Werewolves Then Bf Now?

The legend of the werewolf can be traced back until about 2000bc. This creature was feared, not something you'd want to come face to face with late at night in the deep dark woods. Many cultures had documents describing these vicious hairy man like creatures, how to protect against them, and how to kill them. I know BF isn't generally considered to be vicious, but neither our gorillas, in 1860 explorer Du Chaillu spoke of them as "blood thirsty forest monsters". We live in a world today where myth no longer explains the forces that drive nature, science does. As Darwin's theory of evolution became generally accepted through out the world and man's understanding of nature and wildlife in general grew, Is it possible that man started replacing werewolf sightings with BF and wildman sightings? If you were a person living in that time period having no knowledge of monkeys, apes or anything like BF, how would you describe an encounter with a huge man shaped creature covered in shaggy hair?

Well Ceasar, I think that indeed BF could easily be dubbed a 'werewolf' by early accounts. However (not to get too far out there), there's a certain contingency in the BF camp that believes that 'werewolf' stories come more from the dog faced BF that people claim to see.

Take it another step and certain folks within this contingency believe the dog faced BF (which do not reach the height of the more accepted BF-type creature described) are much more aggressive, thus contributing to the 'werewolf' persona.

Now, I myself am not stating any of the above as 'fact' that there are indeed multiple types of BF in NA, but some folks do believe it.

Cotter

I'm sure a BF, given the right set of circumstances, would become aggressive. I've never herd it mentioned that there are multiple types of BF out there, i find that to be very interesting. There are few things discussed on this forum that are absolute fact.

Guest MikeG

Caesar,

it is perfectly possible that all sorts of uncatalogued creatures, indeed every uncatalogued creature, are simply a human construct.....the product of imagination, darkness, and a fear of the unknown. Reports of incredible creatures have been reducing ever since street lighting and torches replaced candle-light. This period coincided with the gathering of pace of The Enlightenment, when science started to overcome dogma as a means of explaining the world, and helped take a whole lot of nonsense out of the equation. Now, most people seek evidence before believing everything they hear.

However, there is also the danger of automatically lumping all uncatalogued creatures into the file marked "myth". It is perfectly possible that sasquatch is the product of the imagination of our ancestors from tens of thousands of years ago, and that we merely see it because we want to see it. However, myths don't leave their DNA behind, so Ms Ketchum will have a huge say in whether or not our hairy shadow-man belongs in the same file as mermaids and unicorns on one hand, or lions and aardvarks on the other.

Mike

Edited by MikeG

Guest BFSleuth

Caesar, if you want some background on the variety of purported hominid and pongid crypto's, you can start with Sanderson's "Abominable Snowmen, Legend Come to Life" (1961). You can read the entire book online here:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/lcr/abs/index.htm

Bear in mind this was published in 1961, and Sanderson has some rather interesting ways of doing his analysis, but much of it is valid. He also touches on legends around the world and their implications for modern sightings.

I think that werewolves and the ancient European "Wild Man" legends are likely rooted in actual sightings of these creatures that got dressed up with fantastical theories from a scared populace.

Guest Kronprinz Adam

Hi everyone!!

I started to make a connection when I realized that some werewolf stories and Woodewasa [european wild men] legends came from the same regions...France and Central Europe!!!

Of course we have no scientific proof that Werewolves or Woodewasas really existed...but ¿could a hominoid similar to Almasty survive in the european woods until historical times? I mean, if a peasant is familiar (and probably scared) with werewolf stories (also inspired by real wolf attacks and even human attackers), would he identify a hairy hominoid as the same werewolf present on his nightmares?

The online magazine "Bipedia" includes several references to european Woodewasas, and similar creatures (russian hominoids and spanish Basajauns, also greek satyrs), but most of the articles are in french...

http://initial.bipedalism.pagesperso-orange.fr/1.htm

Greetings.

K. Adam.

I also find these stories of the dog-men in North America really scary....there was also a Monster Quest program about these mysterious creatures!!!!

Yes, I have been saying this to folks for years. Reports in recent years still have had "Werewolf" in the description by some of the witness and thats down here by me and Northward

I guess if we were hoping to turn werewolf encounters then into Bigfoot encounters, we would have to ignore all the werewolf and dogman sightings now and filter out all the aspects that aren't squatchy enough for us. that's how social construct belief perpetuation happens. We chuck out what we don't want and keep what we do. It's just American werewolf/dogman phenomenon is its own valid construct with a lesser but equally legitimate following. Bigfoot is fun but some people are not down and are more into werewolves. I loved both growing up.

9780979882265.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PliSaZr2W1U

Guest CT Seeker

Caesar, I tend to agree that if BF were found to be a real creature then that would probably explain some of the werewolf sightings and folklore. Having said that, given that neither are currently proven to exist, couldn't the same thing be said for all those BF sightings over the years possibly being werewolves! :)

This is a cool topic, and thanks Caesar for bringing it up! I want to venture a theory I have, it is my own opinion and I welcome adverse as well as likeminded inputs. In Genesis it says that the sons of God had children with human women, the result was nephilim-giants. Also it was said that the sons of God "sinned" against the animals as well and produced hybrid offspring. Suggestive evidence for this is depictions of humans with dog heads, humans with horse bodies, etc etc on ancient cave walls and such. Could it be that, what theologians would call "fallen angels" and ancient astronaut theorists would likely refer to as "extraterrestrials", actually messed with human and animal genes long ago and what we are seeing today is scarce remnants of these races of .... whatever they were? It might explain how sasquatches are so humanlike, or how something resembling a wolf/wildman, etc could be out there. Like I said, it is my personal opinion that sasquatches are the nephilim, a hybrid race, but I'm always looking to either further my opinion or revise my stand on the subject so please, if anyone has any comments or constructive critique I'd love to hear em!

Guest ajciani

More like werewolves then and still werewolves.

Heard one fellow who saw what the property owner and others knew to be a bigfoot, but he swore up and down, even when the property owner tried to correct him, that there were werewolves on that land. He was also so freaked out by it, that he would not even venture into the area.

Lots of werewolf sightings in southeast Wisconsin, but I don't know how many are legit bigfoot encounters, and how many are just people being caught up in the paranormal Beast of Bray Road and Wolf Boy stuff.