Bigfoot "speech"

Guest The big grey man of ben ma

If it can speak, or mimic human sounds like a parrot does, who knows ? a good indication would be

if they ever retrieved the right amount of genes from a tooth or mandible etc, from a gigantopithecus

/blacki to processes and look for the foxp2 gene, and even at that its still a jump to bigfoot being

related to gigantopithecus. but it would go someway to letting us know.

Edited by The big grey man of ben ma

I would agree on the FOXP2 gene, Neanderthal had our version of it, and the other great apes don't. If that sequence can be had from tissues such as skin tags from hairs then we would certainly have something telling, particularly from hairs that are definitively "not human".

I had a conversation with an African Gray Parrot once at a pet store. I was walking around with a cockatiel on my shoulder and walked past him and he said, " Look at that bird on that girl." I whipped around and said hello to him, and a short little conversation ensued. It was my impression that the African Gray understood every word I said. The owner told me he was on the same level as a five year old with his speech. There has been research to show that the FOXP2 is expressed at a higher level in some birds than in others, and the parrots happen to be one of those species but I must say, I felt like Dr. Doolittle in that pet store because I had no idea that any bird understood what they were saying until then. If they can do it, I don't see why a primate capable of mimicry can't, it just depends on how the brain is wired also.

Guest vilnoori

Great story, Jodie. :) It must have been a smart one. I had two greys as a girl but they were only interested in each other and never did learn to talk. I guess you have to teach them on their own. I did have a pet crow, though, that DID learn to talk. Now they are smart birds!

Never thought of the FOXP2 gene in regards to bigfoot. I guess I would expect them to have it, since I lean to them being in the homo lineage. I wonder where in the past the chromosomes fused to give the human 23 pairs of chromosomes instead of the big ape 24 pairs. That would be an intriguing thing to know. Oh, and having the gene doesn't confer the ability to talk, it just confers the ability to symbolize language in the brain. Talking also depends on the vocal apparatus, the dexterity of tongue, etc. Its a very complicated business.

Just my two cents on the African grays... A M A Z I N G. Similar experiences J. A friend has one that imitates EVERYTHING.

And it offers the perfect questions or statements when asked or talked to. Its an amazing amazing bird that answers questions. I think the potential for the older ones well trained is... probably off the charts for most people.

You know if something with the brain the size of a walnut can carry on a conversation with you, surely bigfoot could if he has the right muscles, genes, and hardwire in the brain.

Evidently parrots haven't mastered ventriloquism. Handy talent those southern bigfoot specimens enjoy.

Edited by Incorrigible1

Evidently parrots haven't mastered ventriloquism. Handy talent those southern bigfoot specimens enjoy.

:lol: You are so funny! I just LOVE it. :lol:

Edited by Sasfooty

Guest The big grey man of ben ma

Looking at the what little evidence we have from the fossil records of large bi peeds apart from

us and Neanderthals, the head on all the others are placed so far forward that the bone and

vocal track is too short, for the full range of sounds, in saying that it looks like they would be able

to make the high pitched sounds that people have recorded from time to time, not saying that

the recording are real in anyway but it looks like its capable of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiQEIRUfMp4&feature=related

Edited by The big grey man of ben ma

Looking at the what little evidence we have from the fossil records of large bi peeds apart from

us and Neanderthals, the head on all the others are placed so far forward that the bone and

vocal track is too short, for the full range of sounds, in saying that it looks like they would be able

to make the high pitched sounds that people have recorded from time to time, not saying that

the recording are real in anyway but it looks like its capable of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiQEIRUfMp4&feature=related

Interesting stuff Big Grey, I can be certain that the vocal I posted up thread was from something that lives in the wild and it intrigues me that it seemed to produce two of the three cardinal vowels in an articulated shift which are the corner stones of human speech. ;)

BFF Patron

Helium and Steroids is the way I saw it! :lol:

I guess that is the theory , based on the available area for the voice box, they figure it was smaller. Smaller vocal folds makes higher pitched sounds because they vibrate faster. It's a bit odd to picture a robust male Neanderthal with a squeaky high pitched voice. Neanderthals are said to have shorter necks and slightly more prognathus than humans, so it is debated that the larynx wasn't as decended as ours and potentially sets up a disproportion of the oral and pharangeal regions of the vocal tract that would not allow fully human vowel sounds and thus speech.

There are numerous suspected sasquatch vocalizations that would suggest rather large vocal chords and they are literaly described as having almost no neck, so nature must be finding a way around this problem. :)

The idea of a high pitched voice paints a strange picture. This robustness of neandertals also seems a bit over rated to me particularly if they rarely exceed five feet six in height and perhaps up to 200 lb. That is about the size of some good lookin well developed half backs in the NFL. Not imposing really compared to a 10 foot individual that is nearly five times heavier in mass.