Using Robert Morgan's Methods For An Encounter

Has anyone ever read the Bigfoot Observer's Field Manual? If you have, have you ever used any of his methods successfully? Please share your experiances!

BFF Patron

I actually used similar methods before reading his book (doesn't mean I hadn't listened to folks espousing similar approaches).

They worked for me. It is one reason I am not in the "wood ape" camp.

They work in areas where you might expect them to work. Do I think it is something that works universally in all environments, probably not. YMMV.

I own this book and read it many times, I have used a few of the methods and the land check list in the book and have already had some good success. I plan on employing more of the ideas and methods at my new area this spring !

Yes, I inadvertently used many of these techniques when I had my first two encounters. After I read his book, a lot of things made sense, it's very logical in it's approach. Great $20 spend. Highly recommended, though some of his ideas might be hard to swallow if you are firmly in the ape camp. Otherwise, his techniques led to encounters three, four and five.

It was the most important Bigfoot book I read. I shared a good deal about the results of applying his method in the Habituating Bigfoot thread.

Edited by apehuman

I've read his book and have been employing bits and pieces (it's tough for me to get out more than a night or two at a crack). I've also employed a bit of an 'identifier' when I go out there (a series of notes played on a harmonica). No excitement or the like as of yet, but definitely seems like it's a logical approach.

Time will tell.

I've read most of this book...I sure wish I had the time and patience for all the groundwork (mapping, etc). As far as the other stuff in there...makes sense. Have not yet deployed any techniques yet but will soon!

Making maps can be FUN. It definitely made some interesting connections in my area. It's one thing to read it but another to see it. Cuts down on a lot of guesswork if you have limited time and resources as I do.

I've read his book and have been employing bits and pieces (it's tough for me to get out more than a night or two at a crack). I've also employed a bit of an 'identifier' when I go out there (a series of notes played on a harmonica). No excitement or the like as of yet, but definitely seems like it's a logical approach.

Time will tell.

That works, so hang in there with it.

Edited by apehuman

I lke the maps and research. Especially thru native american archives or legends. Also like to hit up the local historical societies. They have a wealth of info in regards to old indian settlements, mines, and old names for hills and mountains. I also hang a sheet of paper with my contact info at the local general store, library, or hunter's supply. The hunters are the most freaked out cuz everyone starts off saying, "I've been in the woods all my life, and I've NEVER seen........."

Making maps can be FUN. It definitely made some interesting connections in my area. It's one thing to read it but another to see it. Cuts down on a lot of guesswork if you have limited time and resources as I do.

Oh I agree! Did plenty of it while getting a degree in geography. :) Just trying to find the time to amass the data needed for a practical map.

• 4 months later...

I just finished it and thought it was awesome. It's definitely in my top 5 BF books ever. Morgan shows a real compassion and understanding for these creatures. Additionally, what he writes, simply makes sense.