones. It was clear that the curator LOVES the bones in the collection, something that I hope would/will be the case when bones representing type specimens of our favorite creature are represented in this collection some day. Thanks for sharing the vid, Norse, much appreciated, I would likely not have come across it without your help. :)

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

I'd settle for hearing that UCLA has coughed-up the Minaret Calvarium.  Many have long asserted that the fabled BF "proof" already resides in a collection, somewhere.

• Thanks 1

You can bet that the Smithsonian has BF evidence whether they know it or not,  but I d be they know of at least some. They were snatching up all the giant skeletons back in the early days, and now there's "no record" of any of them? That's interesting. ....

That’s if you believe all the news of giant skeletons.   It’s more likely that normal skeletal remains were laid out and measured wrong.     Unless we are to believe that only in small part of US/N.American history giants were being dug up! 🤷

I watched a documentary some years ago about Patagonia. They said that the Spanish encountered large human like creatures covered in hair and had huge claws. They reported that their musket balls and the natives arrows would bounce off of them when shot at. Turns out that a group of taller than average natives had domesticated ground sloths for food and the skins, being somewhat like that of the armadillo, made excellent armor as well as a scary sight by their enemies.

Domesticated ground sloths? Recently enough that they'd still have skins when the Spanish arrived? Do you recall the name of the documemtary?

I got that from YouTube.

Giants Of Patagonia/Digging For The Truth(S2,E11)/Full Episode.

I don't know how post a link to it.

• Upvote 1