Correlations Between Seasons And Sighting Elevations?

Admin

I just found errors in the timestamp of the dataset, F^#&!, nothing is easy...

Anyone ever heard of CASR? their records are causing the problem, I'm tempted to just toss them.

Edited by gigantor

I wish I could help, but the only time I ever used Excel was to track inventory, and sales for some Seahawks promo stuff that we did, but the misses did the lions share of it:) I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product though! My first encounter was at about 1200 feet, and second was 1500, but there were elevation gains of 1000 feet within a couple of miles that they more than likely came from, and both encounters were within about a mile, or so, as the crow flies, and both within a stones throw from a waterway. I wonder how tough it would be to compile data of nearby creeks, or rivers. Tedious would probably be an understatement.

SSR Team

I wonder how tough it would be to compile data of nearby creeks, or rivers. Tedious would probably be an understatement.

But definitely possible, i have a Google Earth Overlay on Rivers, Streams & Creeks of WA, i don't use it that much but i do have it..

Cleaned it up, only data with elevation, deleted maybe 60 records... 1,882.46 ft.

What's that 1,882 from G ??

Just Class A's & from any specific area or........... ??

That would be awesome to start adding layers upon layers of other info surrounding all of these encounters, aside from just the gist of the encounters themselves. If we could start adding the other elements of the terrain, and common threads between the sightings, we could start possibly seeing patterns on travel habits, or routes in/out of the areas, and possibly where the points of origin could be based on commonalities between all of the areas where they are sighted.

Admin

What's that 1,882 from G ??

Just Class A's & from any specific area or........... ??

Unfortunately, Mangini's data file does not distinguish between class. I think it's everything but I haven't checked yet. I'm just playing with it, it needs to be "optimized". :lol: Here are some plots sorted in descending order.

post-338-062646500 1320819174_thumb.jpg

post-338-020820300 1320819211_thumb.jpg

The dataset has a bunch of records with mangled dates from a research group called CASR, anyone heard of them? It's keeping me from plotting against time.

Edited by gigantor

Admin

I don't want to do all the work, so here is the spreadsheet, go at it and do share your results. Never say skeptics contribute nothing!

This is a tab delimited text file.

bf-mangini-with-elevation.txt

Edited by gigantor

SSR Team

I don't want to do all the work, so here is the spreadsheet, go at it and do share your results. Never say skeptics contribute nothing!

This is a tab delimited text file.

bf-mangini-with-elevation.txt

Cool G, you da Man.. :thumbsup:

Thank you

In fact, i found this with regards to Mangani's work, this is an actual BFRO Sightings list & the same is availbale for all the other databases but no sign of any elevations however, ****..

http://www.penn.freeservers.com/bigfootmaps/bfrocreature.txt

I'm going back to re do my WA Wilderness sheet & add elevations to the Reports that are listed so far ( 80 plus ), i think they're important, i have the Seasons ( Month ) added to it anyway so it will make sense for me to go back & add the elevations.. :thumbsup:

Admin

Do you think this report is significant?

There's a bunch like that with bad dates. I say we toss them...

Those are tough ones due to the fact that they are recorded from way back when, and attention to detail didn't seem important. But, at the same time, they've been around for over a hundred years...Allegedly.

In regards to elevation, is it just a guess based on the elevation of the respective town, or area of the sighting? Just curious because the town where my stuff happened sits at 1053 ft, but has areas that are close to 4,000ft.

Admin

I hear you, but without a valid date, we can't use them for calculating seasonal / elevation changes.

Unless you want to start making stuff up... right? There's a bunch with only the year, no month, no day.

In regards to elevation, is it just a guess based on the elevation of the respective town, or area of the sighting? Just curious because the town where my stuff happened sits at 1053 ft, but has areas that are close to 4,000ft.

The elevation comes from NASA, the Space Shuttle had a ground radar that mapped the globe for elevation. What I did was run a program that takes the coordinates from Mangini's data and looks up the corresponding elevation.

The accuracy is within 30 meters horizontally of the GPS coordinates.

Admin

I found the date field to be "dirty", so I cleaned it up in order to make it usable. Apparently someone includes comments on the date field! For reference, here is what I did:

1) Removed all records without a reference to a sighting

2) Removed all comments from the date field

3) There were many records with dates formatted like: 1972-??-?? and 197?-??-??. I removed all of those.

4) There were many records with dates formatted like: 1977-10-??. I replaced "??" with "01" to make it a valid date.

5) There were many records with dates formatted like: 1978-11-win and 1978-06-sum. I replaced the season with "01"

In all, about 1200 record had to be removed to make the dataset usable.

bf-clean.txt

bf-bad-date.txt

BFF Patron

How many total in the useable dataset now minus the 1200?

Admin

6230, but that includes everything. I'm thinking of starting a project to load the data onto a web database and then have volunteers implement the new classification system proposed on that thread.

They would have to review each sighting, if we get 10 volunteers... it shouldn't take that long, a couple of months maybe. Then we could just maintain it with the new sightings.

Edited by gigantor

BFF Patron

Excellent idea. If you refine it good enough maybe John Green would let you import his stuff too. Might be worth an email to him but I don't think he has gps coordinates on his stuff, as some of it was pretty old.

http://www.sasquatchdatabase.com/