Proposed Methodology and Instrument packages for the Galileo Project

Explorer

I read the 38 page paper and it was a good summary of the past and a good proposal for the future.

https://www.worldscientific.com/doi/10.1142/S2251171723400068

I hope that they can get this project off the ground and implemented as described in the paper.

Of interest was the selection of field instruments proposed and why.

Interesting that they are proposing to use the Infiltec INFRA20 for infrasound detection.  We discussed this instrument in previous posts.

For magnetometers, I have the same concerns that they disclose about multiple possible sources (natural and manmade) for sudden detected changes in magnetic field.   Need to establish a clear baseline of what is considered normal deviations.

See extract below:

"The choice of the GP magnetometers is guided by the goal of reliably recording magnetic field perturbations that are associated with known and unknown sources at the instrument site. This is not trivial considering that the magnetometers will be collecting measurements in the field, throughout the year, at locations that will be magnetically noisy, and in the presence of geomagnetic field variations.

Examples of known physical sources include: the ionospheric solar quiet currents, which are re[1]sponsible for the diurnal variation of the geomagnetic field in the order of tens of nT; the magnetospheric ring current during geomagnetically quiet times, which generates a signal of few nT up to few tens of nT; and geomagnetic storms, which can create perturbations of several hundreds of nT. Expected magnetic perturbations from human-made sources include signals from power lines (on the order of few nT to few tens of nT within 50 m distance, Garrido et al. (2003)), electric railways (on the order of 10 nT at few kilometers distance; Ding et al. (2021); Jankowski & Sucksdorff (1996)), airliners (of order a few nT at 100 m distance) and motor vehicles like cars and trucks (of order a few nT within hundreds of meters) (Lenz & Edelstein, 2006; Chulliat et al., 2009)."

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Explorer said:

I read the 38 page paper and it was a good summary of the past and a good proposal for the future.

https://www.worldscientific.com/doi/10.1142/S2251171723400068

I hope that they can get this project off the ground and implemented as described in the paper.

Of interest was the selection of field instruments proposed and why.

Interesting that they are proposing to use the Infiltec INFRA20 for infrasound detection.  We discussed this instrument in previous posts.

For magnetometers, I have the same concerns that they disclose about multiple possible sources (natural and manmade) for sudden detected changes in magnetic field.   Need to establish a clear baseline of what is considered normal deviations.

See extract below:

"The choice of the GP magnetometers is guided by the goal of reliably recording magnetic field perturbations that are associated with known and unknown sources at the instrument site. This is not trivial considering that the magnetometers will be collecting measurements in the field, throughout the year, at locations that will be magnetically noisy, and in the presence of geomagnetic field variations.

Examples of known physical sources include: the ionospheric solar quiet currents, which are re[1]sponsible for the diurnal variation of the geomagnetic field in the order of tens of nT; the magnetospheric ring current during geomagnetically quiet times, which generates a signal of few nT up to few tens of nT; and geomagnetic storms, which can create perturbations of several hundreds of nT. Expected magnetic perturbations from human-made sources include signals from power lines (on the order of few nT to few tens of nT within 50 m distance, Garrido et al. (2003)), electric railways (on the order of 10 nT at few kilometers distance; Ding et al. (2021); Jankowski & Sucksdorff (1996)), airliners (of order a few nT at 100 m distance) and motor vehicles like cars and trucks (of order a few nT within hundreds of meters) (Lenz & Edelstein, 2006; Chulliat et al., 2009)."

Tagged to read later.  I haven’t read the full report yet.

Interesting to see that they are using the Infiltec.