Enoch

Guest Primate

Guest Primate

I just read this one . (Loren Colemans remarks kept me away untill now.) I found parts of it believable . Although the change in narrative style and observational perspective had me wondering about the" Bigfoot Convention" and the Burial Scene .(As well as the nature of the claims being made) I personally don't have much trouble with the idea of befriending the creatures leading to an indifference or animosity about proving their existance. And I think this raises many interesting points for those of us interested in Sasquatch..What are people's current thoughts on the book and the issues it raises? Is it just a good story ? I am aware that someone claiming to be Mike was on this forum for awhile..

BFF Patron

How about merging this with one of the three existing topics, it'll save us some verbiage and provide some instant answers, thanks mods. :)

Admin

Is it just a good story ?

That's the problem IMO, it's not even a good story. Completely implausible.

Get you a drink or a stout cup of coffee, settle down, dig up the old thread and give it a good read......then tell us what you think about it.

BFF Patron

How about merging this with one of the three existing topics, it'll save us some verbiage and provide some instant answers, thanks mods. :)

Never mind! :)

I'm pretty sure 'Mike' was used as a scapegoat so that Autumn Williams could pass off her story as an anecdotal account, based on actual events, instead of making it a fictional account, which I don't have a problem with anyways. She's a good storyteller, IMO, and very creative. Her moms book, Valley of the Skookum, seems to fall into that same sort of dynamic. To pull 'Enoch' out of ancient biblical accounts, and somewhat attribue the interpretation of who he was, to a Sasquatch, is pretty clever. I'd imagine there is no actual 'Mike' though. If there was, she failed epically in her research, and methods of obtaining the facts. To just go off of phone calls, without ever meeting with him, and just believing the story and running with it seems a little unbelievable to me. Whatever the case may be, I enjoyed the story, for what it's worth.

Guest CannibalYeti

I enjoyed the story as well but was also suspicious of the change in the style of language and story telling. I had to bail at the end though, I couldn't get through the endless defense of not needing verification etc. And I hate when witnesses talk about not wanting to share pics because of respect for the creatures. If that's the case, keep the story to yourself to protect them.

SSR Team

That's the problem IMO, it's not even a good story. Completely implausible.

Yeah Primate, it's completely implausible if you're not aware that Sasquatches exist..

If you are aware however, then it's plausible, very interesting and an incredible Book that does make you wonder what actually may be possible.

It also highlights many of the problems with the psychological side of things where BF research is concerned, which are well documented by the Author.

Edit : Or alternatively of course it could all be a load of balony in which case my goodness, the Author has an imagination which could be used as a weapon of mass destruction. It would still however make you wonder what could be possible.. ;)

Edited by BobbyO

This is what was said on another forum:

"The fellow who told Autumn Williams (by phone) the stories that she eventually published in a book titled "Enoch," is actually a yarn-spinning homeless person in central Florida who our investigators had encountered in 2006 in Polk County, FL.

Among other things, Mike claimed to have been a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. He had some very lucid, detailed stories about his experiences as a chopper pilot in Vietnam, but when asked about some basic things that any helicopter would know about (such as thermal up-drafts) Mike had no idea what our guys were talking about. He had apparently watched a bunch of Vietnam movies and was accustomed to telling his tales to people who weren't smart enough to figure out that he was lying .... eh hem ...

When our guys visited him at his hobo camp near the highway in Polk County in 2006, they looked around in the area and they actually saw him remove some food from a bait station they had set up, and then he claimed the bigfoot had come by and taken the food.

Homeless Mike is lying bum with a penchant for hustling women who he can sponge off. He's also got an arrest record in more than one state and is almost certainly a parole violator as well."

SSR Team

This is what was said on another forum:

"The fellow who told Autumn Williams (by phone) the stories that she eventually published in a book titled "Enoch," is actually a yarn-spinning homeless person in central Florida who our investigators had encountered in 2006 in Polk County, FL.

Among other things, Mike claimed to have been a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. He had some very lucid, detailed stories about his experiences as a chopper pilot in Vietnam, but when asked about some basic things that any helicopter would know about (such as thermal up-drafts) Mike had no idea what our guys were talking about. He had apparently watched a bunch of Vietnam movies and was accustomed to telling his tales to people who weren't smart enough to figure out that he was lying .... eh hem ...

When our guys visited him at his hobo camp near the highway in Polk County in 2006, they looked around in the area and they actually saw him remove some food from a bait station they had set up, and then he claimed the bigfoot had come by and taken the food.

Homeless Mike is lying bum with a penchant for hustling women who he can sponge off. He's also got an arrest record in more than one state and is almost certainly a parole violator as well."

It was a different " Mike " & what you're quoting was written by a Mr Moneymaker, you probably should have pointed that out at least..

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php?/topic/4611-bfro-questions-enoch/

I have never heard anything about another "Mike". As for not mentioning Moneymaker's name, We all know the reputation he has on here. I figured it best not to mention his name, or the BFRO. I trust no one has a problem with anyone "erring on the side of caution", do they?

SSR Team

I have never heard anything about another "Mike".

Just look on the link i Posted, it's as clear as day.. :)

I've written about this on my blog before, but it bears repeating here. I had a phone conversation with a man who was convinced that he was frequently visited by invisible fairies. The man was lucid and coherent and otherwise completely sane. His description of the fairies and his interaction with them was very vivid and detailed.

His story fell apart when he mentioned that he possessed a photo of one of the fairies. He called it proof. When I pressed him on it, he became agitated. I simply asked him to email me a low res image of the fairy. He basically thought I was an idiot for making the request. Why? Because you can’t see the fairy in the picture. It is invisible after all. Only he can see it.

I see this sort of logic play itself out in the BF community. One man in particular posts video after video and photo after photo claiming they reveal dozens of BF. He outlines shadows and dirt and stumps and points out facial features, etc. When you tell him, you can’t see anything his response is usually “That’s because you don’t know what to look for.â€

While I can’t say with certainty that’s what’s going on with the Mike in Enoch, I have to believe it is at least a possibility. I think that some people are so desperate for a deeper connection with the world around them their minds give it to them in the form of hallucinations. Whether it’s invisible fairies or BF, it’s very real to them.

Don’t think I apply this belief to all eyewitness accounts. A number people are seeing an actual living being and in some instances collecting physical evidence in the form of footprints, hairs, etc.

its ok, we know who you meant Chris :)

The original 'Mike' was a cumudgenly old b....r, with issues.

He could be nice on occasion, but couln't stick normal discourse with folks for too long.

As for the book, i thought it was very well written.

I had a dedication written in the inside cover by AW.

Just wish i could be sure the events recalled by Autumn were true and that the front cover was a bit thicker.

Once I saw Swamp Bandit go off the deep end in the other Enoch thread, it killed any kind of interest I might have had in the story. If you have any doubts about the tale, read that old thread for yourself and make up your own mind. That's not to say fragile people can't have genuine experiences but it does make it harder to separate fact from fantasy.