What's In Your Pack ?

Guest keninsc

Anyone have a good technique on how to fold up a backpacking tent as small as possible? I got a 7x7 tent today and I can't fold it small enough to keep from taking up a lot of space in my bag.

I usually carry a large tarp and I only carry it if i think I'll be doing an over nighter or it might rain.

As far as your tent goes, look for a "compression sack" They're easy enough to find on the web and they make stowing something like that a great deal easier and they usually come with MOLLIE attachments which will make securing it to your pack a lot easier.

Guest zenmonkey

Thanks for the replies. I ended up just folding it up as tight as possible and cramming it in my bag. A compression sack will be next though

• 3 months later...

Zen,

You might want to try a military issue ponco as a tent as well as for rain gear. I used one for over 30 years of camping. Spring , summer, fall, and winter. Just recently purchased a one man snake proof tent since I have been researching on different water ways with my kayak. Lots of snakes !!! Make sure it is military issue, they are worth there weight in gold.

Guest zenmonkey

Thanks! ok so I've got a ton of new gear since april keep in mind I am also an avid hiker as well.

Osprey Ather 70L

Osprey water bladder

Nalgene battle

Sawyer mini filer- this thing is amazing recommend it to everyone

Grand trunk double hammock

eno bug net in the summer

walmart sleeping bag- gets the job done

grand trunk pack pillow

msr pocket rocket and fuel

small cook set pot cup to boil water small bowl and fork and knife

usually a few mountain house meals maybe a few cliff bars depending on what I'm doing

paracord mainly for my bug net

osprey rain cover for my pack

few small items of clothing depending on what time of year 

night vision

binoculers

lighter/fire starter

buck knife

head light and a redline flashlight and a bandanna 

iPhone 5 s

batteries, 

toothbrush toothpaste some BC powder that sorta stuff.

sure i forgot a few things ill remember as soon as i post this I'm sure.

Zen

• 2 years later...

Just to bump this up and to remind new footers, be prepared.  If you are not experienced in the woods, or with first aid and survival skills, look for a class.  I recently had to assist an injured hiker (badly broken arm) and was able to do so because I had a well-equipped pack.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a limit to what I'm going to carry.  Too much, and my backpacking destination is going to be limited. Too little and I compromise my health or safety.  It helps to have items that serve several purposes and to carry things that are as light as possible.  If I can save 3oz here and 4oz there, I will have the space and weight load to bring all of the critical items that I need, and then some.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Water.

If I was serious and out for a full day 24 hours and very remote, water canteen, rain poncho, sweatshirt, hi calorie food, a knife, lighter, a metal cup, a compass and map.

Anything over 30 pounds is too much, water will be a good part of that.

A camera if I see something of interest.

Experimental, an etrex to see if they work better than a compass for finding my backtrail.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

I live in an area that is wet most of the time, and thus always has streams, so water is never a problem.  A 2oz Sawyer Mini has solved my water issues. It fits in the palm of my hand and provides me with as much safe and clean water as I need.

I have an eTrex 30 but use it only as a backup to map and compass. I'd always depend on shooting a back azimuth before I'd go to the eTrex 30. My compass' battery never has to be changed.  I don't think people practice enough with map and compass and rely more and more on technology. Bad idea that will catch up with you at some point and probably when you least can afford it.  I lead various hikes and almost no one who signs up for them has any idea how to use a map and compass. It is stunning to me.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

wiiawiwb the reason you carry water is not because there isn't a lot of water around but that a lot of that water can make you very sick.

If it's not fast moving with a rocky bottom I would not trust it, lots of micro-organisms.

I have had a problem with getting a satellite fix on gps devices on steep terrain and under tree cover. 

So I agree about the map and compass and the need for that.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

You are absolutely correct about tainted water. I only carry a 16 oz bottle when I backpack, even for a number of days, because I use my Sawyer Mini filter which eliminates any issues with the water around me. I no longer have to backpack in large amounts of water. 16oz is the most for me.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/sawyer.jpg