How Do Other Animals React ?

Guest Micahn

I do not understand why that encounter would make you stop hunting.

Simply because after I heard those sounds I realized there was something out there more interesting than what I had been hunting.

Around here it is not uncommon for cougars to follow a hunter around, waiting for the gut pile after he cleans the deer. I've heard of this more than once.

I have heard the same about bears here in Florida

Guest Greldek

Bears in Montana are being habituated to the sound of gunshots and going towards them, because they've learned they can quite easily scare the hunter off the kill, or at least get the gut pile. It's becoming a growing problem for hunters, and I've got family who've told me a couple times of being ran off their kill by a bear.

Some people might say "just shoot the bear" but if it's a grizzly and you get caught doing so, you can face a multiple thousand dollar fine, and lose your hunting privileges for life, and possibly jail time.

The maximum sentence allowed under the Endangered Species Act for violating § 1538(a)(1)(G) is six months in jail, a $25,000 fine or both

Bears in Montana are being habituated to the sound of gunshots and going towards them, because they've learned they can quite easily scare the hunter off the kill, or at least get the gut pile. It's becoming a growing problem for hunters, and I've got family who've told me a couple times of being ran off their kill by a bear.

Some people might say "just shoot the bear" but if it's a grizzly and you get caught doing so, you can face a multiple thousand dollar fine, and lose your hunting privileges for life, and possibly jail time.

BF have been doing the same thing for years in the S & SE. Dozens of reports in which hunters have made killing shots on deer, but the deer got out of their sight before it died. The hunters followed their "kill" by tracks & blood trails to the points where the deer "bled out" and died. But the deer were gone. No more deer tracks, occasional there were blood splatters leading into deep cover, but no drag marks. Some hunters have actually seen one of the animals running off with the deer under their arm or on its shoulders. Nearly all of these cases occurred in areas where there are known populations of BF. Most of the hunters were young, didn't even know about BF, and really didn't want to know. In three of the deer camps - two in south Alabama and one in south Arkansas - , older men in the camps tried to tell the hunters what had happened to their deer, and they were laughed at and ridiculed. In one of those cases in Alabama, some of the camp members were sure that members from an adjoining hunting club had stolen a member's big buck because they had found large human-like tracks at the scene, even though one old man tried to tell them what had happened. Some memebers drove to the other camp and confronted them. It nearly got bad.

A year later, I was in that area, heard about the incident, and that night drove to the camp that had lost the deer and talked to the members. Good group with a nice camp within about one mile of a large swamp. I talked to the group about the possibility of there being "Hairy Men" in that area that might have taken the deer. (The older folks in that part of the State called the critters Hairy Men.) Most laughed, ---- but three didn't. We discussed the subject until about 10pm. I asked when they would turn off their generator, they said soon. I asked if I could play a recorded call then. They said sure. Bottom line; I played a BF call, one loudly answered it from the direction of the swamp, and everyone got really quiet. One of the older men walked over and said, "Thats something fot them to think about tonight."

Within a very few miles of that camp. land owners, residents, hunters, fishermen, poachers and sightseers have had encounters with those "Hairy Men" over a span of many years.

• 3 months later...
BFF Patron

Interesting info. Branco, along those lines of playing tapes:

http://johnnystewart.com/Updateable/update_display.cfm?pageID=6&categoryID=13

I'm posting this in the context of this thread because it relates and I'm too lazy to start a new one, lol.

The concept of entering an area in a blind with calls to attract other birds by using owl calls stirred up some

thoughts. Even using barred owl tapes to attract birds in close to me during the daytime is quite an amazing

prospect, this guy seems to do it with gusto.

Photography is the goal with this guys accounts obviously (with some predator elimination done with permission only), but you could just as easily get some amazing audio files/recordings

of bird and other animal reactions to what you are doing.

As Johnny Stewart expounds, don't educate the surrounding forest or meadow by using the technique too often, but I can see this

gravitating into the use of BF soundblasts or tapes in the appropriate venue and even predator calls. Wondering if anyone has had success in using tapes of gun-fire rather than gun-fire itself to attract a BF too. I can see where a back-up would be a good idea when using these tactics (such as when the barred owl takes one of your ears off, :D ).

Almost forgot, add one of these jobbers near the daylight blind with some owl calls and things could get interesting: http://www.gemplers.com/product/G73500/Rotating-Head-Owl

Comments, adaptations, anybody here done something similar to Stewart like this before?

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron
....On three different occasions I have heard BF try to run down coyotes that had messed up their hunts. In Jackson County, WV, a BF coming down a mountain to our call had a pack get in front of him. He roared and charged them, they scattered like a covey of quail, each one squealing and yelping as if they were being beaten....

Ever have the impression that some raccoon fights are not just between each other, or that BF tolerates them to a point?

This thread made me think that Bigfoot might have an "uncanny valley" where canines are concerned.

Just a wag, but maybe that's why he'd target them. Or be afraid of them. Or decide to take extreme action.

On the flip side maybe that's why the dogs flip out at "stranger" until they realize the stranger is stranger than they can wrap their doggie minds around and then they just hush. Or flip out even more and get themselves in trouble.

huh. Our dogs vs. his "dogs".....that'd be a mind bender for sure.

Branco, you used the term in a previous post of the way dogs sound off when a squatch is nearby, "booger bark", thank you for putting a name to it.

Has anyone experienced or heard of any reports of a squatch standing outside of a dog pen and just staring at the dogs? And possibly barking back at the dogs?

This happened to my husband this past Friday, he was woke up by the wolves and dog out in the pen "booger barking", what actually got him up out of bed was hearing an unfamiliar "bark". When he looked out the window he saw the wolves and dog lunging at the back fence and then noticed "it" staring at the wolves just outside the fence line, he said it stood there for a few seconds and then walked back into the woods. He doesn't know if it got bored or if it saw him looking out the window. No tracks, too much leaf litter but able to see where it walked into the woods.

The >"unfamiliar bark"< might have been the thing "barking back" at the wolves and dog. That's the creepy part. The wolf pen is electrified top and bottom, have no idea if this thing was teasing them or trying to get them to leave the pen, very unsettling.

From my own observations, I have listened (at close range) as a sas stood close to dog pens and goat pens, not trying to "get" the enclosed animals, but sort of teasing them, just it seemed, to see the reactions. I theorize that the sasses are puzzled by the selectivity of humans to confine some animals, and allow some to roam around loose.

I've also observed that even when small dogs became agressive in close proximity to a sas, no harm was shown, though I listened as the sas did try to intimidate the small dogs to run away. Each dog's angry barking ceased instantly after several runs around the sas. After several minutes both dogs came into view running as hard as they could for thier backyard. Sorry, I won't go into details on the open forum.-Knuck

Ever have the impression that some raccoon fights are not just between each other, or that BF tolerates them to a point?

Neat question. Unsettling too.

As far as the 'yote-BF connection this might account for oldsters warnings about backcountry areas to stay out of, ironically pinpointing specific places for BF activity.

• 1 year later...

This is a reply to the OP. Every BF sighting and activity I've experienced there were no other large mammals around. It has always been dead quiet, no animal activity.

A couple of guys and myself were sitting in a clear-cut and we watched two cow elk walk out at dusk. My friend did his BF call and the cow elk bolted back into the timber. That was in May 1999 in the Abiqua area.

A farmer I talked to about BF activity on his property said when the creatures were around his cattle and the deer would stay close to his house and they were on edge, and his dogs also would not venture far from his house.

Guest Kronprinz Adam

There is a particular area within the Ouachita National Forest which has a known population of the subject animals...

Hi Branco!! Great account, I started to think that maybe foxes and coyotes actually scavenge deer kills from Bigfoot. Bigfoot comes, kills the deer, leaves the area and then foxes and coyotes have their meal...

Best regards and good luck with your field work!!!

K. Adam.

Remember the magic words: "It was coming right at me!"