BigfootBookman

Bigfoot's Blog!: Exploring Bluff Creek Bigfoot History

BigfootBookman

"I used to be disgusted,

Now I just try to be amused."

--Elvis Costello, who also sang a song called,

"What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love and Understanding?"

s.

Thanks for recognizing we're getting a bit off track here and trying to bring it back.

Enough references to what went on in the past. I do not want to see that discussed here at all because it is in the past, has nothing to do with the *new* BFF, and it doesn't benefit anyone.

Let's leave the past in the past and work together in a more harmonious manner.

We share a common interest and that should unite us to some extent, regardless of where we stand on the issue.

parnassus

Steve,

I guess you didn't see the humor. ah well, I won't engage in any insane discussions about it. I did do some shopping at your links there and saw a book entitled Sasquatch My Ass, It's Fubar. Do you think I would like that book, knowing my sense of humor? or maybe I could get it for Huntster for Christmas? Do we get a discount?

But seriously,

What years did Ray Wallace live in Willow Creek? what year did the Bigfoot festival start? are there any records of which local folks organized it in the beginning? :D

Guest nycBig

You CAN'T be serious? That whole thing was about YOU? Really? :wacko:

gee and I thought it was my 'Are bigfoots dumb as a bag of hammers?' thread that shut it down.

roguefooter

Fair enough....Just one thing though. How are we leaving anything in the "past" by allowing this "blogger" to continue posting links to a cesspool that periodically addresses that "past"?

If you don't like his site then don't click on the links. Why is that so difficult?

Content on other sites should have no bearing on this forum and nobody is obligated to click on any link posted. That's common across the board on any internet forum.

I think it's more than obvious that a few of you guys are unwilling to let things go. Maybe it's a vengeful attitude or a lack of self-restraint, but either way it's only going to result in one thing and you probably won't like it.

masterbarber

And just because one chooses to ignore the obvious hypocrisy of claiming to leave things in the past and then continually linking to that past, doesn't mean everyone else will. There's no question that some have shown restraint here with regards to the drivel that's been spread.

efc.

Edited by masterbarber

roguefooter

And just because one chooses to ignore the obvious hypocrisy of claiming to leave things in the past and then continually linking to that past, doesn't mean everyone else will.

What hypocrisy? None of the blog entries that he linked to in this thread have anything to do with the problems that plagued this site. They're all blog entries related to the title of this thread. What past issues is he continuously linking to?

Unless you're just on a crusade to get his blog banned from this website then your argument isn't making a lot of sense.

Fair enough....Just one thing though. How are we leaving anything in the "past" by allowing this "blogger" to continue posting links to a cesspool that periodically addresses that "past"?

So long as the links Steve posts here go to pertinent info related to the topic of the thread then it is allowed.

Like it or not, there is some good info on his site. I know I enjoyed the links provided in this thread that were pertinent to *Exploring Bluff Creek Bigfoot History* before the *old* issues were brought into play by some folks here.

Links to the *old* issues are not permitted and will not be allowed. This situation has been taken up with BigfootBookman behind the scenes and he has agreed to not include links here in the future that drudge up the previous situation.

If he does so, they will be removed. He is aware of that and has agreed to not do so on his end.

For this forum to move forward, it is incumbent on all of us to put the past in the past.

Now, links within links I have no control over. I can't edit the content of Steve's blog that contains material related to the *old* issue. And, I can't stop members who follow his links here from perusing his site and finding them.

But, on the *new* forum I am mandated to put *old* issues aside on my end. I know you to be a man of honor masterbarber so I trust that you *get* that.

I'm also trusting that Steve will step up to the plate and take a similar stance as mine on the *new* forum, and that he is a man of honor as well.

Time, I suppose, will ultimately decide this. But, until proven otherwise, and in the spirit of the *new* forum, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I should also point out that this isn't the place to debate the intent of BigfootBookman and any future posts that do so, regardless of who they come from, will be removed by me.

Debate/challenge the content of the post as opposed to the person who made it and their intent.

Trust in me that I am watching this situation VERY closely and will act in a manner I deem appropriate as related to the overall situation.

xspider1

I've enjoyed reading the Al Hodgson interviews, Steve. Thank-you. I was wondering, did you move to Willow Creek just because of your interest in Bigfoot?

Guest nycBig

I found the interviews to be unreadable actually...could use some editing..just sayin

xspider1

NYC - When one transcribes an interview, it is often done verbatim. I.e., what is written and/or typed is what was actually said. When people talk, especially two or more people in a discussion; the transcript doesn't often read in concise, finished sentences like say, a prepared speech.

BigfootBookman

Parnassus,

If it was meant in the spirit of humor and fun, then OK. It seemed like a sarcastic jab to me. Anyway, no matter. Let's move on...

Steve,

I guess you didn't see the humor. ah well, I won't engage in any insane discussions about it. I did do some shopping at your links there and saw a book entitled Sasquatch My Ass, It's Fubar. Do you think I would like that book, knowing my sense of humor? or maybe I could get it for Huntster for Christmas? Do we get a discount?

But seriously, What years did Ray Wallace live in Willow Creek? what year did the Bigfoot festival start? are there any records of which local folks organized it in the beginning? :D

But anyway, GOOD QUESTIONS.

First, yes, the Sasquatch... FUBAR might be a good book for you. It is a series of goofy cartoons depicting amusing moments in one Sasquatch's life, often when encountering humans.

Discounts? Anyone from the BFF ordering directly from me would get a 10% discount on any used book item... but not to advertise, just to respond.

Re. the years Ray Wallace was here in Willow Creek: I am still trying to verify this. Many such as Al Hodgson have indicated to me that Wallace was not even here in 1967, when the Onion Mountain and Blue Creek Mountain trackways were found, and that he may not have even been present when the 1958 Jerry Crew prints were made. Of course, in the earlier case he was in charge of the contracting job up there. His brother "Shorty" was around, too, which might complicate issues. I will eventually publish on this issue when I get around to having the time. My diagonal (down the hill) neighbor is Jay Rowland, who worked up in Bluff Creek the same years as Wallace, actually living at Louse Camp in a trailer for much of the year. He may still agree to a formal interview. He seems hesitant about going public and having his name out there in any further way. His recollections of Ray Wallace and Shorty may come in handy--he actually did a few day jobs up there with Shorty (they worked for different companies). One thing Rowland confirms is that he himself found tracks up there when there were NO OTHERS in the area, in one particular instance it occurred when he was trapped up the creek on the wrong side of a snow slide blocking all entrance to and egress from the area--it really spooked him to find a trackway at that time, when he was not only alone, but temporarily trapped.

Re. Bigfoot Days--this was its 50TH ANNIVERSARY year, so we are talking 1960 as its first year. Just two years after the Humboldt Times article made Willow Creek famous for the Bigfoot.

Re. the organizing of the original event: I am going to interview the local woman whose father was the guy who first found footprint tracks in Bluff Creek before the Jerry Crew casts were publicized. She is working on a book covering the history of Bigfoot Days and in particular its former "Queens," or "Little Miss Bigfoots." That should be interesting. Again, I need more time, but it is on the agenda.

Best to all, again,

Steve, Bigfoot Books, Willow Creek

http://bigfootbooksblog.blogspot.com/

Edited by BigfootBookman

BigfootBookman

Thank you xspider and roguefooter for the support.

Doing that interview took immense time in transcription, and I did so verbatim, complete with the idiomatic style of the man himself. The interview had three main goals:

1) to explore the history of Bluff Creek Bigfoot and Willow Creek

2) to refute the so-called "Massacre Theory"

3) to get to explore the personality of Al Hodgson

Hence, to edit it would diminish it. One never knows what stray reference may later be of great value, especially as these older, first-generation Bigfooters will not be with us forever.

I've enjoyed reading the Al Hodgson interviews, Steve. Thank-you. I was wondering, did you move to Willow Creek just because of your interest in Bigfoot?

To respond to your question: No, I did not move to Willow Creek because of Bigfoot. I came to Humboldt in 1993, for graduate school at HSU. After graduating I continued to live here in Humboldt County; and with the newfound time I was able to find that my childhood interest in Bigfoot was still alive. I knew that Willow Creek had something to do with it all, but did not really know the details, and had no idea even exactly where Bluff Creek is. I moved to Willow Creek in 2001, as we had a child on the way and wanted to have it grow up in a nice, safe place full of natural beauty. Also, houses were very affordable at that time, up here. Once I got here Bigfoot began to take over my life, slowly but surely. I found out where Bluff Creek is and went up there. I met Al Hodgson. I became obsessed with the local history aspect of the Bigfoot phenomenon. I attended the 2003 International Bigfoot Symposium here, as well as the 2007 PGF 40th Anniversary Celebration. It was really opening my shop in 2005 that got me hooked in, as then I began to find myself in a role similar to that formerly played by Al Hodgson: the local "Bigfoot Go-To Guy." I began to get a large number of current and historical sighting reports. I met the folks involved in Bigfooting as they passed through on their way to the "Bigfoot Mecca." Before that I was just one guy reading a lot of books on the subject. In the years since 2007, after getting to know guys like Bobo, Cliff Barackman and Tom Yamarone, as well as starting to blog about what I was finding and learning, I suddenly seem to know everyone. It's strange, but that is how Bigfoot hooked me and put me in his human museum.

Best,

BigfootBookman

BACK FROM BLUFF CREEK!

This was our fourth trip up there this year.

My summary, for now:

We traced the old Jeep road up the creek, finding remaining signs of it there even today. We were aided in this by some recollections recently given to me by Jim McClarin. We also think we have located the P-G base camp site and the proper film site/trackway location.

We were aided in our search by personal communications with John Green, Peter Byrne, Jim McClarin, Cliff Barackman, Daniel Perez, Christopher Murphy and of course James "Bobo" Fay and my neighbor, Al Hodgson. Film work was done by Ranger Robert Leiterman. Along for the first day was long-time researcher Richard "Rip" Lyttle. My research associate, "C.I." and I were the principal "characters" in this filming and research project.

It is difficult to definitively identify the PGF site as it is today, so drastically overgrown as it is now, with somewhat altered creekbed topography.

Well, we ruled out the MK Davis, Peter Byrne and Christopher Murphy film site locations, and clarified where it really is. I truly believe, all based on one "aerial" photo Rene D fortunately thought to take in 1972, that the case is now in the bag. I think Cliff Barackman's location is just slightly off. We climbed down the hill from above and I think very clearly found from that angle the properly rounded front of the sandbar, conforming perfectly to Dahinden's photo. Tall trees in back led us further. Moving back we found a cluster of big trees and an old stump buried by a big fern that match the film and known measurements pretty darn well exactly. The images will have to be manipulated in Photoshop to get the right comparative perspective (impossible now due to vegetation growth) to the old film site photos. The "big tree" seems still to be there. One large fir in that area seems to have fallen onto the sandbar. It has an alder growing out of its top, so now we need a tree ring sample to know its age. I feel no lingering doubt that we now know the exact location. Now all we need to do is measure the trackway in there for exactitude.

A full report and YouTube videos (to be posted on BFRO-Videos' account) will follow on my blog soon.

That last day hiking down the hill from above really reeled it in, for me. Seeing the aerial view leaves me little doubt, and it is just to the west of Rene's "X", with the trackway passing the "X" in the last part of the film. So, it coheres.

post-37-062204600 1286834182_thumb.jpg

All for now...

Best to all, again,