Are Old Bigfoots Sly When Hungry & Take Out Solitary People

georgerm

SWWASAS...plussed! Hahahahahaha

Who knows, might be just what the shaman ordered 

"Find one that walks with a limp, they're much more likely to be full of anti-inflammatories and heart meds, that you need,  that and they're easier to catch and dispatch, unless,  by chance, you catch a feisty one yelling "I might be old, but I ain't going down easy you giant lemur!" then it's groaning so much during its pursuit, and hears/tracks you by your groans and curses, next thing you know yer both sitting on a log comparing knee pains while polishing off your knapsack full of granola bars!

Edited by guyzonthropus
Auto-correct hate me......
  • Haha 1

BFF Patron

Well I have been told that those that have been around humans much do get fond of certain human snacks.       I wish I could trade them granola bars for gold nuggets.    If they have been here thousands of years they have to know where all the gold veins are.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

My concern with older BF who are slowing down is that they seek out older BF researchers who are also slowing down with age.   I can only hope I am on so much medication that they know I would taste really bad.   

Oh, goodie, something else to worry about in the woods 😆 

3 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Evidently, according to SWWASAS, only if one is NOT on medication. Do gummies count?

SWWASAS~~

"Ok, I'll leave this entire box of tasty treats for a handful of those shiny yellow rocks you come across now and then. A whole box! That's 24 treats!" 

makes ya wonder just how many ounces/pounds a sasquatch handful amounts to? "I may just have to get you another box......."

BFF Patron
24 minutes ago, guyzonthropus said:

SWWASAS~~

"Ok, I'll leave this entire box of tasty treats for a handful of those shiny yellow rocks you come across now and then. A whole box! That's 24 treats!" 

makes ya wonder just how many ounces/pounds a sasquatch handful amounts to? "I may just have to get you another box......."

Actually while BF may enjoy sugary human treats it is cruel to supply them because of tooth decay.     I can just see having to explain or demonstrate how to brush their teeth after eating sweets.       If you demonstrated it they would think you have rabies because you are foaming at the mouth. 

Any of you doing field work in Skamania county need to know the story of the Mexican mine.     A Mexican in the  late 1840s  came into Carson or Stevenson (I cannot remember which) and deposited a bunch of gold nuggets in the bank.      He was evasive when asked about where they came from and mentioned someplace near the headwaters of the Lewis River.    Word got around town and as the story goes he was followed out of town by some members of the local first peoples tribe.    They followed him out of town and at some point in time he was killed.   People began looking for the mine but the problem is that the Lewis River has two forks.     Headwaters of each are in widely separated locations.    In a couple of years his son showed up, apparently had a letter from his dad with the mine location and he headed out of town, was folllowed but gave the followers the slip.      He was found killed also and for several years the first peoples tribe was spending a lot of gold in town.    Apparently that coused so much trouble in the tribe that the Chief ordered that the mine opening be covered and tribal members were forbidden to go there.      The only clue I know of is that the mine was in a quartz deposit which is pretty rare in the county.       Placer gold is found in the East Forik of the Lewis River but not the North Fork.     But there is a mountain labeled Quarts Mountain on the North Fork.     I bet the BF know where to look.  

On 2/26/2023 at 9:32 AM, SWWASAS said:

Well I have been told that those that have been around humans much do get fond of certain human snacks.       I wish I could trade them granola bars for gold nuggets.    If they have been here thousands of years they have to know where all the gold veins are.  

They probably do but have little use for it. 

On 2/26/2023 at 3:27 PM, Madison5716 said:

can't get the large type down....................so bear with me!

Another Adventure from George McNair's Diary

The Hungry Black Bear

The spot we fished on the wild Rogue River near Gold Beach, Oregon was only doable by boat. My fly casting skills were adequate, and I landed several nice Steelhead that are really sea run Rainbow trout to trace their lives. Little did I know, danger lurked across the 20 foot narrow river passage. In the bushes up a steep rocky bank across from me it probably watched me with a hungry eye that I assumed was on the fish and not me. Assumptions can be very wrong that can lead us to a very dark pit. I had no idea what their MO or mode of operation was since I was about 15 years old. I thought they ate fish, berries and and bugs under rotten bark. Another wrong assumption. The Black Bear looked to weigh 275 pounds and had thick black fur, furry ears, and beady eyes.

My Dad, Ray McNair 2, loved to fish steelhead on the lower Rogue River between Gold Beach and Agness, Oregon. During the late summer, Dad took all of us up to the Shindler cabin built by Otto Shindler, the grandfather of Bo Shindler, a friend of mine. My grandad, Ray McNair 1, plumbed the cabin using materials from the McNair Hardware of Bandon and helped build the cabin. Where is this story leading? A true Black Bear story while fly fishing.

When very young, I remember packing our gear for a tenday adventure on the Rogue at the cabin with Polly, my Mom, Ray 1 and brothers, Chuck and Bill. Sister Sarah was not born yet. We got there with a long delivery river boat owned by Lex Fromm. Lex probably invented a propeller prop shaft that could be lifted out of the water when crossing shallow water. It operated with a foot lever. Lex dropped off visitors along the river with boxes of supplies since no roads existed at the time. We got dropped off on the gravel bar several hundred yards downhill from the cabin. We struggled and hauled each package up the hill to the one a bedroom cabin.

Finally a time for fishing. We launched the twenty foot rickety river boat that was kept submurged at the river's edge to keep the wood swelled that prevented leaks. We went a half mile downstream to Cole River. We spread out on a long gravel bar and began flycasting custom made flies that Chuck learned to tie.

As I fished some rocks began to bounce down a steep rocky bank across from me so I looked up, and here came a Black Bear that I thought was after my fish. At the time I had no idea that Black Bears would break the necks of humans and drag them off for food so I was ignorant and not scared. Being cautious, I strung up my fish and walked a quarter mile down stream and told my Dad.

Anyway the bear sniffed the air, snorted, and went back up the steep hill. Some say ignorance is bliss.

What made me think of this time from long ago? Watch YouTube: “Three Boy Were Stalked and Killed While Fishing by this Black Bear”

Dang! Ever since I was snuck up on by a polar bear when I was a zookeeper, there was a fence between us, but imagine turning back to its enclosure, yer face maybe 8-10" from the fence only to have your entire field of view filled with white fur, then looking up to see the bear with its front paws at the top of the10' fence, it looking down with a " this close to lunch, monkey, this close" look on its bear face, I've had a deep respect for bears, what they can do, and just how sneaky they can be when they put their minds to it! Nearly had a heart attack right there! It crossed its rear enclosure silently in about 2-3 seconds over 50-85'!!

But a big black bear could mess a fella up too! I've ran into them in the foothills of the San Gabriel mtns, and a couple of those I steered wide of to be sure! 

• Like 1

There's a hilarious current movie featuring a black bear that likes to ingest packages of a white, powdery substance.

BFF Patron

I just saw a internet post about hippos some drug king pin imported to central America that are now hooked on drugs and very mean.      So a similar bear is not a stretch at all.   

• 2 weeks later...

Those hippos are in columbia, brought in by the infamous Pablo Escobar, for his private zoo. After his death his empire crumbled, his hippos broke out into the surrounding river systems. They have established themselves and are expanding their numbers and territory. Last I heard, they hadn't killed anyone yet,  but they're known to come ashore, into villages even, so it's probably just a matter of time. It's tricky when the locals have no reference as to just how dangerous they can be.  It will be of interest to see how long it takes the local crocodile and caiman species to start integrating hippos into their feeding behaviors, as they will probably prove the only viable predators in that ecosystem, aside from humans, to keep their numbers in check. Though there may be a few species of fish, catfish in particular, that could maybe take a baby, it the parents lapse for a moment or two....