2023 Urban Bigfoot, Seriously?

Lake County Bigfooot

On 2/15/2023 at 12:09 PM, norseman said:

Also we always called them Rattlers or Diamond backs.

In herping and scientific circles, this is why the scientific name is important.

Edited by Incorrigible1

The snake pictured above is like the one I caught in Southwest Oregon: A Northern Pacific Rattlesnake (Crotalus oreganus) in defensive position. Placer County, California. And Incorr you are correct about the Timber Rattlesanake is on the east part of the US. 

Admin

I don't care what they're called, I hate all snakes.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, gigantor said:

Replace "hate" with "love," and we're the same!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Incorrigible1 said:

In herping and scientific circles, this is why the scientific name is important.

Absolutely! We were just arguing the other day about Red Fir. I said no….that’s Doug Fir or Douglas Fir. Buddy says no. Come to find out Red Fir is in the Sierras…

Another one that trips me up all the time is Salmon. King = Chinook, Pink = Humpy, Silver = Coho, etc. And then all the landlocked versions have another set of names! Ugh!

30 minutes ago, gigantor said:

I don’t care about snakes so long as I see them first.

Here is another interesting fact. Our Moose are in fact called Elk in Europe. Our Elk would be called Stags in Europe.

It seems our pilgrim ancestors got their wires crossed when they hit the shore.

6 hours ago, gigantor said:

I hear ya'........   My favorite creatures have fur, and are happy to see you. Some snakes have interesting colors and patterns but aren't happy to see you unless they are 35' and hungry!  

• Haha 1

Funny, I woulda sworn that I'd heard they were raised to their own species, but it seems not to be the case 

I too quite rather like snakes, and have kept them since I was six, so over 50 years. Even now there's 10 boas and pythons in the front room of my house, along with 8 monitor lizards.

And georgem...yeah I can differentiate between timber rattlesnakes, northern pacific rattlesnakes, and the gopher/bull/pine snakes. A gopher snake, what we call em in so california, was my second snake ever, back in 3rd grade. He lived another 19 years!

Anyone ever hear of a Sasquatch killing and eating a snake? Would make sense they might take advantage of all the available resources.

On 2/19/2023 at 4:26 PM, guyzonthropus said:

Funny, I woulda sworn that I'd heard they were raised to their own species, but it seems not to be the case 

I too quite rather like snakes, and have kept them since I was six, so over 50 years. Even now there's 10 boas and pythons in the front room of my house, along with 8 monitor lizards.

I assume that you do not have any problems with intruders. When they die, do you make fancy boots, wallets and hat bands?

11 hours ago, Lake County Bigfooot said:

Anyone ever hear of a Sasquatch killing and eating a snake? Would make sense they might take advantage of all the available resources.

I recall reading a report several years ago from the Southeast, I believe Tennessee, in which a woman standing on her deck observed an adult sasquatch grasp a fair sized snake by the tail and snap it like a whip, killing it. I don't remember any other details.

The strangest interaction I had with a snake was bow hunting early season . It was time to climb down because it was sunset and getting dark and when I looked down

there was a large 6 foot plus rat snake coiled up at the bottom of the tree . I got down to the 7 th step and it tried to strike at me . I was like get out of here and started

swinging the bow at it and it finally went far enough away for me to climb down. Next day I went to hunt the next spot and it was coiled up again next to my stand .

When I got closer it gave that fake rattle and it looked pissed off so I decided to hunt another part of the forest . I had several stands installed there on private land .

My guess maybe it had it's nest there and eggs hidden somewhere 

• Like 1

Ratsnakes are the best! Consummate vermin hunters, very arboreal, and quick with that tail-shake, like bullsnakes. I kinda doubt your guess, as they don't provide care nor protection for their eggs.

I kept one for several years. He (it, I didn't probe it) had a voracious appetite for rodents, and wouldn't accept pre-killed offerings.