Thermal Imaging Camera Recommendations

hvhart

^^^ From what I see I agree. Even the low end recheargable allows for about 10 hrs in the field with zoom capability along with its photo/video feature. No more pricier than the low end FLIR TK's. It also offers a 50hz refresh rate instead of Flir's 9hz which would seem to be better for panning quickly? Given the opportunity to do over on my budget I may have gone with this model instead: https://www.atncorp.com/thermal-monocular-ots-xlt-160-2-8x

Edited by hiflier

17 hours ago, Brian said:

ATN makes a great product and most record video! Had a scope for 3 years so far so good!

I was wary of ATN because of all of the horror stories that I heard about their customer support and service.  

It seemed like when they worked, they worked great.  When there were issues… it was extremely difficult to deal with the company 

On 1/5/2023 at 12:09 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I wouldn’t even recommend a FLIR right now.  After how they have suddenly refused to service discontinued models, I wouldn’t buy anything with an internal battery from them.  I would go with an entry level AGM before FLIR.  AGM at least is trying to make their presence known in the market and offers great after sales support 

Spot on, FLIR has had major issues for repair service since they have been sold to Teledyne.   The best companies are Pulsar and AGM at this time regarding ease of use, resolution and storage factors. 

The majority of AGM units can be bus-powered off a power bank for 5 hours ( on-board memory ) for overnight use. I highly recommend Pulsar for a higher grade unit, they are sturdy and have great sensitivity along with accurate battery life at 8 or 16 hour use.  The customer support is great also, no complaints from my experience.

• Upvote 1

Point taken. I have seen reviews like that for FLIR as well but didn't experience anything but quick professional responses and emails- and I didn't even have a high-end product. One has to wonder if some bad reviews are intentionally posted by a company's competitor. In either case no company is perfect and many seem to have good product performance/customer service reviews along with lousy product performance/company service reviews. A good research effort regarding a potential purchase should help with anyone's decision on what they wish to have or need in the field vs. a company backing up their product as far as customer response, warranty work, and out of warranty work. The point being that whichever product one decides on then the money should take into account a company's overall reputation for after-purchase support. 

On 1/4/2023 at 5:01 PM, hvhart said:

I am looking to buy a thermal imager with still and video capability for under $1000, hopefully around $500.  Any suggestions from the experienced are most appreciated.  I see some advertised for auto mechanics.  Will these work for wildlife at a distance?  Anybody have an Innova?  Thanks!

Make sure you consider the native magnification difference when comparing units.