In-Line Trackways

HOLDMYBEER

I appreciate the replies and photos. Now, to focus things a bit.

1-Is it fair to say that we have no documented reference (photos, reports or news articles) to sasquatch in-line trackways prior to 1960's Bluff Creek?

2- Is it fair to say we have no documented reference by Native American cultures to in-line sasquatch trackways?

3-The Laetoli prints are very interesting but I am calling them not truly 'in-line'. Perhaps if the owner had been traveling faster, the prints would been more linear. They seem to have a subtle straddle of a mid-line. Are there other examples of trackways left by early man, in-line or not?

Here are some 1.5 million year old prints,from erectus I think, that show they are not inline.

Here are tracks from snow shoes. I would think someone wearing "stompers" would leave a similar track. As in how it is spaced,not so much how it looks obviously.

post-3077-062536500 1328585061_thumb.jpg

post-3077-041076800 1328585493_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnC

Here are some 1.5 million year old prints,from erectus I think, that show they are not inline.

Here are tracks from snow shoes. I would think someone wearing "stompers" would leave a similar track.

Snowshoe hair is the best example of a "hoping" through the snow critter I could find.

The owl and the rabbit are just cool.

I did find some examples of "apparent" Sasquatch prints, in the snow,more inline,but they where not very defined,so I did not post them.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/articles/FarmingtonWA08.htm Here is a link if you want to check some out though.

post-3077-014746700 1328587018_thumb.jpg

post-3077-069972800 1328587034_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnC

Snowshoe hair is the best example of a "hoping" through the snow critter I could find.

The owl and the rabbit are just cool.

But with the snow shoe hair or rabit ,fox or any other critter you will find sign of it's nature.The prints that I have seen and the prints that have been posted by G are very simalar to what we have seen in the snow except that they were more define and clear.A flat footed human is what they look like with no flex and plain step bare in the snow.They had the long gate and seem like it had no problem keeping that gate.I am 5' 11" and i could not keep up with that gate or step which was long for a small foot that was wider then mine which I am size 10.If the snow was sand they would be perfect for making cast ,it had detail when we were looking at it in the dark.

In another part of the state the prints were small as well and also had great detail except that the creature was moving side ways on the lake when the lake was frozen.But also there the prints were also in line as it moved through the woods.Same way no flex,flat footed,even footed (if you know what I mean there),and good pattern.Same time of year is another thing that these tracks are showing up.But that not my area so i have not heard much there.

Julio I do not doubt you at all, I am just throwing out examples and observations. I know researchers here in Ontario who seriously consider tracks that are more linear as more credible than not. I am just curious about them,having seen pictures of them in the snow, and some very clear private ones at that, I just wonder why.

Guest ajciani

OK... time to set this straight.

In-line walking (low pitch, low straddle) is the natural walking mode for a human (and pretty much everything else). It is actually the most energy efficient mode of walking, producing the most distance per step, and the longest step for the effort. Men will usually have a few inches to zero straddle, while women may actually have negative straddle.

Duck-footed walking (that's where you waddle like a duck, with your feet splayed out at a high pitch) is the domesticated animal's way of walking. That includes all domesticated animals. It is the least efficient mode, producing short, but easy steps. So if you don't care about the overall effort, but are leisurely in your walk, your feet will pitch out.

Depending on how determined I am to get from point 'A' to point 'B', my walk varies from very duck-footed to perfectly in-line with little straddle. Sometimes I even have negative straddle, if I pump my arms and sway my hips, in a serious power walk. It is not a conscious action, but an action determined by the mechanics of the stride. Reducing the pitch makes the stride longer, and taking a longer stride reduces the pitch.

As for walking on the snow barefoot, I have found that it is a very good way to end up on your bum, especially if your feet are warm. Once they cool down, it starts becoming a little easier.

BTW, the sciapod is an interesting mythological creature. The Japanese have a similar creature called an ippon datara (one-leg bellows), supposedly a fallen god of the forge, which is usually more animal-like, and also a cyclops. The Japanese myth of the ippon datara stems from finding trackways in the mountains which consisted of large footprints spaced so far apart that the trackers determined the creature must have one leg, upon which it hops. I suspect that they may have just been tracking bigfoots (about which the Japanese also have some myths).

The more interesting "mythological" creatures are the Gorgades, which were described as a tribe of hairy people, possibly living on the Canary Islands, who were very good at running away. Apparently not good enough, because according to the Greek historians, the skins of two of the women were presented by Hanno to the Temple of Juno in Carthage, as proof of the story. They were supposedly seized by the Romans and taken to Rome. What is interesting, is that we do know of a family of hirsute people from the Canary Islands.

There is the kind of answer I was looking for, thank you ajciani, I was having difficulty finding anything on it myself, so I am happy to hear more about it.

So is it fair to say that if something like Sasquatch existed, it would use this mode of walking when wanting to cross distance at a good speed? As in taking advantage of their long stride,to settle in and cover distance faster and more efficiently, kinda like we might have jogged?

Edited by JohnC

I've posted on this topic several times before in some detail, but it seems somehow that about half my postings have disappeared. The notion that bigfoot, a supposedly massive biped with a pelvic girdle half again as wide as in the human condition would somehow gain a biomechanical advantage by walking while placing one foot in front of the other with zero to negative straddle is comical to me. Yet somehow a gait similar to that left by a waif thin runway model gets attributed to a sign of legitimacy of purported bf tracks. I can't buy that.

It is normal for all humans both men and women, to exhibit both positive straddle and positive camber (or pitch) under normal walking speed locomotion while unshod. It is definitely true as a general rule than men will exhibit more straddle and camber than most women will. It is definitely not the general rule that women will exhibit zero to negative straddle or camber under normal locomotion while unshod. This doesn't necessarily apply to women in footware that overly elevates the heel.

IMO, every supposed set of bigfoot tracks I've ever seen touted as the real deal that exhibited zero to negative straddle and zero to negative camber that were manifested in soil, are simply not consistent with being manifested by soft tissue under compression.

It is my opinion that what we are seeing in these "picket fence" impressions is a vestibular manifestion and is an unitentional artifact of fakery that Green and company very credulously branded as real and it became so in the world of bigfootery. Wearing a fake set of rigid stompers attached to typical footwear elevates the entire foot and most importantly the heel. When the heel becomes artifically elevated, so do the eyes. When this happens, the vestibular aystem is thrown for a loop and the body subconciously compensates by closing up both straddle and camber. This is further compounded by the fact that if a hoaxer is attempting to mimic typical "bigfoot sized" impressions they're also dealing with an artificial lever than extends beyond the heel at heel strike, and beyond the toes at toe off. There is tons of reasons to approach any set of supposed bf tracks that exhibit the "picket fence" characteristics with caution. It is exactly what you'd expect to see in hoaxed impressions that involve strapping a set of rigid or semi rigid fake stompers to a set of footware and plodding around.

The oldest (117,000 years old) known human footprints are at Langebaan, but there are only three of them, two full and one partial. They've been removed to a museum but here they are in situ:

footprnt.jpg

I can understand what your saying about disagreeing about a large animal not making inline tracks due to the size of it thighs, that's part of the mystery of it all to me, but to say strapping on over sized foot wear would lead to a more inline step does not make sense at all. Thats exactly why I posted the snow shoe tracks, a person wearing oversize foot wear, or stompers, is going to swing out to avoid their foot wear from colliding, not tighten their gate.

Has anyone on this board done a recreation of a track hoax, say, achieving a 17" track with a 4 ft stride? Maintaining in-line trackways while leaving consistent identifiable impressions over a fair distance?

Guest COGrizzly

Has anyone on this board done a recreation of a track hoax, say, achieving a 17" track with a 4 ft stride? Maintaining in-line trackways while leaving consistent identifiable impressions over a fair distance?

That is a very good question! (I have not). Wouldn't that be kind difficult to do?

As long as a suitable substrate is walked on I don't see why there'd be a problem. The average jogger can put down thousands of footprints over several miles in only an hour. I do this when I go running. One might need a little practice to run with 17" "feet" but that's the only barrier I suspect.

As long as a suitable substrate is walked on I don't see why there'd be a problem. The average jogger can put down thousands of footprints over several miles in only an hour. I do this when I go running. One might need a little practice to run with 17" "feet" but that's the only barrier I suspect.

But you are not going to see a consistant track as the ones that I have seen.In my own personal track I see where there is a slight heel mark in the snow where as the tracks that i haveseen there is no marks to be found.It seems like the creature had stepped straight down and left a perfect foot print .straight in line with no variation at all which one cna almost say that they walked along side and took a mold of a foot print and placed it evenly through out it's travel.That is what makes it so odd and why would a hoaxer go through so much trouble to be bent over making these tracks for such a long track way.This does not make sense and to top this in two different locations that are miles apart with the same charactistics of each other.It make no sense unless some one is truely pulling a hoax.