Dude, What?

I'm watching the show on Animal Planet, and Moneymaker is claiming that Bigfoot has bioluminescent eyes, and I'm like... what?? 

Is there any precedent of this, ever? Has this been suggested... ever?? Or is this just dillusional people making things up??

I know what I'm thinking.

Admin

Moneymaker makes a lot of claims, none that he can prove or verify, mind you.  To listen to him, you would think he is a Bigfoot. He claims to know everything about them. Always has an explanation for anything Bigfoot, presented to him. He is like a polar opposite to Ranae. JMO

I'm watching the show on Animal Planet, and Moneymaker is claiming that Bigfoot has bioluminescent eyes, and I'm like... what?? 

Is there any precedent of this, ever? Has this been suggested... ever?? Or is this just dillusional people making things up??

umm, yes.  Seen by many people (not me).  Read the many post on eye glow which is very distinctive than eye shine.

Reminds me of that episode where he had the theory that the bigfoot the witnesses saw was a "twin". I remember looking at my husband and we both said. "Say what??" At the same time. It was totally random. ha!

I've seen their eye shine under some really low-light situations; but they appeared to be just reflecting, not glowing. But, very rarely, some people do in fact have glowing eyes.

http://www.blippitt.com/asian-boy-with-glowing-eyes-can-see-in-the-dark-video/

Admin

Branco, I have seen that boy featured on TV.  He is as rare as they come.

Guest Urkelbot

I think meldrum said recently that it wouldn't be possible to have bioluminescent eyes.  Anyone have the quote?

If there was light generated from within the eye it would interfere with normal vision.  The opsin protein in rods and cones would constantly be excited from photons being generated within the eye.  It would be like sticking a little flashlight right up against the side of your eyeball.  If someone is seeing glowing eyes, not tapetum lucidum reflection,  it's most likely not Bigfoot or any eyes at all.  If it just has to be Bigfoot glowing a better assumption would be bioluminescent spots used for communication or sexual selection like a peacocks tail, which is probably just as far fetched.

Quick thoughts on the tapetum lucidum.  It appears to be a fairly common adaptation amongst vertebrates having been evolved independently several times. When primates lost the tapetum lucidum is up for debate.  Its possible primates may not have originated nocturnal but were in fact diurnal based upon the opsin genes in some nocturnal lemurs.

Strepsirrhini primates, of which lemurs belong, evolved a unique tapetum which uses riboflavin to reflect light, for most mammals it's collagen.

Concerning Bigfoot, the evolution of a tapetum would have had to occur after it diverged off whatever branch of the great ape tree.  It would have to be an independently evolved structure different than previous examples.  It is not really possible to re-evolve an adaptation once it is lost.  Once a gene is no longer useful there is no selective pressure keeping it from mutating.  It's called Dollo's law and while it's not a hard and fast rule, there are some examples that counter  it,  but the tapetum lucidum was lost to primates somewhere around 50 million years ago.  I couldn't find what genes are responsible, they may not be known yet, for the tapetum but they are mostly likely unrepairable junk to primates at this point.

So there's a decent chance the shine coming off Bigfoot could be completely different, in color anyway.  Or it could resemble the other current examples due to convergent evolution.

Concerning the Asian boy with the glowing eyes I think it's garbage.  It originally showed up as a story in 2009 and then the exact same news story in 2012.  It's probably a hoax or a joke.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1358962/pdf/12545693.pdf

http://www.pnas.org/content/102/41/14712.full.pdf

http://books.google.ca/books?id=gaRjlE9BEk8C&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=lemur+tapetum+lucidum&source=bl&ots=qMsrcBb_ti&sig=XVKJcEqjZOitEzfWDUhnO8oT1cI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=RfvpUvPuB5GBogThs4KoBw&ved=0CCUQ6AEwADgU#v=onepage&q=lemur%20tapetum%20lucidum&f=false

http://www.livescience.com/18209-china-cat-eyed-boy-night-vision.html

SSR Team

He has to make the kinds of outlandish claims bless him, as they need to keep viewers.

The show has never and will never reach its objective so they have to keep viewer interest somehow.

• Upvote 1

bioluminescent eyes is impossible from a biology point of view. It is the stuff of monster shows. However I have witnessed it first hand. There are also many other witness accounts of the same.

Moneymaker has demonstrably had lucid moments.

http://www.bfro.net/avevid/mjm/deerkills.asp

But why one would want to take flights of fancy with simple eyeshine is beyond me.

It's stretching the credulity of the mainstream (and shouldn't be, really) enough that sasquatch seem to demonstrate eyeshine in the first place.  Why - and this seems a specialty of this field - pile unproven upon unproven like this?

Edited by DWA

Biolum eyes? Yeah, that would be a pretty strange adaptation, and for what purpose I couldn't predict. Biolum patches on a furred body that spends its life in damp, dirty, moldy conditions? Yep, that would be possible. Recent studies show sloths cultivate a community of moths on their fur,whose excrement fertilize algae, which the sloth eats.  What kind of bio community do you think a BF would harbor?

Guest zenmonkey

Reflective eyes. Yes. Actual shine?? Doubtfull love Matt for his enthusiasm but I think he gets excited and always has to have an awnser for everything. He needs to break that wall and learn that "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable awnser.

My little bro said when the flashlight hit the hairy guy's face its eyes were amber colored.  I personally have seen a bluish silver color and I've seen a daytime photo with a juvenile facing the camera who's eyes were just going pinkish almost red.  The sunlight could have had something to do with the red being washed out to pink, but that is just speculation on my part.

Peace