Correlations Between Seasons And Sighting Elevations?

It's still pretty snowy in the Goat Rocks right now. Packwood Lake perhaps?

The chart is really interesting Gigantor...thanks! Most of the months with sightings are the months with the most tourists. The one I find really interesting is September. By then the summer crowds are gone and I don't think hunting season is in full swing yet. Maybe mushroom hunters? Or just the best time for an encounter?

SSR Team

Packwood Lake is bang on the money..;)

Guest BFSleuth

Follow the vegetation. With extra snow cover I think sightings will be lower than 4500' currently in the PNW. With rapid snow melt predicted this coming month, there will be fresh growth in higher meadows, ponds, and lakes through July and August. Elk and deer herds will also be following fresh new growth.

I anxiously await the snow melt every year for hiking...been a few late ones the past few years (not sure how this year will fare yet).

You guys seem well versed in the area...Have you ever read Martha Hardy's "Tatoosh"? The "Brush Ape" chapter is very interesting! Wish she was still around to be asked about what she saw.

Also, I don't recall any reports of sightings within the MRNP. It's a very busy park. Any ideas on that one?

SSR Team

Never read that maddog, i've got this below though by Robert Pyle, great book that is more about the area of the Tatoosh and Drak Divide etc than it is BF..

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0395857015

With regards to MRNP, i've done lots and lots on that area, i'm actually doing a oretty big project and trying to finish it, on BF Sightings within or within 5 miles of designated Wilderness areas of WA State so i've got lots on areas i think you'd be interested in.

Here's some stuff on MRNP.

Another good Season >> Elevation idea within the Mount Rainier Wilderness areas which include the Clearwater, Goat Rocks, Norse Peak, Tatoosh, Glacier View and the William O Douglas Wilderness areas.

There are a total of 41 Reports i the BFRO database.

Fall makes up 54% of these Reports

Summer makes up 32% of these Reports

Spring makes up 12% of these Reports

Winter makes up 2% of these Reports

Winter's average elevation is 1,600ft

Spring's average elevation is 2,112ft

Fall's average elevation is 3,286ft

Summer's average elevation is 3,485ft

post-136-0-91573500-1341590160_thumb.png post-136-0-02633300-1341589743_thumb.png

post-136-0-67232400-1341589767_thumb.png post-136-0-42707300-1341589791_thumb.png

You should go back to the beginning of this thread maddog, there's tonnes of top info on this thread, and it's not widely known but this is the best thread on the forum currently, just don't tell anyone.. ;)

Edited by BobbyO

The data will tell you that will get more sightings in the day, in the spring and fall, and in good weather. That is when more people are in the woods. People do not go on hikes at night, in extreme heat or cold, or in the rain.

Admin

John, the chart above shows more sightings in the summer than the spring. This is why it's a good idea to look at the data on a local level, preconceived notions are sometimes incorrect. :)

Edited by gigantor
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Right gig. my five year anniversary of a sighting was yesterday. The elevation of the sighting being very close to the average elevation of all sightings on Mt. Rainier that BobbyO graphed above oddly enough. Some research has been done to show about 2000-3000 ft. is probably a good place to have a sighting in the summer (outside of the Rockies anyway) (don't ask me to find the old stuff on that though..... could it have been NASI?). Prob. closer to 3000 than 2000.

SSR Team

Thing is though, the geography of various States in the US can be so different, elevation i believe should be localised like G said and taken into the context of each different State and the different geography of it.

IE Colorado or New Mexico >> Florida for example, there'd be little to no point looking at elevation patterns for them.

BFF Patron

Not really, maybe each region but certainly not each state I wouldn't think.

Edited by bipedalist

SSR Team

Ok but that's just being pedantic, you know what i mean B i'm sure, but let's say regions over states then, for arguments sake..;;)

BFF Patron

Still doesn't negate the research showing the magic 2000-3000 ft. levels for the average sighting. Wish I could find that link now. I'm pretty sure it was for the PNW.

Admin

If there's no linky, it doesn't exist. :biggrin:

Edited by gigantor