Seasonal migration?

TGB

19 hours ago, Duckman said:

The only one in that group that I couldn't call an absolute fraud is Norseman...

There's only one way to prove Bigfoot exists and 99% of supposed researchers aren't even willing to consider doing it. That's why bigfoot "research" is a joke.

And yet another troll has hatched. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

And yet another troll has hatched. 

It has parents? There goes my spore theory.

Edited by hiflier
  • Haha 2

Temperature is -6F here. Wind is blowing 30-40 mph. Any Sasquatch families outside around here would just look like a big hairball.

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron

Buckle up @hiflier could be worse, you could be a lineman on Mount Washington, New Hampshire at -100F windchill

Edited by bipedalist

Buckling up is the least I can do when those guys are out there in the worst of conditions restoring power. They have, and deserve, my untold respect. admiration, and gratitude.

It was minus 4 here a week ago and we had minus 25 here is December. No offense. But the media acts like their hair is on fire when the east coast is getting hit. Or California. Here? Generally I cannot even find coverage. 

21 hours ago, norseman said:

It was minus 4 here a week ago and we had minus 25 here is December. No offense. But the media acts like their hair is on fire when the east coast is getting hit. Or California. Here? Generally I cannot even find coverage. 

E Coast S of ME is loaded with drama royalty:)

• Haha 1

This migration thing should be simple.   Obviously, areas which are harsher in weather are less likely to be ape country.   There are many factors to consider but just food alone is a factor.   If Bigfoot eats plants as part of the diet (and who knows) many plants do not grow in the winter.   We tend to attribute what we think Bigfoot might eat and so on.  We have no idea.  We can make an educated guess based on what known same or similar animals might eat.   

The best concept is summed up best in the movie Silence of the Lambs:

Hannibal Lecter: First principles, Clarice. Simplicity. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?

Bigfoot's nature would be that of most advanced primates.  It would need the typical survival instinct stuff.   This would be warmth, food, shelter, drive to reproduce, and so on.   You don't do much if you starve to death.  This means food alone should be a driving consideration.   Bigfoot would require a lot of food.  Less than a whale and more than a mouse. 

One Bigfoot show had the scientist lady say [as she walked in the woods] state, "This is a vast wasteland" referring to the woods and food supply.   Her point seemed a bit of a stretch as she was in a mild temp PNW forest which seemed plentiful to me.  But she did make a great point how a large-brained animal would require a lot of calories to meet daily energy needs.  Now put those woods in a winter climate with cold and snow and her point carries more weight.

What are Bigfoot's needs and nature?    When we can correctly guess that it can tell us what profile we could create.  Until then, we will have Bobo on TV saying, "It's a Squatch" to every random twig snap and leave us all guessing about Bigfoot's needs.  Just like a criminal profiler, you have to know him to catch him.  This takes an accurate profile based on the facts the best we can know them.

My feeling is Bigfoot could exist in Traditional Bigfoot Country.  That would be the more temperate forest of the PNW.   I am surprised should bigfoot eat fish we don't see more reports of Bigfoot by a stream catching salmon the way we see hours of footage of bears doing this.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Backdoc said:

This migration thing should be simple.

Yep, simple, like a space shuttle, 250000 moving parts made by the lowest bidder.  

Migration is incredibly complex, essentially impossible for us to map.   It's a matter of basic statistics: the report data is so sparse that you don't have repeatability thus you don't have predictability.    The only time you'd have an exception to that would be in the case of habituation and a good number of "interwebs" bigfooters scoff at that notion.   If y' throw out the only locations where sufficient data may lie, well, you don't have sufficient data.

MIB

16 hours ago, MIB said:

Yep, simple, like a space shuttle, 250000 moving parts made by the lowest bidder.  

Migration is incredibly complex, essentially impossible for us to map.   It's a matter of basic statistics: the report data is so sparse that you don't have repeatability thus you don't have predictability.    The only time you'd have an exception to that would be in the case of habituation and a good number of "interwebs" bigfooters scoff at that notion.   If y' throw out the only locations where sufficient data may lie, well, you don't have sufficient data.

MIB

Everything can be as complex as we want to make it. 

Regarding 'Migration':   it would seem all that is needed is some reason for animal(s) to need to move on.   All the steps needed to actually migrate can be complex but the general reason can be really simple.   Take a water supply.  It dries up.  Things relying on that water supply must move on because they require water.  How they do that might be complex.  Why the water dried up might be complex.    The big picture is not complex.   The lack or water motivated the movement.   Simple.

Now we have to focus specifically on the topic of Bigfoot.  I would say as long Bigfoot has the things it needs, it is likely to stay put.  I could be argued mankind encroaching on Bigfoot territory leads 1) to encounters and reports and 2) the stimulates such a shy animal to move out of the area.

The Big Q I have always had about the concept is really based on food supply.  I am not talking about Berries in the woods some Bigfoot might eat.   I am referring to mankind's food supply.  Specifically our trash.   Our cooking hamburgers on the grill.  I have read where wild dogs, wolves, and so on where domesticated in the cave man days because they were attracted to our food and trash.  After gradual encounters with these animals, the animals gradually became pets.   Bear live in the woods.   True.  Yet bear will come into a camp site and go through the trash attracted to our cooking smells or the food man is throwing out.   

Shouldn't bigfoot be doing this as well?   I always wonder about that.  

Trash cans hold potential danger for bears

Tom Biscardi once had a theory that possibly Bigfoot migrated seasonally from the NW United States down to Mexico.

I read this in a media article dated May-1973 on the BFRO, tied to Los Angeles County, CA. He felt the Bigfoot would pass through Antelope Valley in LA County, but when the newspaper article was written, he thought the migration through Antelope Valley was just about ended for the year.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2023 at 8:23 PM, TGB said:

Interested in everyones thoughts regarding migration habits of these creatures.

I am in Ohio so specifically hoping for ohio input.

Has there been work done in this area?

All input wanted regardless very curious if the geographic location matters.

Is it related to prey/game migration?

Is it weather related?

Habitat incroachment?

What would a territory range size be?

Or are they nomadic? 

Are we talking family units, individuals or tribes?

Are these individuals being seen near the suburbs similar to black bear males out looking for mates and territory of their own? 

Just my two cents thrown on the ground here but I our neck of the country they don't migrate. I'm right next door in WV, we have reports in nearly every month of the year. In my opinion, these creatures set up shop in a location that has everything they need and once they have that location locked down they don't leave it until they are forced out by circumstances. When a location has the abundance of natural food sources and source of readily available natural sugars I don't see why these creatures would have a need to move around much unless pressured to do so.

As to the snow question, I do track in the snow. we have multiple track casts that were cast in either snowy conditions and or iced over muddy areas. I think what it mostly boils down too is that a majority of bigfooters  are fairweather enthusiasts and if it's snowing, raining, or too cold/hot they are staying indoors and watching syndication bigfoot television lol.

I don't believe they migrate in the traditional sense of the term, but believe they definitely move around or temporarily occupy an extended range based on food availability, human encroachment, etc...

Natural disasters, such as flooding, forest fires, volcanoes (remember Mt St Helens?) would definitely cause a forced relocation on a long-term or permanent basis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinwalker13 said:

I think what it mostly boils down too is that a majority of bigfooters  are fairweather enthusiasts and if it's snowing, raining, or too cold/hot they are staying indoors and watching syndication bigfoot television lol.

My approach to the selection of a specific bigfooting location (once a general area has been identified) has been always been to go where others would not be interested in going. Traipsing through, or around, a cedar swamp, slow going through blow down, or just simply going off trail. I'd bet 99% of the people take the path of least resistance.  It's a joy to find those snowy or muddy footprints knowing that nothing may have been through the area except for you and "it". 

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1