Can You Really Shoot A Bigfoot?

airforce47

Duckman:  If you were to hit one right in the eye, perhaps.  These things are built like a tank and it may take a large caliber gun to stop one in the vicinity of an S&W 460 or a .500.  BB, the gent involved in the Desolation Wilderness Encounter carried "Betsy" which was a .500 S&W and it would stop a Grizzly, an elephant or a BF with a 450 grain slug.  Remember a guy in AK stop a grizzly with a 9 mil so it can be done but you best be an expert marksmen.  I'm fairly good but not that good and my carry gun is a Ruger 38 LCR with P + ammo.  It will deter almost any foot and a couple of them might bring one down as a no other choice situation.  Have a good one and my best,

LL

Huntster:   I agree with you about going into the woods unarmed.  I did post to this thread about the two groups looking to kill a specimen of Bigfoot.  They've been at it for more than a decade and they have had some minor success but no specimen yet.  To be really safe you need a larger caliber from .357 on up.  Mine is a Ruger 38 LCR with P + ammo and it will deter most things.  My best,

LL

On 9/3/2022 at 7:59 PM, airforce47 said:

Duckman:  If you were to hit one right in the eye, perhaps.  These things are built like a tank and it may take a large caliber gun to stop one in the vicinity of an S&W 460 or a .500.  BB, the gent involved in the Desolation Wilderness Encounter carried "Betsy" which was a .500 S&W and it would stop a Grizzly, an elephant or a BF with a 450 grain slug.  Remember a guy in AK stop a grizzly with a 9 mil so it can be done but you best be an expert marksmen.  I'm fairly good but not that good and my carry gun is a Ruger 38 LCR with P + ammo.  It will deter almost any foot and a couple of them might bring one down as a no other choice situation.  Have a good one and my best,

LL

As any good hunter knows bullet placement trumps caliber size every day of the week. If I were actively hunting bigfoot you wouldn't catch me with a handgun, I'd have a rifle, probably an AR-10.

Great topic and great Q.  (Any lawyers out there?):

-If someone shot a bigfoot what would really happen to them.  How much trouble and what kind of trouble might they be in?   

-If someone shot someone thinking it was bigfoot but was really a man in a suit, how deep is the trouble they might be in?

In my opinion there are numerous trustworthy accounts of someone shooting a Bigfoot.  THe ancillary question that enters

my mind is:  Is one able, after shooting, to veify the Bigfoot's demise and collect its body? 

I’ve heard multiple account of BF being shot.   I know of 0 accounts of a BF body being recovered and presented to science.   

What can we learn from this?   Multiple scenarios.   0 of which I know or believe.

1.).  BF is shot but so close to human it’s hidden/disposed of.

2.) BF is shot and recovered by other BF.

3.).  BF is shot and kept secret by said shooter for various reasons.   

4.). BF does not exist and thus never shot.

5.).  BF is shot but never in an area recoverable by Human.  

6.  BF is shot and is not of this earth.  ( not exploring this option obvious reasons of BFF policy)

7.) BF. Cannot be killed by human means.    

There are plenty other reasons and many flaws in my “scenarios”.  The answer is perplexing if we start all assumptions on the idea of BF being a real phenomenon short of idea #4.   

IDK.   I’m just a normal country bumpkin that loves the subject.   I have 0 answers and 1 class B or maybe C experience that started me down this path.   Hoping one day someone smarter than me figures this all out!!!  🤷🤷

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Grover Kranz said words to this effect about shooting Bigfoot:

The first man to do it, they will give him a medal

The next man to do it, they will give him the electric chair.   

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/9/2022 at 10:29 PM, Twist said:

I’ve heard multiple account of BF being shot.   I know of 0 accounts of a BF body being recovered and presented to science.   

What can we learn from this?   Multiple scenarios.   0 of which I know or believe.

1.).  BF is shot but so close to human it’s hidden/disposed of.

2.) BF is shot and recovered by other BF.

3.).  BF is shot and kept secret by said shooter for various reasons.   

4.). BF does not exist and thus never shot.

5.).  BF is shot but never in an area recoverable by Human.  

6.  BF is shot and is not of this earth.  ( not exploring this option obvious reasons of BFF policy)

7.) BF. Cannot be killed by human means.    

There are plenty other reasons and many flaws in my “scenarios”.  The answer is perplexing if we start all assumptions on the idea of BF being a real phenomenon short of idea #4.   

IDK.   I’m just a normal country bumpkin that loves the subject.   I have 0 answers and 1 class B or maybe C experience that started me down this path.   Hoping one day someone smarter than me figures this all out!!!  🤷🤷

Sounds about right. Of course I lean towards number 4.

On 9/2/2022 at 1:02 PM, Duckman said:

If it's real and it's flesh and blood, a properly placed shot with a .22 could kill it.

If its real I'd rather take my chances with a 45-70 :D

• Upvote 1

License to kill

I wonder if there are places where one could preemptively acquire permission to shoot a bigfoot.   I'm talking about actual permission where, should someone actually shoot and kill such a creature, avoid any trouble.

There might be many reasons someone might have pause to shoot a bigfoot if that chance ever came.   Fear of getting into trouble might be a valid reason they don't shoot.  I wonder if it is even possible to get permission verbal or otherwise and from whom to allow such a shot to be legal. 

I remember in our town a person getting busted in a drug bust.  In addition to all the charges they faced, the state added a charge for "violation of the drug stamp" law.  Previously the state had passed a drug stamp law essentially saying if someone was going to engage in Al Capone illegal drug dealing the drugs had to have a drug stamp issued by the state on the drugs.   If it did not- and it wouldn't- they could use this to increase the sentence of the drug dealer and as a basis to confiscate property of the drug deal to fund drug fighting efforts.   The thing is, I doubt one could go to the courthouse even as a joke and purchase a drug stamp.   Makes me think of a Bigfoot license.   The DNR might say a person did not have permission to hunt/shoot bigfoot where the hunter might say such a license was never made available.  

Can one get a license to hunt bigfoot?   

8 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Can one get a two-fer and add a unicorn tag?

I have mine! I bought it at the Silver Dollar Bar in Montana. I’m positive it’s valid!

E8F7C418-17C1-411A-9FE0-0DDFBC5126FF.jpeg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Backdoc said:

Can one get a license to hunt bigfoot?   

License?  No.   License is the wrong word.   License is "to hunt", not to "take" a particular species.   You maybe should have said permit or tag.    Typically you'd need a license to hunt AND a tag for the species.   For that, existence must first be proven.   I don't think there are any exceptions.    The only legal way I can see to shoot one is in a state where critters not specifically listed as protected are legal to shoot.  

Edited by MIB
clarify my wording a bit

4 hours ago, norseman said:

I have mine! I bought it at the Silver Dollar Bar in Montana. I’m positive it’s valid!

E8F7C418-17C1-411A-9FE0-0DDFBC5126FF.jpeg

Wish we had those in Florida.

6 hours ago, Backdoc said:

License to kill

I wonder if there are places where one could preemptively acquire permission to shoot a bigfoot.   I'm talking about actual permission where, should someone actually shoot and kill such a creature, avoid any trouble........

This is an excellent subject and experiment to pursue. Even if one was confident of rejection, getting an official denial (and reasoning for it) would be worth the effort of putting together a permit proposal.

Here in Alaska, ADFG would be the agency to issue a permit to hunt/harvest a sasquatch, but since the best sasquatch habitat are federal lands, a harvest would still be legally tenuous. In fact, I'm pretty sure that ADFG would defer to the federal government, simply to get somebody else to juggle that hot potato.

If the permit proposal included a sound plan with methods and means, a sound post-harvest plan, was managed by an accredited biologist (or team of them), and the hunting activity was supervised by a registered Alaskan big game guide, it would be difficult for ADFG to deny a permit. The feds? I'm pretty sure they would deny it.

Private lands in the Oklahoma/Texas/Florida/etc areas would defeat that potential problem.