In-Line Trackways

HOLDMYBEER

Inline or with straddle, a track way needs to have tracks that have a discernable human-like form to make them interesting to me. Amorphus blobular shapes should be a clue that they aren't from a humanoid biped.

^^^^^

Yeah.

But you "southern boys" don't appreciate the whole concept of "snow tracks" like us "northern boys" do.

:lol:

Seriously SY:

Any in line tracks in the south?

I've never seen a good trackway out in the open, to really note if the tracks were in line. What I have seen, was tracks in dense and rolling mossy ground forest terrain. Too many trees to step around, to conclude how the subject walked. If it wasn't for the lite covering of snow, they would have certainly been missed.. camoed into the forest floor.

There was one track, that demonstrated (to me) a flex in the foot , that might have been caused from where the subject stepped, and broke a branch down into the track. The toe area and ball of heal were deeper, and the mid track area (with crushed branch) was quite shallow. A "snap" heard (several, actually), was what got the investigator into the locale, to make the find.

I could only conclude, that it wasn't a bear or a boot pattern that made the tracks... and it would have given a barefoot person a mighty sore foot, breaking that branch.

Guest COGrizzly

CO:

I would imagine you have probably see a ton on "in line tracks" made by animals leaping ahead in deep snow.

How would you describe the biggest difference between those tracks and the ones you found that appeared to be bipedal?

Is it the fact that there is no stopping points, as you discussed earlier? Is it how the tracks look inside the snow hole? Or is it the lack of snow disturbance between the tracks?

Yes, I have seen tons of in line tracks by many different animals. Years ago, on the old BFF, I posted a pic of a line of tracks in snow, going uphill. They appeared bipedal. I let people post what they thought it was for a few days....all the while, I knew what made the trackway....because I saw the mule deer make them. The mulie "stotted" up the short hill, then stopped and rummaged around for something to nibble on. Perhaps someone remembers that one??

slabdog - hammer on the head of the nail dude. In between the tracks, there was no snow, no drag marks, nothing. Each "print" had a small pile of snow at the "toe". If you ever have walked in deep snow, you'll notice that as you lift your foot, it deposits a bit of snow at the toe. If you are running, that snow gets thrown all over, in between each track.

After seeing the tracks, I researched high and low to find what animal would have made those tracks. Moose? Mule Deer? Elk? Nope. It certainly was no ungulate. So, what about a small animal such as a fox, snowshoe hair, etc. Nope. It would have been physically impossible. They would have had traces of snow in between each track.

Keep in mind that several other people on the snowmobile tour saw the tracks as well. One man was a life-long big game hunter. He had killed brown bear in Alaska. Lions in Africa. Well over 25 years of big game hunting. I will never forget the look on his face. He was actually frightened. He could not identify them. (He also tipped me very well)

After the tour, I grabbed my buddy and we went back up there to take a closer look. Wally also could not identify them and to this day he can not. Wally was also a guide and had seen tons of tracks. He also is a huge skeptic of the subject. We looked at them for at least 25 minutes. It was a very steep area. I tried to walk next to them and the snow came up to my crotch. I took 4 steps or so and just barely made it to the first track.

If it was a snowshoer going down hill, they would have left snow in between each track. Uphill or downhill.

Nope, I did not have my camera on me and was going to bring it the next day to take pics. It snowed 14 inches that night. Sure wish I had taken pics. And I wish I had strapped on a set of snowshoes and followed them.

I always figured the Skiapod was conceived to explain these straight in-line trackways made by something with an exceptionally large foot and stride. One foot, big, long hop, straight line.

post-1389-088121400 1328488704_thumb.jpg

post-1389-032653900 1328488724_thumb.jpg

Edited by JDL

Yes, I have seen tons of in line tracks by many different animals. Years ago, on the old BFF, I posted a pic of a line of tracks in snow, going uphill. They appeared bipedal. I let people post what they thought it was for a few days....all the while, I knew what made the trackway....because I saw the mule deer make them. The mulie "stotted" up the short hill, then stopped and rummaged around for something to nibble on. Perhaps someone remembers that one??

I Remember from the old forum and the pictures you show do not show what we have seen .The imprint was clearly define and freshly made on one ocassion.You could see the full foot with heel and toes and the flatness with no arch.The print were those of a small child and bare but wide.The length in step was what was also amazing cause it went on for a long distance in the snow.The depth of the snow was only around a 1" and the prints were clear and we had found them at night .It went over debri as went through the forest and it had also followed on the trail as well.Odd but not the first time that tracks were found on trails.

The child size tracks are intriguing. It is extremely improbable that any child would be walking barefoot in the snow. My kids don't last long when there socks get wet. If one was found that went for miles that would be something.

Maybe search and rescue could get called out since obviously a child would be lost in the woods. Wouldn't it be great if they found something else.

Guest tirademan

I always figured the Skiapod was conceived to explain these straight in-line trackways made by something with an exceptionally large foot and stride. One foot, big, long hop, straight line.

Down Under too...

tirademan

post-325-009137400 1328564204_thumb.jpg

post-1117-065619400 1328566977_thumb.jpg

Attached is a photo with an inline track way. There were several factors that intrigued me about the track line. There were two bare foot individuals. One individual had about an 11-1/2" foot the other individual was about 7". The larger foot was keeping pace with the smaller foot. There was no hurry to the walk. So why do both track ways exhibit the inline walking characteristic? I can understand a case being made for a human track line, having an inline stepping pattern, if the individual were running. Running is not evident in this track way. I believe the steps were about thirty inches apart for the larger foot measuring from end of right heel to end of left heel. Also the second feature that has me puzzled is a flexible foot and a flat foot pattern exhibited in the same foot. When flexed, the foot measurement is 1-1/2"smaller than when the same foot is flat or not flexed.

These track ways were discovered at a reservoir in the Cascade Mountains, in Washington State. The reservoir is depleted annually after labor day. I usually go to this spot after the lake level has dropped substantially and the weather turns cold. This does not eliminate the possibility that these track ways were made by a bare foot people. I have a subjective opinion about this but to say my observations are more than anecdotal would be fooling myself.

Edited by Galahad
  • Upvote 1

I could tell you John but then I would have to shoot you!!!.... :0)

All Kidding aside, I found a place where I find impressions every year. To date I have the largest collection of human size foot prints which are most likely human. I taught myself to cast with Hydrocal and will get dermal ridges if the medium is good enough to capture the ridge patterns of the feet. I have found larger impressions at this site but none of them are out of the realm of human. Can't give away to many secrets but there is something a little out of the ordinary happening here that keeps me coming back. My prize is a 3-1/2" baby foot impression.