Correlations Between Seasons And Sighting Elevations?

Bobby...I have an elk survey from a couple of years back. It's only the winter survey from the Packwood/Randle Valley. I can e-mail it to you,if you'd like. I'm going to make some phone calls in the am to see if I can round up the complete data.

SSR Team

Bobby...I have an elk survey from a couple of years back. It's only the winter survey from the Packwood/Randle Valley. I can e-mail it to you,if you'd like. I'm going to make some phone calls in the am to see if I can round up the complete data.

You da Man Pac, i'll message you my email address.. :thumbsup:

SSR Team

Ok i'm done with my WA Wilderness Project, this is a Project to find a correlation between Sightings & Wilderness areas, all Sightings i logged were either within a Wilderness area or within 5 Miles of its border.

I also added Seasons & Elevations were recorded also.

Here's some of the numbers & apologies in advance for the mess but i'm afraid that's just how i've done it, i won't be Posting the Document/Spreadsheet publically at this stage as i want to do more work on it.

Thanks to Oregon Man too who if he didn't share that Wildernes Site it would have been much more difficult for me to do & i probably wouldn't have got the idea anyway.

Here's some fun numbers anyway & the only Sightings Database i have used is the BFRO..

WA State Wilderness areas make up 9.59% of WA State

BF Reports in or within 5 Miles of a Wilderness area make up 38% of all of the WA State BF Reports.

40% of Reports are from the Summer Months of June, July & August

38% of Reports are from the Fall Months of September, October & November

16% of Reports are from the Spring Months of March, April & May

6% of Reports are from the Winter Months of December, January & February

The average elevation for a Summer Report is 2,293ft

The average elevation for a Fall Report is 2,217ft

The average elevation for a Spring Report is 2,166ft

The average elevation for a Winter Report is 1,178ft

100% of Wilderness areas with over 20 Reports in them ( The Olympics & the Wilderness areas within it, the Mount Rainier Wilderness areas, North Cascades Wilderness areas & the Mount Adams, Indian Heaven & Trapper Creek Corridor and Alpine Lakes ) showed that Summers had the highest elevations & Winters had the lowest elevations.

The highest elevation Report was at 7,600ft in October, about 2 Miles outside the most Eastern Boundary of the Pasayten Wilderness on Chopaka Mountain.

The lowest elevation Report was at the mouth of the Queets River in June on the Olympic Peninsula, a Mile outside the Southern Boundary of the Washington Islands Wilderness.

Edit : To amend a Season.. ;)

Edited by BobbyO

BFF Patron

Nice work, and works out to about what I'd expect elevation wise.

SSR Team

Assume the bolded is supposed to be winter?

Nice work, and works out to about what I'd expect elevation wise.

I know DP has done some stuff on this in either of the two Books, i'll have a look tomorrow & see what California is saying in regards to these numbers.. ;)

Guest TooRisky

I hope there was no animosity taken from my post, I truly did not know if the shear immensity of the project was realized and the factors I mentioned were taken in consideration... With that said, well done all and keep driving forth, I have already gotten good info about elevation that was really needed to know especially in the snow months where it is impossible to get higher with our gear...

Keep up the good hard work and if I can help lemme know...

Admin

Not at all TR, at least, not by me.

SSR Team

Of course not by me neither..

& also Risky, at least now i can break down a little further & be more specific, i can give info on the Wilderness areas that make up what i've labelled as the Mount Rainier Wilderness which consists of Glacier View, William O Douglas, Norse Peak, Clearwater & Tatoosh also, for example.

I think that's cool & gives us a base to use initially.. :thumbsup:

I love the Tatoosh! My bro was up in the chopper recently over the Tatoosh, and they saw an unbelievable amount of big bulls, Mt Goats, and a few bears. There is a Wolverine family that lives around Tatoosh Lake too. Do you have any sighting reports in that area? Seems to me like a prime Squatching area.

SSR Team

You've got these Pac, this first one was under a Mile from the Lakes..

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=7038

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=12655

These one below is just before the 123 Intersection on the 12 if you're heading North, from Packwood & are within a quarter mile of each other.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=23033

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=3202

I'm still hungry for the Elk stuff Pac too.. ;)

Oh & i should say, there's a Book i think you'd really like, it's called " Where Bigfoot Walks " by a Fella called Michael or Robert Pyle..

It's not all about BF although he talks about the subject quite a lot but it's a great Book & beign a WA Boy i bet you'd love it, the Guy does all of the Dark Divide & Tatoosh on a 2 Month or so hike & ends up finding a Print..

He's naturalist too & it's a great Book.. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...
Guest BFSleuth

BFRO report 5299 data needs amendment. Date should be July 1966, not Spring 1963. Elevation : 5130'.

My brother made the report, but got the date wrong. I remember the hike clearly and the date because it was my first chance to do the church boys hike because of the minimum age requirement. However, I didn't see anything, only heard the commotion.

I remember very lush meadows of wildflowers near Royal Lake, where we camped.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=5299

• 3 months later...
Admin

I love the Tatoosh! My bro was up in the chopper recently over the Tatoosh, and they saw an unbelievable amount of big bulls, Mt Goats, and a few bears. There is a Wolverine family that lives around Tatoosh Lake too. Do you have any sighting reports in that area? Seems to me like a prime Squatching area.

The SSR Database has 64 sightings within 30 miles of the Packwood Airport in Tatoosh. 15 sightings within 20 miles.... below are some stats, charts and a Google Earth layer of the sightings produced by the database:

post-338-0-24371500-1340237899_thumb.jpg

post-338-0-35903000-1340237916_thumb.jpg

tatoosh-20mi-SSR-GEL.kml

You guys should join the premium section and get access to the SSR database.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
SSR Team

I'm under the impression that a certain someone possibly had some action in/near Goat Rocks Wilderness/Packwood this past weekend, and nearly got taken out with a Squatch Fastball Rock..;)

BFF Patron

Huh?

SSR Team

Just like i said, i'm under the impression someone who has been posting in this thread had a Rock ( or two ) tossed at him this past weekend in the Goat Rocks Wilderness.

Up to him of course though if he wants to elaborate on it, not down to me.