Correlations Between Seasons And Sighting Elevations?

Admin

Here you go PacNWSquatcher. There are soo many data points that if I plot all of them, the chart is illegible.

Here is a three year plot 2005-2008. I kinda see a pattern!

post-338-020706600 1320891411_thumb.jpg

Two years 2005-2007

post-338-000783400 1320892817_thumb.jpg

Edited by gigantor

Admin

Thanks. The whole dataset looks like this... not very useful.

post-338-076959500 1320893636_thumb.jpg

Admin

Here are one year plots 2006-2010. I didn't cut and paste precisely, so they're not lined up perfectly, but good enough for gomint work... :)

post-338-029003000 1320899138_thumb.jpg

Edited by gigantor

It looks like a majority of sightings come from less than 2,000 feet. I'd imagine there are far greater amounts of people that spend time in the sea-level to 2,000 foot range, which would lead to more sightings, but it's still pretty surprising to me. A lot of mythology, which I always take with a grain of salt, says they spend time/live in valleys. If that's true, it would seem that they would actually be overlapping their habitat with ours, or at least be out on the fringe, as opposed to deep into the desolate wilderness areas, far away from all human activity.

SSR Team

Ok i got a little something, from my WA Wilderness Project..

I do have more data but i have to go back & re list the Elevations on around 60 more Sightings but, as per alphabetical order :

Alpine Lake Wilderness has 23 BFRO Reports either in it or within 5 Miles of it..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_Lakes_Wilderness

Of those, 61% are within the Summer Months of June, July or August, 4% are within the Winter Months of December, January & February, 22% are within the Fall Months of September, October & November and 13% are within the Spring Months of March, April & May.

Summer's average Elevation is : 2,720ft

Fall's average Elevation is : 1,859ft

Winter's average Elevation is : 986ft

Spring's average Elevation is : 2,533ft

That's exactly the order i expected the averages to be in personally & i imagine i won't be alone..;)

I'm doing the Wilderness areas in alphabetical order & it is going to take me a while as there is seemingly an incredible amount of WA State BFRO Reports in or within 5 Miles of a Wilderness area.. :thumbsup:

Admin

I'm sure the East coast data is skewing the results a bit. I'll run the same plots and averages for the PNW later and see how it looks. Still, you can see a trend in the graphs.

This is where a statistician would be helpful.

SSR Team

I'm sure the East coast data is skewing the results a bit. I'll run the same plots and averages for the PNW later and see how it looks. Still, you can see a trend in the graphs.

This is where a statistician would be helpful.

Certainly where Elevations are concerned i would have thought, that's why i decided to start on WA >> OR >> ID >> MT >> CA etc..

Admin

Forgot to add, good work BobbyO.

It's nice when you can get confirmation of your beliefs. :)

Edited by gigantor

BFF Patron

Ok i got a little something, from my WA Wilderness Project..

Of those, 61% are within the Summer Months of June, July or August, 4% are within the Winter Months of December, January & February, 22% are within the Fall Months of September, October & November and 13% are within the Spring Months of March, April & May.

Summer's average Elevation is : 2,720ft

Fall's average Elevation is : 1,859ft

Winter's average Elevation is : 986ft

Spring's average Elevation is : 2,533ft

That's exactly the order i expected the averages to be in personally & i imagine i won't be alone..;)

I'm doing the Wilderness areas in alphabetical order & it is going to take me a while as there is seemingly an incredible amount of WA State BFRO Reports in or within 5 Miles of a Wilderness area.. :thumbsup:

I know where I'm heading next summer. Hot stuff BobbyO. Now why the outlier of Spring being so much higher (there must be something very special going on in spring at those elevations....special food, special plant, special root, special species birthing pattern, etc. etc.) than winter in that area on average and fall being relatively lower.

I would have expected the spring number to be closer to 2,000 than 2.500 myself but not knowing the layout in that area that is just a guess on my part.

SSR Team

I would have expected the spring number to be closer to 2,000 than 2.500 myself but not knowing the layout in that area that is just a guess on my part.

Well we're only talking about 3 Reports B, that's why..

One of them was at a whopping 4,023ft elevation & the other 2 were at 1,982ft & 1,596ft respectively.

The real interesting stuff will be when i do all of the WA Reports that are within or within 5 Miles of a Wilderness area, sort out their elevations & seasons THEN start crunching the numbers...;)

For you WA Guys too, just to let you know i think i'm gonna not do the Colonel Bob & Buckhorn individulally for example & instead have them all under the Olympic Wilderness roof, it should save me quite a bit of time plus we'd be able to get a better view of things if we have them under the one roof & are looking at more figures to get maybe more detailed averages from..;)

SSR Team

Boulder River Wilderness..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulder_River_Wilderness

A total of 10 BFRO Reports.

20% in Winter, 30 % in Spring, 40% in Fall, 10% in Summer.

Average Elevation of Winter Reports = 1,742ft

Average Elevation of Spring Reports = 2,486ft

Average Elevation of Fall Reports = 724ft

Average Elevation of Summer Reports = 250ft

:D

I'm going to stop giving the independent Wilderness areas now ( unless anyone wants anything specific, just ask ) as it will get confusing plus we need to look at, i believe anyway, the whole package & see what we can see from that..

I will however give the Olympic details separately as it quite simply deserves it based on size & activity...

Admin

It would be good if we have a summary of all these results, so that they're all in one place. In spreadsheet form...

Edited by gigantor

BFF Patron

Yeah the sample sizes of ten or less will have skewed means and even a statistic like the mode would be more applicable for some of these datasets.

Might be a good idea to backup the data on multiple computers/servers too. Mangani found that a lot of the datasets from defunct BF org websites, like the IBS, could not be retrieved from the Wayback Machine and were fairly well lost to history.

No pressure though :P

Admin

post-338-052383500 1320956034_thumb.jpg

A couple of observations:

1) The PGF was very influential, BF is everywhere after it came out.

2) Interesting to see how there are higher altitude sightings later in the century.

Edited by gigantor