Can You Really Shoot A Bigfoot?

airforce47

Admin
41 minutes ago, Huntster said:

This is an excellent subject and experiment to pursue. Even if one was confident of rejection, getting an official denial (and reasoning for it) would be worth the effort of putting together a permit proposal.

Here in Alaska, ADFG would be the agency to issue a permit to hunt/harvest a sasquatch, but since the best sasquatch habitat are federal lands, a harvest would still be legally tenuous. In fact, I'm pretty sure that ADFG would defer to the federal government, simply to get somebody else to juggle that hot potato.

If the permit proposal included a sound plan with methods and means, a sound post-harvest plan, was managed by an accredited biologist (or team of them), and the hunting activity was supervised by a registered Alaskan big game guide, it would be difficult for ADFG to deny a permit. The feds? I'm pretty sure they would deny it.

Private lands in the Oklahoma/Texas/Florida/etc areas would defeat that potential problem.

Next week Expedition Bigfoot will read this and attempt to obtain a permit.

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

This is an excellent subject and experiment to pursue. Even if one was confident of rejection, getting an official denial (and reasoning for it) would be worth the effort of putting together a permit proposal.

Here in Alaska, ADFG would be the agency to issue a permit to hunt/harvest a sasquatch, but since the best sasquatch habitat are federal lands, a harvest would still be legally tenuous. In fact, I'm pretty sure that ADFG would defer to the federal government, simply to get somebody else to juggle that hot potato.

If the permit proposal included a sound plan with methods and means, a sound post-harvest plan, was managed by an accredited biologist (or team of them), and the hunting activity was supervised by a registered Alaskan big game guide, it would be difficult for ADFG to deny a permit. The feds? I'm pretty sure they would deny it.

Private lands in the Oklahoma/Texas/Florida/etc areas would defeat that potential problem.

I called the US Fish and Game and asked them about taking a type specimen. What I learned.

1) They only administered federal wildlife refuge areas.

https://www.fws.gov/program/national-wildlife-refuge-system

BLM, Forest Service, etc defers to state wildlife agencies. Except for the Park Service. 

2) They handle customs importation of animal skins, horns, feathers, etc of species.

3) They only give out permits for studying species to accredited scientists. Laymen need not apply.

Our local refuge is this one…

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/little-pend-oreille/visit-us/locations/little-pend-oreille-national-wildlife-refuge

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Sésquac
BFF Donor
58 minutes ago, gigantor said:

Next week Expedition Bigfoot will read this and attempt to obtain a permit.

I hope so. The application and official response alone would be appropriate programming for one episode.